Can't use electronic Customs Form-SERVICE UNAVAILABLE ZERO SIZE OBJECT

For the past 2 days I have not been able to use the online electronic customs form on Canada Post's website.  I get through to the finish, a barcode is generated but when I try to have it emailed to me I get the error:

SERVICE UNAVAILABLE ZERO SIZE OBJECT

During some of my attempts I got that error message well before getting to the barcode step.

I have cleared browser cache twice, completely and nothing changes.  I have tried other browsers and no difference.  Microsoft Edge works the best but still doesn't work.

I have several packages that have to go out but have been delayed because I cannot generate the barcodes properly (I have my doubts that the barcodes I do generate are of use, I suspect they will not show up at the post office).

What do I do?   I have been told repeatedly I cannot use paper customs forms anymore, if I do the package will be returned to me.

I'm panicing.....help.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Can't use electronic Customs Form-SERVICE UNAVAILABLE ZERO SIZE OBJECT

I have also been getting this intermittently for a few days now, at various places same as you.

The two things I do are:

-try again, so far it has always worked on the 2nd try

-each time, if I have more to do, instead of clicking on "create another barcode", I bring up the main screen again (from my bookmark) and start from scratch (this seems to have limited how frequently it is happening)

Hopefully this helps 

(PS I'm using google chrome)

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I often get the barcodes generated.  Problem is I don't know if the barcode is of any use because of all the problems I have along the way getting it generated.  Since I haven't been able to take a barcode to the Post Office I don't know if they work.......but after reading your comment that suggests that the barcodes that do get generated are ok and are usable.

I don't print my barcodes, I email them to myself and then take my phone to the post office.  So the main problem I have is that I cannot get barcodes emailed to me.  Not once has it worked.  I either get the error message or it takes me back to an earlier step and tells me to try again.

I don't have a printer so I have no option of printing out the barcode.

Today i'm going to try a new trick.  Once the barcode is generated, I right click on it and save image.  Then I email that image to myself...so now it's in my email and I can take my phone to the post office and access the barcode in my email.  Not sure this will work because there could be quality degradation  during save image and emailing but i'm out of ideas and getting a bit desperate.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

As far as I know once you see a barcode you are great, you just have to get it in front of their scanner somehow.

There is supposed to be option to send it to your phone directly, have you tried that?
(I have not because when I did a LOOONNNGGG time ago the PO couldn't read it so I've just printed always since)
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

i''m happy to report that my workaround of right clicking on the barcode and saving image and then emailing that image to myself, worked.  Smoothly.  Just as good as having the barcode directly emailed to me by Canada Post.

So i can function at least, whew.  I was talking to CP technical support and they said tonight they are going to be fixing many known issues with the site......so hopefully the electric customs form problems get fixed too.

thanks for your responses.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I have also been having an issue with this since last week. I can generate a bar code (somtimes it takes a few tries) but then I cannot email it. Every time I try, it takes me back a step and tells me to review my input and try again. I have used this feature for the past year with little problem, but now have gone old school and had to print the bar code again. Very frustrating.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

It's worked on and off for me but not today.

My local Canada Post is allowing me to use the old printed labels and paperwork customs forms when CP's electronic page is down.

I've found when it's down for me, it's been down for them too.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

the problems on Canada Post's site have been ongoing since they did a maintenance on their system weekend before last.  Something got screwed up and they are still having ongoing issues.  The bigger problem is with snap-ship and CP technical support has been flooded with calls for the last week and a half.  There are some other issues too I believe.

I've talked to CP technical support at length about this problem and every time I do it's like this is the first time they've heard of it.  Whether they are playing dumb or it's not a widespread issue I don't know.  Regardless the issue is ongoing for me as well and seems to be effecting chromium based browsers (google chrome, edge, opera etc).  Internet Explorer has never worked.  Not sure if Firefox works or not as I don't have it.

My workaround is to generate a barcode (eventually) and then right click on it, save image, as a png and then send myself an email with the image of the barcode as an attachment.  That way I can get the barcode (actually it's a QR code) scanned from my phone at the PO.  As I don't have a printer it's my only option.

I urge everyone who is having this issue to call CP TECHNICAL SUPPORT 1-877-376-1212.  If there isn't enough noise made I have the feeling this will never be fixed.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Today it is very bad, happening very frequently, takes 2 or 3 tries to get one completed.....ugghhh

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

This is still happening, I learned a trick today, when I filled it in and got this message, I refreshed the screen (the little roundabout arrow) and it worked!! 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You can also fill out the form on CP's upgraded terminals right at the Postoffice. No written form required. Still not as convenient as doing it at home.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Please be aware that CANADAPOST is experiencing issues at the moment. We apologise for any inconvenience and if affected, ask that you try again later. Veuillez prendre note que CANADAPOST rencontre actuellement des problèmes avec ses systèmes. Nous vous prions de nous excuser de ce désagrément et nous vous invitions à réessayer plus tard.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply