Canada Post Government Study

"The House of Commons’ Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates (OGGO) would like to invite you to appear before the Committee in Winnipeg on Friday, October 21 from 8:30 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. in view of its study on Canada Post."

I get five minutes for a presentation and then they ask me questions.

Input. I need input. I really do not care what it is as I want all angles.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 222
latest reply
221 REPLIES 221

@dinomitesales wrote:
How are you collecting this data? I would be interested in learning more about how you reached the conclusion that only 10% of your customers are community mailbox owners.

I would also be interested in hearing more about how you've expanded that conclusion to a blanket statement saying "people who get their mail delivered to Community mailboxes are not online shoppers". Even if you could somehow prove that 90% of your customers are receiving door-to-door delivery, how can you disregard the fact that they simply might outnumber community mailbox owners 9:1 in the areas your customers live in?

If there is a difference in community boxes or not ordering more online it would no doubt be the community mail box holders doing more shopping online owing to the lower average age in subdivisions built over the past 30 years that all have them 

Message 141 of 222
latest reply

Here is a link to Canada Post Flex Delivery.... for parcels....

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/fd/default.page?s_kwcid=AL!4354!3!67097040055!b!!s!!%2Bcanada...

and...

as defined by Canada Post

FlexDelivery is an exclusive Canada Post service that allows you to have packages delivered to a post office of your choice. It’s convenient, secure and free. Use it when you need it! Each time you shop online, decide whether you want to have purchases shipped to a post office or to your regular home address.

This option will work well for people that have mail delivered to a Community Mailbox.....

Message 142 of 222
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Here is a link to Canada Post Flex Delivery.... for parcels....

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/fd/default.page?s_kwcid=AL!4354!3!67097040055!b!!s!!%2Bcanada...

and...

as defined by Canada Post

FlexDelivery is an exclusive Canada Post service that allows you to have packages delivered to a post office of your choice. It’s convenient, secure and free. Use it when you need it! Each time you shop online, decide whether you want to have purchases shipped to a post office or to your regular home address.

This option will work well for people that have mail delivered to a Community Mailbox.....

That option works best for people who DON`T have a community mailbox and don`t want it left in plain view outside their front door. Why would you want a package held at the post office that could be not very close and has inconvenient hours when you can retrieve it from your community mailbox 24-7 within a hundred metres or so of your front door.

Flex Delivery would be good for when you are at the cottage for two weeks and would like your order to be available locally instead of going to your regular location which might be a few hundred km`s away.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 143 of 222
latest reply

Flex Delivery is available close to where  you work, whether downtown, or elsewhere, ,  and pick up your parcels whenever.

It has many options... and there are many variables to be considered....  as appropriate

With community mailboxes  it is important to consider  the number of  places where a parcel can be left... and then how many people may be receiving parcels....

and ....then what does one do if delivery to a community mailbox is reduced to two or three times a week...... and maybe even once a week....

With Flex Delivery, notification is received in an email... and delivery ... or more specifically  a pickup ....can be done on any day of the week...

Message 144 of 222
latest reply

recped wrote:

That option works best for people who DON`T have a community mailbox and don`t want it left in plain view outside their front door. 

I don't know that is necessarily always so.  There are situations where FlexDelivery would be better than having an item left in a community box. 

For example, we had a community box where we lived in the outskirts of Victoria, BC for 17 years.  At that time I often purchased items online that were damp- or moisture-sensitive.  Rather than having the seller address the parcels to my home address (where they'd be left in the community box all day while I was at work), I'd ask the seller to address them directly to my workplace.  Flex-Delivery would have been much more convenient (it wasn't available back then). 

There is also a problem with certain items that could be totally ruined sitting in an exposed box in sweltering summer heat (or where winter temperatures dip below freezing).  Anything perishable, and many electronic items, fall into those categories.  For those things, Flex Delivery to a workplace office (or to a local P.O.) would be a real advantage. 

I have to add that, as much as I really didn't mind having to pick up mail from our community box, there were a lot of problems during those years with parcels and mail being put in the wrong box -- either ours in neighbours' boxes or vice-versa.  

