Canada Post Expedited Lite

I have never used this as I had thought it was only for collectibles like cards, etc. But when I look at the criteria I am wondering if I could ship some of my items this way (jewelry mostly) as many times they weigh less than 200 grams and the dimensions could work too. Is anyone out there using it for things other than collectibles? And is it really a lot cheaper? Thanks.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Canada Post Expedited Lite

Thanks everyone for all your comments. Shipped my first parcel using it yesterday. I can see it being useful for my jewelry as a lot if it would be less than 200 grams. Now to change my listings!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I am not in collectibles, and it's really a lot cheaper - already used many times. 😁

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

As yet have not found any use for Expedited Lite option, not on eBay, not on the other 2 sites where I sell...however, perhaps at some point in my next life time...

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I used Expedited Lite to send some vintage jewelry last week from Vancouver to Ontario. It was a lot cheaper & included tracking. I bought the label through eBay.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I use it fairly frequently. It seems that eBay allows plenty of room for mental gymnastics over what people think is collectible. I'm hoping they'll extend it in the future to a tier between 0 and 250g and one between 250 and 500g. That would REALLY make a difference. 

Yes, it is significantly cheaper for most domestic destinations. That not only affects what you can charge for an item, but it also reduces the fees you pay on shipping a little.

You need to be careful because 200g really is very light, and box size or padded envelope size can come into play with dimensional limits.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Thanks. A lot of my items are around 100 grams as I often get the first tier rate on small or tracked packet. Will definitely try it out for some of my items. Anything to reduce shipping costs would be helpful.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I have used ebay's Expedited Lite a couple of times for stuff not in a "collectible" category.  No problems.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

If I recall correctly, this was asked when the service was first introduced. It was clarified that collectibles is just a marketing thing (as in, it's good for collectibles). You can use it for anything that fits the weight criteria and doesn't violate Canada Post's restrictions for parcel shipping. 

Whether or not that was eBay's original intention, I don't think eBay's shipping tool restricts it to certain categories. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Thanks everyone for all your comments. Shipped my first parcel using it yesterday. I can see it being useful for my jewelry as a lot if it would be less than 200 grams. Now to change my listings!

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

If I recall correctly, this was asked when the service was first introduced. It was clarified that collectibles is just a marketing thing (as in, it's good for collectibles). You can use it for anything that fits the weight criteria and doesn't violate Canada Post's restrictions for parcel shipping. 

Whether or not that was eBay's original intention, I don't think eBay's shipping tool restricts it to certain categories. 

@ilikehockeyjerseys 

Interesting on how long it took to make it official (annoucement today) that Expedited lite works in all categories. Quick testing when it first rolled out confirmed that it was.   As for the disclaimers:

These are base rates. Fuel surcharges and taxes may apply.

Previously available only for items in select categories, Expedited Lite is now available for any items that meet the weight and dimensional criteria.

Unsure what is meant by "may" apply. Those charges will apply until something drastic happens to cause them to be removed. Can't see that happening. Flat rate (unless you have the wiggle room) is dangerous because of the discrepancies based on final destination which also would a buyer from  the Great White North buying where it jumps substantially. Regarding the dimensional criteria, most postage estimaters/shipping invoices will clearly state if actual or dimensional was charged. Basic business practice. The eBay label displays either actual weight or dimensional but not both or which was used after the label was printed. It would be nice to have this info prior to printing. International services, from quickly reviewing recent shipments omit the lxwxh when the label prints. If it actually printed shippers would be able to confirm the correct measurements were entered and if they weren't would have a valid proof to void if required.

Lastly will be interesting to see how long it takes before this service will be offered to the general public. 

-Lotz

As per the announcement it is showing the base rate Toronto to Yellowknife as 5.99.  Tested a current listing and the actual rate is 10.15 using Expedited lite Calgary to Yellowknife. Fairly large discrepancy for a shorter distance. (To the bad.)

When the service was first released weren't there some sellers who were charged quite a bit more for northern points? 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

As per the announcement it is showing the base rate Toronto to Yellowknife as 5.99.  Tested a current listing and the actual rate is 10.15 using Expedited lite Calgary to Yellowknife. Fairly large discrepancy for a shorter distance. (To the bad.)

Yikes! That is a big discrepancy. I want to set flat rate shipping for small items, but it seems like there can be a wide gap of actual shipping cost from cheapest to most expensive.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Yikes! That is a big discrepancy. I want to set flat rate shipping for small items, but it seems like there can be a wide gap of actual shipping cost from cheapest to most expensive.

