Buyers name is their email address

Just had a sale and found the name on the address is actually their email address which seems strange. I checked Paypal and it is their email address.

Not sure what I think about this, buyer has over 1600 feedbacks.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@triber wrote:

Just had a sale and found the name on the address is actually their email address which seems strange. I checked Paypal and it is their email address.

User names that were email addresses or domain names were allowed in the early days of eBay. They were banned in 1999 (or maybe early 2000), anyone with an existing user id that was no longer allowed was grandfathered and allowed to keep it.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

as long as the address is correct, it really doesn't matter what they use for a name.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

If I were to go back in time, RICARMIC* would not be my ebay id.... however over time it is now in so many places it is too much trouble to change it.

When this user first started on ebay they were likely as new to things as I was then and they picked whatever seemed to make sense in the moment.....

*one advantage of ricarmic is that it is almost never taken, unless it is some Russians that subsequently want to sell it back to me on some other new site!!!
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I don't think it's allowed anymore, but at one time many people used their email as an ID.

There have been a lot of changes in email IDs since the turn of the millennium.

Most of those on my mailing lists are some form of the persons actual name, sometimes the same over several email suppliers.

Which means your lawyer is probably not emailing you as sexxychik666@whateverdottv these days.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

As long as you don't have signature required for delivery, then usually not a problem.

Some countries are very fussy about exact names for mail, but Canada is not one of those.

-..-

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@triber wrote:

User names that were email addresses or domain names were allowed in the early days of eBay. They were banned in 1999 (or maybe early 2000), anyone with an existing user id that was no longer allowed was grandfathered and allowed to keep it.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If the package is going to another country, there is a small chance that the lack of 'real' name would cause a problem as border officials like to know who is expecting the package. However, I've sent the odd thing to the US in similar cases and never had had a problem.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I had that recently too. I mailed it with tracking and it was delivered without incident.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thank you, I know eBay doesn't want email addresses to be visible, but  this one would be impossible to hide!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Hi triber, had one yesterday as well. Going to TX. On the PayPal site it showed the email as their name but on my Email from PayPal it showed the actual name. Addresses were the same.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Yep I recently had one addressed to something like "grumpy dogs"* as the name at the address (*MODERATOR this is not what it really was, it was something like this I used this to give an idea what it was like).

I know my local PO has been making folks use their actual names over the last few years.

This one was delivered ok, their postmaster must be more relaxed name wise....
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

msmaggie60, I didn't get a real name on either, so I have sent it with the email address as the name.

I did wonder if I tried to send an email with that address it would work, and it did.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

When I began here with this id I used my full email address and it was in effect til 2003 then it was shortened to and displayed as to what it is now

up until recently  people could find my full email addy by looking at my user ID history 

it was displayed as

From 03 to present it showed my ID and blanked out @****************************** (the rest of my email)

the next line from 00 to 03  it blanked out  my ID  but showed  @*************************  (the last part of my email) 

if one put the 2 together they had my full email address and could contact me that way 

not sure when ebay figured out it could be done that way  but it was visible  for approx 15 years plus before it was changed

now it is blanked out so one can't find my full email addy anymore

when full email addys could be used I sent a number of items out that way and never had a problem

now from time to time I get some interesting titles instead of the name and have had no problem having them delivered

Message 13 of 13
latest reply