Buyer Using Concierge to Override Original CS Rep Decision and Win Case

UPDATE: I just got a message from ebay that they closed the case in the buyers favor even though I didn't get the item back. I was sent this message by ebay before they closed the case:

We asked the buyer to return the item - Case #5236176412

Thanks for trying to work with the buyer. Unfortunately, it looks like the issue wasn't resolved. We reviewed this case and decided to ask the buyer to return the item to you.

Once tracking information confirms that the item has been delivered to you, the buyer will be issued a refund. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping. eBay will recover the refund amount from you.

This case will not affect your seller performance.

5 days later I get this message:

This case is now closed

We reviewed this case and decided to issue the buyer a full refund.

The buyer claimed that the item didn't match the description.

A refund of US $65.99 was issued on Jun 12, 2020 to the buyer. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

This amount will be debited from the payment method on your account.

eBay will refund the applicable tax back to the buyer.

It looks like the buyer was able to use concierge to bully his way into getting a free item. 

Original post:

I'm a top rated seller and have been selling on ebay for over 15 years. I've

been a victim of my fare share of scams, and something with this buyer just doesn't feel right. The buyer was interested in a vintage Mint in Box action figure I listed and asked me to send him some close up shots so he could assess the condition before he bought it. After I sent the photos, he purchased the item. The day he received the item he opened a case on ebay saying the item was defective and wanted a full refund. He said that the paint was flaking off the figure and there were spider cracks on it. I asked him to send photos of the damage as those were not there when I sent it, and he sent me photos that did't show any of the defects he was talking about. He insisted that the figure was defective so I accepted the return, but as stated clearly in my listing, the buyer pays for return shipping. When I mentioned this, the seller quickly responded that because he told ebay the item was defective, return shipping is on the seller and that I have to provide a prepaid shipping label. He seemed to know how ebays system worked in favor of the buyer and took advantage of it. I told him I would pay for return shipping after he returned the item and sent me the receipt with the weight of the item to make sure I wasn't being sent an empty box. He refused. I offered to send him funds to paypal first so he could use it to pay for shipping but he had to show me the receipt and he refused again. He said he would not return anything unless I sent him a prepaid shipping label. I thought that was very strange because I even offered to reimburse him first but he insisted on getting a prepaid shipping label. I called ebay and spoke to someone from the appeal center and she looked at my case. She told me she also did not see the damage the buyer claimed there was in the photos and she understood my concern about being scammed. The buyer also messaged me with profanity which was another red flag. The Cs rep told me not to worry and that she would send a message to the buyer to return the item first. 

The next day I get a message from ebay concierge stating that the buyer could not send out the item because there was a problem getting a label and that I needed to send the buyer a prepaid shipping label or the case could be closed in the buyers favor and he could keep the item and get a refund. How does a buyer whose only been on ebay for a couple of years with 55 feedback get concierge service? How does a buyer with a history of leaving negatives to sellers get concierge service? This buyer seems to know what he's doing and used concierge to override the cs reps decision. It's almost clear as day that this buyer is trying to scam me. Why not just take my paypal return shipping money and return the item? 

I called ebay again and this time spoke to another Cs rep who told me to ignore the concierge email. The Cs rep said that the buyer would be told to return the item to me and that I didn't need to worry about sending a prepaid shipping label. She said put notes on my case and gave me her name and a reference number.

The case closes tomorrow but I'm not sure what's going to happen because I haven't heard back from the buyer. I sent a message to the rep from concierge and they haven't responded either. 

In my resolution center, it says the case is on hold until July 12th as they are still waiting for information from the buyer about the item damage.

Has anyone experienced anything like this where 2 ebay reps say different things and one overrides the other? 

ReplyForward
Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0