CPO Claims I Don't Live at My Address

I bought an item and the tracking shows that they tried to deliver to me but: "Recipient not located at address provided. Item being returned to sender."

The seller responded to me once and the address she used appears to be mine and correct.  After that initial response she disappeared.

The item was routed back to the seller on June 19th and the last estimated date of delivery is July 4th.

Can anyone here tell me how eBay deals with a situation like this and what, if anything, I should do about it?  It's a first for me.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Be honnest... well the goods were return to seller, you can fill a item not received. BUT none of fault from the seller. The responsability to delivery it's seller, and costumer provides insufficient info and a aptent was done, seller not guilty.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Sorry to hear about your unusual situation...

I would contact Canada Post immediately and give them the Tracking Number.

Unfortunately, the weight of the situation lies on your shoulders. The Seller shipped the item with a Tracking Number to your correct address.

A few years ago I shipped an item to the USA with a Tracking Number. Canada Post tracking showed it was delivered two days later. It showed up in my mail box! 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I called the PO and they said that since the item is back in the US there is nothing they can do about it.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Yes, but what did Canada Post say about,  "Recipient not located at address provided".

I would file a claim with Canada Post. 

You need to be compensated for their screw up....  

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

After reading these responses I got worried so I just called eBay.

eBay assured me that I would either get a full refund or the item (my choice) and wouldn't have to repay shipping.

What bothers me is that the seller is ignoring me.  eBay is contacting the seller and to tell her to get on top of it ASAP.   That's what I'd be dong for a customer and I get annoyed when I'm ignored.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

This happened, once with an Ottawa Address.....Payment refunded....The address was correct, but buyer was frustrated with the reality

Twice with a US address..... once buyer gave me a new address  and paid new postage..... and the second time I made a refund  and moved to a new reality.

The second time was interesting  because   this buyer bought two items... The second item was bought before the first item was delivered..... the first purchase never got delivered, while the second one was delivered.... Same address....... 

Why does this happen?  Your guess is as good as mine.....

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

The mistake was either the seller's or CPO's.

What is clear is that I'm not at fault.

Unless eBay has a way of seeing the actual label they have no way of determining that the seller is not at fault.  Unless they can do that the seller has to be held responsible.

If the PO is responsible then the seller should file a claim with the PO.

Either way, since I've used this same address for the past decade there is no way I should be held responsible and that's pretty much what the CSR told me as well.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Check tracking... and if seller has the item and is not responding

Seller must deal with this.... and if they do not....  

then..... It looks like it is time to file Item not received.

The best thing to do is accept a full refund.... ... postage included ........

and say good-bye

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

There have been  the odd time  that I was determining what the cost of postage should have been on Canada Post's website

and...  my postal code  was designated as an error.....or the buyer's postal code was an error.

Sometimes there is a glitch  in Canada Post's  systemmmmmmmm

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Or even USPS.....Nothing is absolutely perfect.....

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

What bothers me is that the seller is ignoring me.

That's bad, the Seller should be working with you to resolve the situation fairly....

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

What bothers me is that the seller is ignoring me.

That's bad, the Seller should be working with you to resolve the situation fairly....

Totally.

A seller has to be held responsible otherwise they could just plug in any address and claim nondelivery.  That is, just because the seller says she sent to my address does not mean that she did.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Was getting worried after reading the initial responses, but eBay has already opened a case on my behalf because I wasn't able to open one until July 4th.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

A seller has to be held responsible otherwise they could just plug in any address and claim nondelivery.  That is, just because the seller says she sent to my address does not mean that she did.

Yes, but the tracking should show that the item was shipped to your address or general location (city and postal code). 

There is no scamming on the sellers part when there is a valid tracking number.  

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

I recently had a similar thing happen but going the other way. A package was returned to me with the message that the recipient didn't live at that address. When I contacted her, she had lived there over 20 years and never had a problem. Neither of us were happy to resend it and have it happen again. We agreed that I would refund for the item, she said she would not ask for the postage, and we left it there.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

Yes, but the tracking should show that the item was shipped to your address or general location (city and postal code). 

There is no scamming on the sellers part when there is a valid tracking number.  

No.  The tracking shows that it was delivered to my town.   The seller claims that she used the correct address but I don't know that's true.

I get packages on a very regular basis.  I suspect that the PO here recognizes my address by now and I have to wonder if something was very wrong for them to return it to the sender.

For example:  Yesterday I received a package that was addressed in magic marker on a plastic padded envelope and it had smeared badly.  The person delivering the package pointed out that it could have been a real problem.  (Quite a coincidence.)

I'm not suggesting that there was scamming on the seller's part at all.  However, for seller's who want to scam buyers there would be an opening if sellers weren't held responsible for actual delivery in the same way they are held responsible for breakage.

Also, the seller can file a claim with the USPS and should be able to get the cost of shipping refunded if the PO is at fault but that's not something a buyer can do.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

No. The tracking shows that it was delivered to my town.   The seller claims that she used the correct address but I don't know that's true.

Chances are the package was addressed properly but ask the seller to send you an attachment of the  shipping label or copy of the customs form (that's if the seller decides to cooperate).

Also, the seller can file a claim with the USPS and should be able to get the cost of shipping refunded if the PO is at fault but that's not something a buyer can do.

It's actually Canada Post's fault, once the package crosses over the border into Canada, USPS is off the hook.

It's actually a **bleep** for tat situation between the USPS/Canada Post. Both sides are going to argue about who is at fault.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

It's actually Canada Post's fault, once the package crosses over the border into Canada, USPS is off the hook.

The PO that the seller deals with is always his or her own. 

I don't know how various POs work is out with other countries, but I always thought the the home PO took responsibility for their own claims instead of tackling the often impossible task of who is to blame.

I realize it's clear that if  a PO was to blame in this case that it's our own, but that's not always the case.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

" I suspect that the PO here recognizes my address by now"

???

I am a bit puzzled by that statement.  I live at 123 Main Street, MyTown, ON  K0K 0K0 

Is your address not very specific to your house, apartment or housing unit?

Message 20 of 20
latest reply