@toronto_tuttle 

For anyone that wants to use flat rate you can only test (based on the 200 gram maximum) and using a same province and max distance zip codes. Then average. Hopefully you win more than you lose. And forbid the thought of your parcel being over 200 grams and getting bumped up to Expedited. Just seems to risky in my books. 

-Lotz

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Unless you sell items with extremely tight margins, I would just average it out and charge a fair flat rate. Most eBay sellers should have some wiggle room in their margins for things like 'Best Offers' or variances in shipping costs.

Obviously, there will be exceptions to every rule.

As far as an item exceeding 200g, you can always weight things before listing them and use different pre-made shipping policies to account for that. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I have been using Expedited Lite ever since it was available on Ebay.

My items are all small and ships in a bubble mailer with the weight usually between 50 to 200 grams.

The shipping cost has always been between $8 to $10.

Today, I went to purchase an Expedited Lite mailing label and the price is $26!!!!

I entered the dimensions and weight correctly.

I then tried other orders that I received and the shipping cost is around $26 for all of them by Expedited Lite!!!! I only charged the customers $10 for Expedited Lite shipping because it has always cost me $8to $10.

Ebay has SIGNIFICANTLY increased the price for Expedited Lite!!!!

Now I have to purchase several Expedited Lite labels at around $26 each when I only charged the customer $10 for shipping!

I have increased my Expedited shipping for all of my listings to $26 as that is what it seems the cost for Expedited Lite is now.

I hope this is just a temporary glitch and the price for Expedited Lite comes down to what it was. I was really enjoying the cheap Expedited Lite shipping as shipping small light weight packages was much cheaper with Expedited Lite.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@quality-cellular wrote:

I have been using Expedited Lite ever since it was available on Ebay.

My items are all small and ships in a bubble mailer with the weight usually between 50 to 200 grams.

The shipping cost has always been between $8 to $10.

Today, I went to purchase an Expedited Lite mailing label and the price is $26!!!!

I entered the dimensions and weight correctly.

I then tried other orders that I received and the shipping cost is around $26 for all of them by Expedited Lite!!!! I only charged the customers $10 for Expedited Lite shipping because it has always cost me $8to $10.

Ebay has SIGNIFICANTLY increased the price for Expedited Lite!!!!

Now I have to purchase several Expedited Lite labels at around $26 each when I only charged the customer $10 for shipping!

I have increased my Expedited shipping for all of my listings to $26 as that is what it seems the cost for Expedited Lite is now.

I hope this is just a temporary glitch and the price for Expedited Lite comes down to what it was. I was really enjoying the cheap Expedited Lite shipping as shipping small light weight packages was much cheaper with Expedited Lite.

@quality-cellular 

Were your parcels either to extreme remote points or had large measurements? There have been reports since Exp.Lite. was implemented where sellers were getting strange cubing error message. I just checked the eBay calculator with discounted rates for a local and a parcel to Ontario and rates were correct. There is a special promo on right now for sellers using Expedited lite to get 3.00 off 3 shipments. Runs until the 4th. Calculator below. For Exp.Lite the discounted rate shows up for both regular and the discounted option. 

https://www.ebay.ca/shp/Calculator

-Lotz

PS. You should have seen the applicable charges prior to generating/printing. If you see a crazy rate it would be best to double check your work.  The default is metric so that shouldn't be what is causing a problem. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

"Were your parcels either to extreme remote points or had large measurements? "

Yes, that is the reason why.

I went to purchase Expedited Lite labels for 2 packages and both were around $26

One was to Fort Good Hope, NT and the other was also to the Northwest Territories.

I checked the Expedited Lite prices with some of my other orders and the price is a little over $8.

Everything is good. Thought the cost for Exedited Lite went WAY up. Never thought about the location it was going to. 🙂

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@quality-cellular wrote:

"Were your parcels either to extreme remote points or had large measurements? "

Yes, that is the reason why.

I went to purchase Expedited Lite labels for 2 packages and both were around $26

One was to Fort Good Hope, NT and the other was also to the Northwest Territories.

I checked the Expedited Lite prices with some of my other orders and the price is a little over $8.

Everything is good. Thought the cost for Exedited Lite went WAY up. Never thought about the location it was going to. 🙂

@quality-cellular 

Thanks for the follow up. It's something I have noticed too in the past for remote locations. Always a good idea to check the rate you see prior to printing is the best rate. There can and will be situations where regular Expedited will be lower than Expedited Lite. Another solution (when stuff fits) are the CP prepaid flat rate boxes depending on the size required can be lower than those discounted rates. With the prepaid boxes the only additional charges will be GST/PST/HST. No fuel surcharge and that can be enough to make a difference and put a few cents back into your pocket.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 17
latest reply