Buyers making lowball offers

This is a Thing, I guess, is it....?

I don' t have "best offer" on my listings -- have just never bothered with it.  I rarely list much but suddenly in 2 days I've had 2 offers anyway.  One person wanted multiple items and offered 80% of the value, which I guess isn't awful, although I'm not in a big hurry and hope to get the asking prices... BUT, he also wanted free shipping to the States.  I  might have considered his offer otherwise, but shipping would be $24!!  I told him that and haven't heard back.

Then someone else messaged asking for a similar discount for an item that's already somewhat below what others have sold for.  He's a poor student putting himself through school, etc.

I don't HAVE the "make offer" option!  These are clutter-cleanout listings, so maybe at some point I'll be willing to give stuff away to get rid of it, but like I said, hoping to get asking prices for now.  If this happens to any of you, are you tempted to sell or do you always decline?  Do you wonder if you're being greedy and maybe are losing your chance to sell if you don't accept?

If you did decide to accept an offer, do you have to cancel the current listing and re-list, or can you add best-offer to it?

If it's several items, I'm assuming you'd have to cancel and re-list as a lot?  

Without the offer option, the first message I got sounded like a request to buy outside of eBay somehow.  

Anyway, just interested in people's thoughts. 

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Buyers making lowball offers

Anytime a seller cancels an order prior to shipment for reasons other than that the buyer asked for that or there was a critical flaw with the postal address, the seller gets a defect. Depending on that seller's number of transactions, they are allowed a certain number of those defects. This seller may have a history but still be within the range. eBay is well aware of how bad cancelled orders are to the buyer experience which is the whole reason it's one of only two unpardonable offenses on the dashboard. It is, however, puzzling that your friend should have to put any effort into getting her money back. Cancelled orders should be immediately refunded.
Message 41 of 42
latest reply

Re: Buyers making lowball offers

@mjwl2006 wrote:
 It is, however, puzzling that your friend should have to put any effort into getting her money back. Cancelled orders should be immediately refunded.

Yeah, don't know what's going on there.  She hasn't said any more about it so maybe she got the refund.

On the subject of stupid offers....  WHAT the !!!! is the point, of putting "best offer" on your listings, if you are going to counter a reasonable offer with a counter offer that is ONE CENT less than the buy-it-now price!??  I mean, really!?!!!!  SMH.... Smiley Frustrated

Message 42 of 42
latest reply