CP tracking updates, certainly seems to be a problem for US Expedited and Expresspost

I've broken one of my golden rules and I've been watching some Expresspost large boxes to the USA I sent out February 1. 

CP only shows the acceptance (Feb 1) and the Mississauga update (Feb 5), nothing after that.

So today I broke my golden rule further and checked all packages that have gone out from the beginning of January:

These are the updates showing on CP, generally they are the same on eBay but some eBay ones are not up to date or are wrong ie the item was delivered. 

My concern is really whether the package gets there, so these are all CP updates (USPS etc shows the same for the ones I checked)

All Canadian expediteds getting updates normally and arriving normally.

All International tracked packets updates normally and arriving normally.

All International Expresspost packages updates normally and arriving normally.

All USA tracked packets packages updates normally and arriving normally.

ZERO USA expedited packages updating (2) since late January

ZERO USA Expresspost packages updating (3) since Feb 1

For the USA EXP/XPST, USPS is even worse it only shows the acceptance, not the 2nd update at either

Missisauga or Stoney Creek.

This is soon going to start causing me problems, if infact they aren't moving, I'll share any updates as I have them, anyone else seeing the same thing?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

CP tracking updates, certainly seems to be a problem for US Expedited and Expresspost

I have found a problem with tracked mail also, in fact a sale yesterday the buyer was concerned about the time I said it would take, I decided to send it small package instead. I don't know if this is true, but packages taking a while to leave the Mississauga depot may be because with a reduced staff, it is taking long to upload the tracking.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I haven't been sending a lot lately but my tracked packets and Expedited USAs have been moving well and updating frequently. I'm in SK and I think my packages generally avoid the Mississauga facilty.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Finally some progress, several updated this morning that they have been forwarded to the US from Montreal QC. Interestingly this is for items that were backlogged in both Mississauga and Stoney Creek, both showed up with Montreal updates this morning...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

CP only shows the acceptance (Feb 1) and the Mississauga update (Feb 5), nothing after that.

I've noticed this as well ... but only this month.  When mail was most likely to be delayed, i.e December, my Expedited parcels to the U.S.  took no longer than 5 business days.  I had given fair warning to the buyers that shipping would take longer than normal and to please be patient but, lo and  behold, they arrived so quickly.

I didn't send any Expedited to the U.S. in January but I did send three earlier this month ... Feb. 3rd to be exact ... and they still have not arrived.  What's even more frustrating is the lack of tracking information.  As @ricarmic said, there is very little update after they reach Mississauga.  In my e-mail to buyers, I've always included a link to their tracking number on Canada Post, since I trust that link more than the link on eBay, if the buyer can even locate it, and then have suggested that once they see that the package has crossed the border, to track it on the USPS site because their information is quite detailed.  However, that's not the case, at least this month.  There's very little information for the buyer to see.  I've attempted to be proactive and have contacted the buyers to let them know I am aware of the delay and that I haven't forgotten about them.  Thank goodness, they've been patient, but I don't know for how much longer.  It's been 3 weeks since all of these were shipped ... not Expresspost, but Expedited.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Over the last few years CP haven't been scanning packages at their main facility in Montreal at an increasing rate. Even before the pandemic about 30% of the packages weren't being scanned. Now it's up to 50%. I sent a package to Vancouver recently and they only scanned it at my local post office, then in Vancouver upon arrival there. I'm surprised that you don't have issues with them at their Mississauga facility. Montreal also has an automated system with conveyer belts and scanners. Which is why I don't understand how this is happening on a regular basis.

That being said, switch all of your shipments to large urban areas over to Netparcel because their UPS rates are equal or better than CP. I've been using them since last summer and UPS ALWAYS scans their packages without fail. Everything that I send to large urban areas in Canada or to the USA go by UPS now. I've completely dumped CP and thereby USPS at the same time.

The heavier and/or bulkier items are also better priced with UPS Air vs. CP. Also much faster. I sent a package from Montreal to Copenhagen, DK in Jan. and it arrived there in 4 business days. It cost $33.50 tax and fuel surcharge included. In July I sent a package to Melbourne, AUS for $40 tax and fuel surcharge included. Transit time 10 business days.

Montreal to Copenhagen:

https://www.ups.com/track?loc=en_ca&tracknum=1Z94Y00A6798658568&requester=WT/trackdetails

The one to Australia isn't available to view anymore.

You have to link Netparcel to your PP account in order to get the maximum discount though. I've already asked them about this. If you register for a regular Netparcel account you'll pay about 10% to 15% more, but probably still cheaper than CP much of the time.

https://pp.netparcel.com/home.action

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the link.  Completed in less than a minute!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I thought I would get a quote from NetParcel today, but I saw that it was in Imperial measure.  It was easy enough to enter inches and ounces, but I didn't bother.  I would have thought that a large company like that would offer a metric option, and maybe they do ... I just didn't have time to look for it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply