Can you do a test for me?

Take a look at your listings.  Go to your feedback and at the right click on view listings for sale.  Then on the left click sold listings.  How many do you see?  Then go to refresh at the top of the page and hit it.  I click it once and I see 91, I refresh the page a couple of times and then see 64.  Am I going crazy?

Mj, I see 36, hit refresh the page a couple of times and see 41 hit refresh again and back to 36.

Katlover, I see 34 hit the refresh page a couple of times and see only 23 hit refresh again and back to 34.

Dustmite, I see 21 hit the refresh page a number of times and I see 34 hit refresh again and back to 21.

Rose-Dee, I see 14 hit the refresh page a number of times and I see 18, hit refresh again and back to 14

Pj, I see 7 hit the refresh page a couple of time and then I see 6, hit refresh again and back to 7.

Iz, I see 28 then I see 53 and then back to 28.

You get my drift, every seller there is a difference, why.  I did ask this at the Wed talk but he couldn't check it for me.  Maybe it is only me and I see different amounts sold for everyone. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I don't have any listings myself, but I tried it with your account and got the same results: 91, then 64, then 91, then 64...
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Thanks Chris, At least I know I am not going crazy, but why would it do that?  That is a difference of almost 30 sold listings.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Take a look at your listings.  Go to your feedback and at the right click on view listings for sale.  Then on the left click sold listings.  How many do you see?  Then go to refresh at the top of the page and hit it.  I click it once and I see 91, I refresh the page a couple of times and then see 64.  Am I going crazy?

Zee computers are out of sync... and are checking different data with a resulting different total.

I checked yours and got 91/64/91/91/64

I checked mine and the results were steady, but I compared to what My eBay actually has I have a difference of one. Then I looked at what sold listings were being shown.

My eBay has the last 60 days of sold listings.

The sold listings being pulled for the items for sale link displayed back to July 14 then skipped and covered JUNE 15 to MAY 20 ...

Two different data sets, two different numbers.

Check the dates on your sold items that are displayed, your 64 get spotty around July 1 and the 91 go to May 20.

Maybe the backroom geeks are thinking of displaying the last 90 days of sold items instead of the current 60 day maximum.

-..-

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

What one sees at the many locations on eBay may be based on the number of days covered in your sales record  under My eBay....

One also has to look at the dates covered....    

-----------------------

The count could be sales  versus transactions.

It could be one transaction per buyer.....  But some buyers  might buy more than one item.

You could have 65 transactions,  but more than 65 sales with more than  one item sold for several transactions

----------------------

What you see at various locations on eBay could also be dependent on whether you have Selling Manager or  Selling Manager Pro on your My eBay page.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

izzame
Community Member
For me the # have been a mess/wrong since Nov 2016. I rely on my own data base as I know that it is correct. Eg. one month on the left side were it has "Sold" all month it had 1, the last day of the month it had 3, the real # was 70, a bit of a difference. When I list and put into draft first, the date for created is not the current day and time but the next day + 6 hours which is going on currently. Eg. if I list something right now, the "created" date and time will be tomorrow's date and the time will be 06:30. With all the numbers being wrong for so long, like I said I no longer pay attention to it and rely 100% on my own info. This site is so broken I am at a loss for words .... well I have words but can't really express them in public
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Even the count of 91 over 60 days is incorrect.  It should be over 120 and if we were counting from May 18 it should be 173.  Totally unreliable.  But the fact that I can refresh the page and it goes down to 64 which is about a month worth of sales.  The refresh shouldn't have a different number.

I wonder what else is totally wrong?  I think I should be looking more closely at everything. 

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Mistake it should be 174, not 173.  Now  mind you that is for 90 days counting from May 18.  But ebay showing the figures and changing it with each refresh is wrong.

174.jpg

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

I see 42 and 35 on my own Solds this morning. 

I wonder if ebay is experimenting with a 90-day versus 60-day Purchase History and/or Sales History. Many buyers have called for their Purchase Histories to last longer than 60 days, maybe this is ebay's way of gauging how much resources would go into maintaining the load of 90-day histories for everyone. Wild guess. 

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Oh, I see that ypdc_dennis already beat me to that theory. 

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Honestly, I would not miss seeing all that Sold data eliminated. Buyers gain anonymity in their Feedback on purchases, I don't think it's necessary that every Tom, Dick and Harry can see a seller's actual successful sales.

What I've sold and what I haven't is no one's business but my own. No other online retailer exposes all that data on its sellers that I am aware of, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. It's like free market research for people who have no business looking at it. Competitors, lookie-lou's hoping to score a steal on a Best Offer et cetera, I don't mean you sorts. But it's proprietary information so far as I am concerned and I  don't like seeing my underwear on the clothesline waving in the wind for everyone to see.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

eBay has always (or at least for a long time) shown 90 days of sold items on the search sold page. They also show 90 days of your sold items if you use selling manager but just 60 days if you just use my eBay without SM.

