Buyer Was Allowed to Open a Case for Item Not Received

This is annoying.  I shipped an item to the States April 16th (11 business days) and today eBay allowed a buyer to open a case for Item Not Received.

Even during the best of times that's not long enough.

Just letting off steam because I don't understand why eBay would allow the buyer to open a case during the pandemic after only 11 business days for item not received.

What are they thinking?

What am I supposed to do with this?  

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Buyer Was Allowed to Open a Case for Item Not Received

u guys should google netparcel paypal. u link this to your paypal account and u can ship to the us via ups and get heavy discounts. like i sell alot of blurays. to ship a bluray to the us canada post cost $12 via air mail $17-18 tracked packet. with netparcel i can send the same shipment for ups ground for $9-12 cad. u get full tracking and $100 insurance before this virus thing u also use to get an ontime money back guarantee but that's not being honored atm.

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

@universal-solder 

Have you changed your Handling time for one or two days to five, seven or even 30 days?
That should make the delivery period that eBay gives the buyer longer.

and we deal with 2 to 5 threatening customers every day these days.

WOW!

The norm is maybe one in 100 industry wide-- and that includes damage in transit.

Take a close look at your listings. There has to be something you are doing to be so much above the norm.

Your category- some are more difficult than other (dolls for example are very high dispute/high fraud).

Your Terms of Sale- are they friendly or threatening?

Your pictures or descriptions- are they missing something they should have (for example clothing needs measurements not just sizes.)

Keep in mind that No Returns does not mean No Refunds but even with a 'no returns' policy, you are still allowed to demand return before refunding,although you may have to pay for the shipping back.

@aaron158-9 

I tried netParcel and it was about $4 cheaper than Paypal. Then they charged me $7.99 for no apparent reason.
I got the money back and went back to postage stamps.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@femmefan1946There support has always been super helpful when things like that happened. i always have been able to get a credit. just make sure u measure and wight it right and if u can take pictures of the measurement and wight just so u have proof ups likes to be sneaky sometimes and over weights things. but netparcels support always is helpful and disputes it for u and gets a credit. its only happened maybe 2 or 3 times out of 30 or 40 packages though.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

@universal-solder @femmefan1946 

I'm actually a semi regular customer of Universal Solder, and they provide great stuff.

But, the "makers" and "DIY" can be a bit of a hard target, mainly because you get folks who want to do XYZ, but they buy ABC. Or they don't know how to do something. Or they simply have no clue how things in the real world work. They want cheap prices but are the first to complain when it doesn't arrive.

Some time ago I went to the route of having very few items that didn't have tracking, mainly because people were so....unaware of how the world works. I recall I had a calculator someone bought, just lettermail. They wanted to get it by a specific date, I tolf them by lettermail it will arrive this date, if you want faster it costs you. So they say nevermind. So clearly they didn't need it by then, they just figured me as a seller would throw good money to waste.

I like the idea of spend $$ and shipping is free, everything else there is flat rate, but you do lose out on some customers. Or another option is to make bundles, where there is a good mix of everything and the total profit/cost/price allows you to do all tracked shipping. Trust me, if you want less headaches that's the way to go, and your customer base may shrink a bit but....the customers you keep will be good ones.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

As experienced sellers keep saying-- Buyers Don't Read.

I guess this comes under that heading.  I had a buyer on another ID open a dispute on the basis that the stamp he purchased had no gum-- which was mentioned in the title and in the description.

(I asked him to return it, and sent a shipping label. He didn't use the label, and I won the dispute.)

Even more annoying than the confused bidder syndrome is Paypal's policy of not returning their fees on a refunded transaction.

I can understand why, they did do the work (twice!), but it still rankles to be out real money for some dimwit's error.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

Just thought I'd post an  update about how my Item Not Received case was resolved.

The buyer messaged me at about 4:30 PM on May 7th to let me know that if the item hadn't arrived by May 11th that she would escalate the case and get an  automatic refund by eBay.

I replied and told her that I'd start a trace immediately via the PO and would appreciate the time required to do the trace.

At about 8:30 the buyer closed the case and told me it had arrived safely.

I give buyers the benefit of the doubt but it's very unlikely that the package was delivered during those 4 hours when most Post Offices have completed deliveries for the day.

When buying labels on line it's very difficult for buyers to be able to tell the difference between tracked packaged and those shipped without tracking.  