And of course, if the neighbours are away, or not checking their box, that can compound the problem.  If you order an expensive moisturizer and it sits in the neighbour's box in the heat for several days until he or she returns from summer holiday, it isn't much use afterward.  FlexDelivery would be a better choice.  

Message 145 of 222
latest reply

If I have to leave my house to pickup the parcel I've ordered online, the point of having ordered it online is lost. I'd switch to courier for incoming packages, and switch to e-tailers that use couriers.
Message 146 of 222
latest reply

I made my presentation to the House of Commons’ Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates (OGGO) study on Canada Post Hearings this morning in Winnipeg. I am very grateful for having been given the opportunity to do so. 

The hearings in Winnipeg were held from 8:30 am to 11:30 am at the Victoria Inn near our airport, and this afternoon, the hearing moves to Scanterbury which is near to Brokenhead Ojibway Nation north of Winnipeg. (Home of decorated WW2 hero Sgt. Tommy Prince.)

Only two participants attended my 8:30 to 9:30 am time slot: myself and Nelson Leong, COO of Manitobah Mukluks, so we had the seven-member panel to ourselves. We each had five minutes to give our opening statement followed by the seven minutes per panel member for questions. This meant each member of the committee posed at least one question to me which was almost equal parts intimidating and flattering since I was able to speak to my selling experience with Canada Post as if I were a peer to the gentleman on my left who was in attendance representing a company with $15 million in annual sales.

It also meant that in answering the questions of committee members that I could cover more ground than I was able in my five-minutes of remarks. These questions ran the gamut from Community Mailboxes to postal banking to the moratorium on closing rural corporate locations to ideas we may have for sustainability in the future for Canada Post. 

I was very glad at that point that I had taken the time to read their 133-page report called Canada Post in the Digital Age since it allowed me to give intelligent answers. (Or so I hope.) 

Where the Community Mailboxes question was concerned, I am pleased to report that I was able to offer both my own personal beliefs in that to-door delivery needs to remain as it is while freely admitting this was not an opinion shared by the majority of my fellow ebay sellers who regarded it as a waste of CPC resources. Wherever I answered a question which had conflicting opinions between how I felt things should be versus what I am aware other ebay sellers do not, I was clear to indicate both sides as such. 

I was also asked pointe-blank about services like ChitChat and whether I had investigated such an option and I said I had not but only because none are available in Winnipeg, and that those sellers in locations within Canada with access to the service do use it wherever possible. I noted this had an internal impact on handling time for sellers and also spoke about the mechanics of ebay's Seller Handling Time commitments to avoid Late Shipment Defects.

In closing, we presenters were given an additional ten days to submit supplemental information to support our remarks, should we wish. I'll have to think what (if anything) I might want to say as follow-up. 

For anyone who is interested, the following is the important part of my presentation, skipping the introduction since you already know who I am. I had to have it submit to the committee five business days in advance so it could be translated into both official languages and I must say that the real-time interpretation between French and English at the hearing was nothing less than extremely impressive. 

House of Commons Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates

Canada Post Corporations hearing in Winnipeg, Manitoba

Friday, Oct. 21 8:30 to 9:30 am

While currently I have more than a thousand items available for sale, I consider myself a small-time seller on the Small and Medium Business spectrum, but the income is nonetheless necessary to my family’s well-being. I am mother of four, and my partner is self-employed, so every penny counts in our household. I would assume this is the case for many small sellers on ebay, regardless of their ages or other circumstances. We are supplementing our modest incomes with ebay sales.

To date, my store has shipped about 1500 orders through Canada Post Corporation. Postage paid is my largest single expense. By the end of this calendar year, I expect that amount to exceed $20,000. Approximately 90 per cent of postage for my customers is purchased through ebay’s arrangement with PayPal shipping to gain a modest discount through their volume-customer contract while the remainder is spent on domestic lettermail directly at my nearest authorized postal agent. 

As I read through the discussion paper, Canada Post in the Digital Age, I noted with interest many of the issues it detailed, and I thank you for preparing that report, and for allowing me to be here today to speak about my dependance on the healthy operation of our national postal system. Without Canada Post, I lose the ability to conduct business as an online seller. 

Believe me, over this past summer, I tried to shake my dependance on Canada Post. Unlike many of my counterparts on ebay, I made a conscious decision NOT to close my store during the long period there was uncertainty about the labor situation. I developed a contingency plan, and I put it into operation: to offer local pickup for regional sales, courier service for domestic orders, and daytrips south to utilize USPS for international sales. Considering that a roundtrip to the United States to mail a parcel is for me a 232-km journey, you must understand this was a decision that I did not make lightly. 

Even so, half of my customers are Canadians and they avoided, as did I, all shopping online through the summer. This has extended into Fall. Normally, by mid-to late October, my sales are brisk. With the holiday season approaching, my business is still floundering. Canadian small businesses need CPC and CUPW to develop a long-term arrangement that will provide consistent, reliable service to all Canadians. The disruption that labour strife causes extends beyond the strife itself. 

The other half of my customers are international: a nearly equal split between USA and overseas. Those customers, for the most part, remained blissfully unaware of our labor strife. 

Which brings me to a sore point: the cost of service by tracked packet. No one believes it costs three times as much to mail something via Tracked Packet than it does Small Packet Airmail when both generate the same barcodes and are scanned and entered into CPC’s system at the counter. If the issue is one of liability, please instead reduce or eliminate the amount of included insurance with tracked packet and leave that up to the individual seller to purchase at additional cost. Having insurance included is not value-added for most sellers since it’s not usually the tracked items that get ‘lost’ en route to their destination. We need Delivery Confirmation more than insurance. And we need it to be affordable. 

When put to other ebay users the question of what they wanted me to offer you today, there was raised a hue and cry of ‘more affordable tracking, and more trackable options’. It is difficult if not impossible for Canadian sellers to be competitive against our American counterparts. The price of postage puts us at a steep disadvantage. This goes across the board but is most glaring with the absence of a traced lettermail category between regular domestic lettermail and a full-fledged parcel. We are asking for Delivery Confirmation for an extra dollar or two on oversize lettermail that still ships in an envelope under two cm-thick. 

We can all see that parcels are the way of the future. E-commerce is the way of the future. Tracked solutions are the way of the future: buyers expect tracking, sellers expect tracking, and sales platforms require it for logistical metrics.  

I can say with all confidence that all ebay sellers with which I have discussed the issues facing Canada Pos think the same thing: Let us grow together, not apart. 

And then I threw in a Small to Tracked Packet comparison to justify my comment about how they are the same service plus or minus the word 'tracked' with a side order of USPS thrown in. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 1.25.42 PM.png

It really was a wonderful learning experience and, thanks to the overwhelming support of the members of the panel, I really feel that they are listening with interest to the things that their witnesses are telling them. Indeed, they told me and the COO of Manitobah Mukluks (with might be one of the biggest local-grown business success stories in my province) time and time again how very much they valued hearing from businesses like ours since we are such key stakeholders. 

Remember, I do have an extra ten days to submit supplemental information so if there is anything glaring that many of you feel I overlooked, please shout out. 

Thanks to you all for your support with this.

Maureen 

Message 147 of 222
latest reply

Also, if I may, there are only a few short hours left to complete their online survey. All the information being collected at present will be used to prepare a report for the next stage of this endeavour. 

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/OGGO/StudyActivity?studyActivityId=8913079

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 1.50.14 PM.png

Message 148 of 222
latest reply

Thanks mj for sharing what you wrote and for all the work that you did to prepare.Thanks also for sharing our views, even the ones that you don't agree with.  Great presentation and awesome job!

Message 149 of 222
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Remember, I do have an extra ten days to submit supplemental information so if there is anything glaring that many of you feel I overlooked, please shout out. 

Wow, Bravo!  Standing ovation!   Very professional, totally authentic, and I'll be you exceeded even their expectations.  And its nice that they offer the extra 10 days. It does look like they are listening and allowing for that "Oh, I forgot to add this last bit".   I think it will be hard to add to such an amazing presentation.  Kudos to Maureen!    🙂 

Message 150 of 222
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Thanks mj for sharing what you wrote and for all the work that you did to prepare.Thanks also for sharing our views, even the ones that you don't agree with.  Great presentation and awesome job!

No kidding.  We get all the benefit and she did all the work.   🙂    Now I can't wait to hear about Mr. E's experience.  

Message 151 of 222
latest reply

Thanks to you all for your support. I looked forward to meeting Mr. E in person at the hearings yesterday morning but we did not connect; he hasn't been around the Discussion Board lately that I can tell. I hope he is well. 

When I look through the public list of witnesses who have made presentations to the coast-to-coast hearing, I can see that eight of every ten tend to be people representing organizations with an interest in Canada Post operations: lobby groups, senior groups, advocacy groups, business groups, labor groups, unions, chambers of commerce et cetera. I can see how it would have been interesting for the committee members to hear about our experiences with Canada Post as actual business users. I'm glad that I could be part of it. The entire group was so friendly and welcoming, I can hardly do it justice. Despite that they have been at this for weeks, never staying in one place for more than a few hours at a time before having to pack up and hit the road to the next stop. Obviously, they are top-line professionals at what they do. It was inspiring. 

My pride did have some difficulty in admitting that my sales have been continuing to struggle since summer and into fall but I thought it more important that the panel saw the effect of a broken stride (as a result of the labor disruption) than to save some face. I tried not to belabour the point and it was the one thing not questioned by any member of the panel so I assume that means they have heard all this before coming to Winnipeg.

I shared my remarks yesterday with ebay Canada and gained positive feedback as well. I know we all have our issues with how certain things are done around here but in speaking with the people responsible for the smooth operations of the office in Toronto, I have found them to be nothing short of delightful to interact with. 

Remember, I do still have nine days left to file additional information. If there's anything that needs to be added, please share and i will do my best to forward it to the committee. 

Message 152 of 222
latest reply

Oh and this is exciting. If you go to this link and ciick the mic icon next to some of the presenters, you can read the evidence itself as submit and later transcribed. They haven't caught up to the last of the meetings but most of the early ones are available for public perusal. 

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/OGGO/StudyActivity?studyActivityId=8913079

Message 153 of 222
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

My pride did have some difficulty in admitting that my sales have been continuing to struggle since summer and into fall but I thought it more important that the panel saw the effect of a broken stride (as a result of the labor disruption) than to save some face. I tried not to belabour the point and it was the one thing not questioned by any member of the panel so I assume that means they have heard all this before coming to Winnipeg.

I'm glad you were at least able to mention this.  When over the summer we heard some members worry about the effects of a strike, people with rent to pay, people who depend on eBay sales for their survival and not just to supplement their retirement pensions, it was heartbreaking.  I found I had NO sympathy for the strikers, people with so much when there are staggering numbers of little people with far less and truly not always even enough, people who are made to go without not luxuries but food.  I agree the panel has likely heard it all before but still good to hear it one more time.  Maybe if they ever finally hear it enough times it might actually get in.   🙂 

Message 154 of 222
latest reply

That reminds me: another topic on which I was quizzed was my opinion of alternating days for delivery, or the phase-out of daily delivery. I said truthfully that even though I do ship about ten per cent of (when calculating postage paid not necessity number of orders per se) my orders via domestic lettermail, I felt both personally and as a seller that I would not (nor would my customers) really miss daily delivery of lettermail, and alternating days would certainly be sufficient. With parcels, I said, the expectation is very different. To delay delivery would mean losing the one of the only edges of the Canadian buying experience in which I am competitive as a Canadian seller. I cannot compete on price and I cannot compete on cost of postage but with same-day dispatch and Expedited Parcel shipping, I kick butt on delivery speed. Alternating days for parcel delivery very would be terrible for Canadian sellers, I said. 