But right  now SM is showing me 3 Months (ish) and the search sold page shows 3 months less one week.

SM shows from May 16 

Search sold shows from May 24

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I can't explain the variation when I refresh but I think that I've figured out why selling manager shows 38 items sold and search shows 6 or 7.  Some of the ones that are not counted in search are  items that I've sold multiples of--for example I've sold about 18 of one item and it is counting as just 1 sold.  It has been doing that for a while. 

The other ones that are not counted on the search page are ones that I have sold out of.  For example last week I sold 2 black diamond supply pins but they do not show on the sold search page.  They were my last 2 pins that I had in black so of course there is no current listing for them.  However I still do have the pin in other colours so they have active listings and the ones that sold do show up on the search page.

But I don't think that you have a lot of multiples so that doesn't explain the difference in the number for your actual sold vs the number showing on the search sold page.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Honestly, I would not miss seeing all that Sold data eliminated. Buyers gain anonymity in their Feedback on purchases, I don't think it's necessary that every Tom, Dick and Harry can see a seller's actual successful sales.

What I've sold and what I haven't is no one's business but my own. No other online retailer exposes all that data on its sellers that I am aware of, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. It's like free market research for people who have no business looking at it. Competitors, lookie-lou's hoping to score a steal on a Best Offer et cetera, I don't mean you sorts. But it's proprietary information so far as I am concerned and I  don't like seeing my underwear on the clothesline waving in the wind for everyone to see.

I understand your point however I would absolutely miss that feature.  When I am thinking of purchasing something for resale I usually will look at the same or similar sold items on eBay to see how often they are selling and how much they are being sold for.  Looking at the current listings for sale helps but it doesn't tell me if the item is popular and how much people are willing to pay.  

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

I strongly suspect the days of all that Sold information being available to everyone for free is numbered anyway. 

Doesn't the ebay.com Seller Hub offer 'guidance' for listing new items and their optimum price? 

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

I have no idea as I don't use sellers hub but would you take eBay's advice on pricing? I know that their trending prices often don't make sense.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Woud I take ebay's advice on pricing? I would take it under advisement. I don't look at Sold items ever when setting a price for my own items. I look at present availability, and then I decide what to charge not based on that but based on what *I* need to clear to make the product worth selling. 

I value my private sales data one thousand times more than I value the Sold history of other sellers' products. So much so that I'd be happy to lead a lobby to see it retired but, like I said, I don't think that lobby will be necessary in the not-too-distant future. It's daft that Sold history even exists as humongous an invasion of privacy that it is. Not to mention that data is a goldmine that ebay could charge Diamond sellers and other manufacturers to access. 

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

For me I always look at sold.  In the CD category you will have 1 seller asking $1.00 for an item and for the same item another seller is asking $54.99.  In the sold you see they sold most around the $5 range.  I rely on the SOLD information so much, I would be very upset if they took that away.  

As for CD's you can't rely on the advice you get from ebay.  One issue of the CD is worth over a $100 because it was an early issue and the reissue is worth $2.00.  I've had buyers who only buy specific issues of the CD's or they buy every issue of that CD.  

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

That may be but I consider the list of items I sold displayed under my personal ID to be a tremendous publicly-available invasion of privacy. If ebay wants to maintain that sales data as free market research for competitors, it should be left anonymous and not seller-specific, the same as buyers don't have their purchases paraded on their Feedback pages anymore. 

Huge.

Invasion.

Of Privacy.

Not to mention proprietary sales information. 

Let the Sold listings stand, fine. But Sold on a page listing everything under my ID is no one's business but my own.

An even better idea would be to charge a fee for that sales data research, maybe enough to allow our TRS discount to be raised again to 20 per cent from 10. 

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Hi Mj, do you also consider the list of items that you are selling under your personal ID to be a tremendous publicly-available invasion of privacy?    

If you feel that way you should use another ID to post on the boards.  

I don't see a difference in privacy for what you are selling to what you have sold.  

@mjwl2006 wrote:

That may be but I consider the list of items I sold displayed under my personal ID to be a tremendous publicly-available invasion of privacy. If ebay wants to maintain that sales data as free market research for competitors, it should be left anonymous and not seller-specific, the same as buyers don't have their purchases paraded on their Feedback pages anymore. 

Huge.

Invasion.

Of Privacy.

Not to mention proprietary sales information. 

Let the Sold listings stand, fine. But Sold on a page listing everything under my ID is no one's business but my own.

An even better idea would be to charge a fee for that sales data research, maybe enough to allow our TRS discount to be raised again to 20 per cent from 10. 

Message 20 of 32
latest reply