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

Just thought I'd post an  update about how my Item Not Received case was resolved.

The buyer messaged me at about 4:30 PM on May 7th to let me know that if the item hadn't arrived by May 11th that she would escalate the case and get an  automatic refund by eBay.

I replied and told her that I'd start a trace immediately via the PO and would appreciate the time required to do the trace.

At about 8:30 the buyer closed the case and told me it had arrived safely.

I give buyers the benefit of the doubt but it's very unlikely that the package was delivered during those 4 hours when most Post Offices have completed deliveries for the day.

You don't say where the buyer is located, but if they're on the west coast and/or they weren't at home (for whatever reason) at the time that first message was sent, I'd say it's entirely possible.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

You can use Small Packet Air USA. For items under 100 grams, it is 7.32, for items under 200 grams, it is 8.96.

It isn't supposed to come with tracking, but you can manually add tracking by copying the bar code number from the shipping label from Shippo into the eBay item page. It is finicky in that it only updates on the eBay item page, and only updates when the item is handed off to USPS. So there is no pickup scan.

Usually, items arrive in 5 or so business days, sometimes sooner. Lately, I've had a few issues, but it is a reliable way to send tracked to the US for smaller packages.
Message 28 of 36
latest reply

exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. l promptly shipped a coin to usa, 4-5 days after purchase the american opened a case, saying he had not received item. couple days later l had to refund him.  now, l have absolutely no doubt he received the coin a few days later....and this was no stranger to ebay with 200 or so score against his name

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

I am wondering how and why ebay is letting these scams happen. In our case the estimated shipping time was 10 business days plus 3 business days handling time. The scammer had the refund long before that had elapsed after opening a not received claim the day it shipped (yes regular day 3, sold friday evening shipped monday before post office cutoff) like 2 hours after it was marked shipped. Ebay is just letting these americans do this....

Customer service tried arguing that since we did not ship from USA that we had no seller protection and therefore it was our fault??? Then the second rep tried saying that there is no such thing as a business day??? The third rep tried to do some shell trick with the math and was clearly an idiot. Any 2nd grader could do circles around this guy's totally flawed math logic.

Then the other way around. Bought a fancy lcd cell phone cord from a seller in china. 59 days later tried to open a not received case and ebay promptly let us know that not enough time had elapsed yet therefore a case could not be opened yet and we had to wait 5 more days (yes 64 days total is what it said). Well 5 days later there was no record on ebay anywhere that there was ever such an item bought, nowhere, not even in the resolution center. Had to make a paypal claim. Then to top it off half of the $5 was paid for with ebay bucks so the total refund ended up being $2.43 and the ebay bucks were lost. What a joke....

This time the ebay reps said we had waited too long to make a claim... Really?

Message 30 of 36
latest reply

I’ve never heard of anyone being able to open an inr on eBay until after the estimated delivery date.  Did the open the claim on PayPal?

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:
You can use Small Packet Air USA. For items under 100 grams, it is 7.32, for items under 200 grams, it is 8.96.

200g is for oversize letterpost

250g is used for Small Packet (an extra 50g to play with).

-..-

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Even if you used small packet you can enter the number on eBay in the tracking field and there is a good chance it will show some movement though it might not update immediately.

Does anyone have any information about how eBay handles this type of situation when a buyer opens and INR case and a small packet scan shows that the item was delivered?

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Even if you used small packet you can enter the number on eBay in the tracking field and there is a good chance it will show some movement though it might not update immediately.

Does anyone have any information about how eBay handles this type of situation when a buyer opens and INR case and a small packet scan shows that the item was delivered?

Several threads have Sellers who report success when defending INR claims.

I suspect works best when the label is purchased via Shippo or PayPal as that ties the label to a particular order.

-..-

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

I here ya ,  just got a email from a buyer down in the U.S. , item has not been received , so I tried to explain to the buyer about the situation are countries are in and that shipping is very slow right now , but they still don't understand , might have to shut down selling to the United states for a while , to many emails about were is my item , ( no patience )

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

Just call the bloody CSR line.  YOu have to burrow intoe the help pages to find it.  The is dispute is invalid, the CSR will close it in your favor.  

This just happened to me.  The bloody buyer was annoying little gnat.  Wanted shipping fee refunded due to late delivery.  

Message 36 of 36
latest reply