Canada Post Fuel Surcharge Increase for December

Effective Nov 29, 2022 the fuel surcharge will be 39.5 % for domestic shipments and 23 % for Intl shipments.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9303748/shipping-canada-post-inflation/

Original announcement below from September.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/rates-dimensions/fuel-surcharges-on...

Just in time for Christmas mailings. Not really Ho Ho Ho kind of news!!!

-Lotz

https://www.thestar.com/business/2022/11/24/sending-a-package-through-canada-post-is-going-to-cost-e...

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Canada Post Fuel Surcharge Increase for December

It would sure be great if the price of diesel was the same as the price of normal gas right now...  er let me reword that. It would be great if the price of diesel CAME DOWN to the price of normal gas right now.

Given that (I think) diesel is cheaper to refine than gas, something needs to really be looked into.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

We noticed today that gas here in Victoria BC  has dropped to "only" $1.749 per litre today.

That's down 20c a litre in the past month.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Here in Vancouver it was 168.9 the past few days but went back up to 177.9 today 😿

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Halifax, regular $1.58.2, diesel $2.44.2

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Calgary: 1.22 to .135 Regular/ 1.78 to 1.83 Diesel

Edmonton: 1.27 to 1.30 Regular/1.70 to 1.77 Diesel

Medicine Hat: 1.32 to 1.40 Regular/ 1.77 to 2.00 Diesel

Banff: 1:62 to 1.73 Regular/ 1.90 to 2.04 Diesel

Fort MacMurray: 1.51 to 1.60 Regular/ 1.85 to 1.93 Diesel

Red Deer: 1.40 to 1.44 Regular/1.87 to 2.00 Diesel

Curious to know if some locals get a fuel surcharge added to the delivery of fuel? Things to make 1 say hmmm!!!  All I know is when I pumped gas as a teen and there was a gas war, the price went down. In Alberta when there is a price war, the price routinely only goes up!!

-Lotz

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

I can remember when I was a "kid" London sometimes had gas wars which were awesome for us because we had no problems getting our parents let us have the car to go see a movie as long as we filled the gas tank up! (it was 19c or sometimes much less a litre during the best wars as I recall).

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I can remember when I was a "kid" London sometimes had gas wars which were awesome for us because we had no problems getting our parents let us have the car to go see a movie as long as we filled the gas tank up! (it was 19c or sometimes much less a litre during the best wars as I recall).

When I was working at the gas station...Olden days.... when staff pumped your gas for you, cleaned your windows, checked oil etc. we could see several gas stations from where we were. One lowered...they all lowered. Was a city of 40,000. If you checked across town they were all doing the same thing. Calgary/Alberta for forever....You can have 2 different Shell/Esso etc down the street with different prices. Outskirts of small towns higher than inner city/town. And the closer to the mountains the more it is. When I moved to AB in 90ies...10 cent difference(lower) between Edm and Calgary. Explanation was processing and delivery. Now it is mostly do you really want to drive across town to save 5/6/7 cents a litre?

-Lotz

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

Given that (I think) diesel is cheaper to refine than gas, something needs to really be looked into.

It might be but the issue with diesel is supply/demand, one has gone down and the other has gone WAY UP. The same applies to gasoline but the demand has been falling for the last few months.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Unfortunately Lotz, Canada Post decided to surprise me a day early. I was dinged over $2.00 extra per package.

Ouch.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@needsmorerobots wrote:

Unfortunately Lotz, Canada Post decided to surprise me a day early. I was dinged over $2.00 extra per package.

Ouch.

eBay Labels, Shippo or SnapShip?

-Lotz

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Effective Nov 29, 2022 the fuel surcharge will be 39.5 % for domestic shipments and 23 % for Intl shipments.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9303748/shipping-canada-post-inflation/

Original announcement below from September.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/rates-dimensions/fuel-surcharges-on...

Just in time for Christmas mailings. Not really Ho Ho Ho kind of news!!!

-Lotz

https://www.thestar.com/business/2022/11/24/sending-a-package-through-canada-post-is-going-to-cost-e...

Anyone else coming to the conclusion Canadian Fuel surcharges are going to become a major problem for Canadian sellers when compared to what US sellers are being charged? See attached.

https://www.stamps.com/shipping/carrier-fuel-surcharges/

https://www.uspsdelivers.com/audit-calculator/

https://goshippo.com/shipping/shipping-surcharges-explained-fuel-residential-peak/

Wonder how long before Canadians see a Peak charge for seasonal deliveries?

-Lotz

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

devon@ebay    -    URGENT!!!

Hello Devon,

Are you able to confirm how proactive eBay is with adjusting the postage calculator when it comes to Canadapost and the fluctuating  Fuel Surcharge? If this is not done in a timely manner it can cause the incorrect amount to be charged to a buyer and seller having to cover the difference. See attached. There is no way for a seller to recover any discrepancy after the fact.

We are moving to weekly updates from September 5, 2022

We are now adjusting fuel surcharges weekly —up or down—as fuel prices change. Changes are applied the first Monday of each week and are reflected on your invoice.

We publish the new surcharges a few days in advance.

See post 10 below where seller was charged 2.00 above the quoted rate. Personally I haven't witnessed that (yet) but will be monitoring closely for future shipments.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

See post 10 below where seller was charged 2.00 above the quoted rate. Personally I haven't witnessed that (yet) but will be monitoring closely for future shipments.

-Lotz

...well, it's no better with Flat Rate shipping.

On an early November sale to the U.K, my sticker shock at the counter was $7.74 in fuel surcharge on a $41.03 Int'l Tracked Packet...all out of pocket.

As perverse as this may sound, the jump to a whopping 39% fuel surcharge for December is tempting me to globally block any sales outside of Canada/U.S., at least through the end of '22.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

-Lotz

...well, it's no better with Flat Rate shipping.

On an early November sale to the U.K, my sticker shock at the counter was $7.74 in fuel surcharge on a $41.03 Int'l Tracked Packet...all out of pocket.

As perverse as this may sound, this jump to a whopping 39% fuel surcharge for December is tempting me to simply globally block sales outside of Canada/U.S. at least through the end of '22.

@doc_scribe 

Curious to know how Canadian sellers are going to deal with this conundrum going forward. For anyone that uses flat rate shipping it would be extremely labour intensive to be updating rates monthly...and/or weekly to be close to in the ballpark. Know any University non working graduates willing to work for much less than minimum wage updating listings? 😆 All I can afford!!!  Thinking of adding local pick up only!!! No Shipping!!! 

-Lotz

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

Curious to know how Canadian sellers are going to deal with this conundrum going forward. For anyone that uses flat rate shipping it would be extremely labour intensive to be updating rates monthly...and/or weekly to be close to in the ballpark. Know any University non working graduates willing to work for much less than minimum wage updating listings? 😆 All I can afford!!!  Thinking of adding local pick up only!!! No Shipping!!! 

-Lotz

If not for our regional pre-paid bubble mailers or national flat rate boxes, and U.S. buyers able to justify a higher CAD rate when converted to USD, my flexibility with shipping costs everywhere else routinely comes down to a "NO WAY can it possibly cost more that!" And then it does...

When it comes to competitive global shipping, I'm afraid that tube has already been squeezed...rolled...pinched...and swabbed...dry.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

As a "free shipping" kinda guy for stuff right up to Bankers boxes, of course 39% on top vs the olden days usual of 15%ish is a noticeable change.

I am lucky because I traditionally use a combination of "new" stamps as in very modern & collectible and "old" stamps that I get at a much discounted rate.

To soften the blow of the high FS I adjust the percentage of "new" vs "old" on the parcels to reduce the additional cost to me. It makes the stuff the collectors get less "collectible" (everybody wants the new stuff) but nobody has complained about that part so far. 

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

As a "free shipping" kinda guy for stuff right up to Bankers boxes, of course 39% on top vs the olden days usual of 15%ish is a noticeable change.

I am lucky because I traditionally use a combination of "new" stamps as in very modern & collectible and "old" stamps that I get at a much discounted rate.

To soften the blow of the high FS I adjust the percentage of "new" vs "old" on the parcels to reduce the additional cost to me. It makes the stuff the collectors get less "collectible" (everybody wants the new stuff) but nobody has complained about that part so far. 

For anyone that is able to sell consistency and in volume, eating the shipping is much more stomachable compared to sellers who sell only when there is a blue moon. I used to sell heavier type items on a monthly basis. Same went for Internationally. If the customer wanted something they would pay...of course after haggling a bit on the price. For me the shipping is what the shipping is. Only so much you can do besides packing as small as possible and offering a selection of applicable shipping services. Even giving buyers the whys on shipping costs(fuel, tax, tax on tax, packaging, CP limitations) can help assist that buyer into hittingthe  pay now button.

-Lotz

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

-Lotz

I'm thinking about looking into using Amazon's MCF service for items that should sell fairly quickly. It looks like you can have small items picked, packed, and shipped for between $5 and $8 and the price seems pretty stable. Apparently they're using unbranded boxes for it now too.  I don't think you can offer combined shipping, but that's a massive difference from $15 to $20, particularly for cheaper items. You just have to make sure it'll sell fairly quickly before you run into worrying about the long term storage fines. I'm thinking for things like more popular clothing brands, video game consoles, etc it could be a really good option.  I'm not 100% sure if it integrates correctly with ebay Canada or not though. I think it does in the USA, but we're extra special up here 🙂

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

In Victoria BC there is a nickel a litre surcharge going to public transit. So if we are going upisland we get gas in Duncan, where there is no surcharge.
In Vancouver the transit surcharge is 10c a litre.

I've been told there is only one supplier for the entirity of Vancouver Island, and that's why it is unusual to see any variation in the cost of fuel.

However there is a Co-op gas company which has lower prices for members. We don't drive enough to make it worthwhile and 40 litres last our 2007 Honda FIT a month or more.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply