Auto relist vs automation relisting rule & fees - frustration!

htc_can
Community Member

Happy Monday all!  So after 3 rounds of hair-pulling, yelling at my screen, frustrating online chat "help" conversations, I thought I'd come here to see if I can get some input. I have all my auctions set up as auction style and I apply the automation rule to continuously relist until sold. I've had no issue with this to date. I suddenly noticed when I happened to look at a statement, that I'm now being charged weekly insertion fees at the beginning of April. I realize it's because the promo ended - it just caught me off guard as I don't think I've ever knowingly been charged an insertion fee before, so some kind of notification or "hey, we're taking more money now" kind of message would have been nice.  Fine, moving on. So I'm now trying to figure out the best way to now deal with my listings so I'm not being charged the weekly relist fee due to the rule. I know "Fixed price" is one option and you then just get charged monthly, but I prefer auction format.  The chat told me about "auto-relist" that relists up to 8 times for free - as does this page....but I don't see that? When I go to make a listing, I only see relist up to 2 times?  Am I missing something?  Thanks for the help, community!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Auto relist vs automation relisting rule & fees - frustration!

There may be differences between dotCOM (which the eBay reps would be more familiar with) and dotCA.

Did you specifically tell the reps (if you were on social media Chats, they are eBay employees, unlike the phone reps) that you are in Canada?

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822https://www.ebay.com

Is it possible you are using Gallery Plus which has a 35c charge for non-Store sellers?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

tyler@ebay

jasmen@ebay 

As @htc_can  pointed out, the help pages mention that auctions do get the option to be relisted for free for up to 8 times so it suggests that everyone has that option. But there are often posts from sellers who had that option and now don't. If It is only for a limited time and just for some sellers, perhaps the help pages can clarify that.  Could you also clarify for the op on how it works?

If you select the auto-relist option (if available) when you create your listing:

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

htc_can
Community Member

@femmefan1946  Thank you for responding. 🙂 I am indeed using ebay.ca - and I made that clear with the online chat representatives in each conversation. I'm not using the gallery option either - I try not to add anything on that will cost me extra money UNLESS I have a very high value item....which is exceedingly rare. 

@pjcdn2005  Thank you for amplifying my concerns. I would indeed like to know why I see differing info - and why it should matter whether I am using .ca or .com.  I've been a member since 1999 - when it was only ebay.com, so I should think I should be given the same benefits no? jasmen@ebay  tyler@ebay 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Hey guys! 

@htc_can 

@pjcdn2005 

I'm happy to pass along any feedback for sure. This feature is typically for newer sellers. Once you are more established the option will go away over time. Thanks! 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

htc_can
Community Member

jasmen@ebay  Thank you. But why isn't that indicated in the help pages?  And why are those of us who are long-time members/clients, not offered this option? I feel like this should actually be reversed, in that we are rewarded for our loyalty?  Also, over the course of 3 online chat conversations I had, this was not explained to me. Could we please get further clarification?  @pjcdn2005  velvet@ebay 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I'm happy to pass along the feedback for sure @htc_can if I get an update I will be sure to let you know! 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

The FREE auto-list for up to 8 times for auction listings is available for listings on .COM, not .CA

There is no free-auto list for auction listings on .CA

Auction listings on .COM see this option in the listing form: "Automatically relist this item up to 8 times if it doesn't sell. No insertion or optional listing upgrade fees for each relist"

Auction listings on .CA will see this option in the listing form: "Automatically relist this item up to 2 times if it doesn't sell. Fees may apply for each relist."

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

htc_can
Community Member

@mrdutch1001  Thank you. But the "up to 8 times" information appears on the ebay.CA help page?  

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/relisting-items?id=4147

jasmen@ebay  Thank you. But is there a response to my actual question (it's not just feedback). Why do the help pages indicate free re-listing up to 8 times, with no qualifier that you have to be a new member, nor just American?   Sorry to push the point, but I've asked this question many times now, with no response.  I don't believe it to be unreasonable, as there is a financial implication for ebay members.  velvet@ebay  I look forward to your response.

Link to help page: https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/relisting-items?id=4147

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I understand for sure @htc_can we're not sure why the help pages aren't clear on that. This is why I'm happy to pass along the feedback to the correct teams to make sure that's outlined propperly. If we get a response from the team we're happy to share it here as well! 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

eBay gets lazy when it comes to what is printed on its help pages= Much of what is printed on .CA help pages is copy and paste from .COM help pages with little regard for accuracy and often does not get revised for proper application to the .CA site.

I am located in Canada, and I am not a new user, and have been using the free 8x free re-list option for quite some time... I use.COM for some of my listings and I do use the auction format more so than fixed price and I do use the option feature for the free up to 8xs re-listing(the listings automatically end after the 8th time if not sold and allowed to go the full duration)

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

htc_can
Community Member

jasmen@ebay  velvet@ebay  Thank you.  Please do, and I will continue to follow up here regularly to see a response. I am admittedly concerned by your reply:  "IF we get a response..".   In doing some research, it appears others have had this concern for quite some time, so this is definitely not a new issue.  It is clear misinformation on eBay's part,  with a resulting negative financial implication for eBay members. There seems to be a bias towards US members as well, with Canadians being ignored.  As such, I expect a "WHEN we get a response" answer, and I would anticipate our receiving that answer, very soon.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

htc_can
Community Member

jasmen@ebay velvet@ebay   Hi there - it's been 10 days - any update yet?

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Good Morning @htc_can unfortunatly we don't have an update yet. Thank you for your time. 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

htc_can
Community Member

jasmen@ebay velvet@ebay  Good evening! It's now been 3 weeks - I would imagine there would be some kind of status update?  Thank you.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Unfortunately not @htc_can we've passed along the feedback but can't guarantee an answer or a change. IF I hear anything back I will for sure update you.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

There is incorrect information on the page; however, that is both misleading and false. How is that not a priority to fix for eBay?  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. These aren't the ramblings of some newbie disgruntled seller. I am a long-time, loyal customer, and from researching these very boards, am not the first to bring up this concern.  I would expect a resolution from eBay. 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

htc_can
Community Member

jasmen@ebay velvet@ebay  Good morning!  As it's been a full month and a half since my initial inquiry, I would imagine there would be an answer for me now. At no other company have I encountered such a long response time. Can you please provide an update? Thank you.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Hey there @htc_can like mentioned we can't gauantee any changes with the feedback given or a reply. If we hear anything back we'll keep you posted for sure! 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply