Buyer claimed INR when he did get it.

I sold a CD worth $18 on another ID in Feb 2021 to a Canadian buyer (my US buyers all have tracking).  Buyer emailed me yesterday March 24/21 stating he had still not received it.  I told him to file an INR with ebay as they keep track and then I would refund.  I also told him I was a one person show who supplemented my pension by selling music.  Well wouldn't you know it, today he emails me and stated that he actually did get the CD, his wife had filed it with his CD's.   I didn't believe him in the first place.  Would you block this buyer?  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

No I would not!

You sent without tracking (as I do for Canadian orders that can ship Lettermail), the buyer could have opened the INR and they would have won without a doubt.

The fact they didn't go that route indicates they are not a problem buyer.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Tracking is a Seller protection.

Choosing not to use it, as I also usually do, means taking a chance that you will be hit with a false INR dispute.

The buyer asked (politely?), investigated further, and responded with an explanation of his error.

No foul, no penalty.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

My morning coffee may not have taken effect yet, but as I understand it:

-buyer advised it didn't arrive

-buyer later advised it did arrive and explained why

-you still have the money

If the buyer was planning to rip you off, they wouldn't have come back, they'd have purchased more stuff before you blocked them...

I've also had many similar stories (my customer set is generally retired):

-wife filed it away

-buyer filed it away and forgot

-buyer confused who's stuff was missing (not mine!)

-got lost in amongst junk mail

-ther package got put into my barbeque by the post office delivery person and I didn't find it till weeks later

-etc etc

Many of these were after the refund and the buyers fixed it up.

One of the unfortunate things these boards do is they tend to paint the picture that all customers are criminals when that is very much not the case (for most categories anyway).

If this were my situation, I'd welcome more purchases from the buyer.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

@musicyouneed2 wrote:

Would you block this buyer?  

Block an honest buyer... Nope.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

no, he's obviously just clueless and made an earnest mistake.  He also made the effort to contact you to own up to it, which a dishonest person would never do.   

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Why the heck would you block an honest buyer? 🙄 I would love to have this buyer as a return buyer! They actually did wait a month before messaging you. If they did file an INR and you did refund them already, then ask the buyer if it'd be okay for you to re-invoice him for payment. If they are honest, they will re-pay the invoice. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@darak10 wrote:

no, he's obviously just clueless

How is the buyer obviously just clueless?

Message 8 of 8
latest reply