This led to a discussion on how China Post is very heavily subsidized through the Universal Postal Union to the disadvantage of all Canadian-based Canada Post users. 

Message 155 of 222
latest reply

Excellent job Maureen! You were able to bring out many of the concerns and recommendations from this board. Lets just hope that some good comes from it. As a disabled mid-seventies senior, community mail boxes would be a very hard thing for me. My husband is sick, but does the mailing for me, but having to go out and get the mail if he is away won't be possible for me, I can't drive, or walk far.

Message 156 of 222
latest reply

Thank you, triber. I absolutely spoke to that as well, both as a receiver of to-door mail and parcels, and as a seller who knows that more than a fair share of my customers have come to me not to take advantage of my great prices (they're not) or my charming, smiling face (it isn't) but because it is simply too difficult to get out and search high-and-low for that special something that they need soft the special someone in their life themselves.

Therefore, the harder it is for those buyers of mine to collect their mail, the harder it is for me to convince them to buy from me. A purchase from me doesn't hold the same benefit if they still have to go out and get it. Whether it's a long walk to a Community mailbox or a short-drive to a postal counter, someone still has to go and get that stuff and carry it and this simply is not feasible for many people who shop online. Off the top of my head that's stay-at-home moms with newborns up all night and kids in school too who need toys, or grannies (or gramps) who are looking for the thing their grandchildren so very covet. To-door delivery is part of the service they are shopping for. There is no question in my mind of that. 

Ditto for me personally. I believe the term I used to describe the possibility of end of to-door service for me was 'devastating'. My incoming shipments are bulk orders that I couldn't carry without a pack mule in tow whereas my outgoing shipments will usefully fit in a purse. Those I can take to the postal counter. The others I cannot. 

But for those folks who've got all their body parts in fine working order, this shift to end to-door delivery seems a trifle. I get that. Pride always goeth before a fall. I've learned a little too much about karma in my life and literally anytime I've thought myself slightly better or somewhat smarter than someone else, I've quickly come to regret it tenfold. 

But I get it. No one knows what it's like to be marginalized until they actually know it for themselves.

If you wanted to take a gander at that link above and go through the list of 139 witnesses who provided testimony to the Committee, you'll be relived (as was I) to see that many of the sessions were attended by seniors groups and advocates for peoples with disabilities so I am confident this concern has been heard loud and clear by the committee. They seemed sensitive to it when I was discussing it with them. 

Message 157 of 222
latest reply

But I get it. No one knows what it's like to be marginalized until they actually know it for themselves.

If you wanted to take a gander at that link above and go through the list of 139 witnesses who provided testimony to the Committee, you'll be relived (as was I) to see that many of the sessions were attended by seniors groups and advocates for peoples with disabilities so I am confident this concern has been heard loud and clear by the committee. They seemed sensitive to it when I was discussing it with them. 

Very interesting, I am so glad that senior groups were involved. Another factor for Canadians is the winter weather for those having to walk on snow and ice who are not steady on their feet.

Message 158 of 222
latest reply

Absolutely. I read through the transcripts of testimony from folks in Corner Brook who spoke about how impossible it is to walk up and down unplowed hills of snow 16-feet deep. That the average population is age 50. And that Community mailboxes just do not work due to the climate and geography.
Message 159 of 222
latest reply

Excellent, concise, yet well-rounded presentation, thank you for taking the time and effort to speak to the Committee!   

Hopefully we'll also hear Mr. Elmwood's report, although he hasn't been around on the boards lately.   I was very keen to participate in the process in my own Province (which would likely have meant driving the 2-1/2 hours to Halifax), but I just didn't have the energy at my age to juggle more demands on my time than I was already managing, what with health issues as well over the summer.   So I'm grateful for your youthful energy and willingness to speak on behalf of eBay sellers. 

If I recall, Pierre Lebel submitted a paper to Canada Post.  I wonder if he's been called to make a presentation?  Is the Committee working from west to east across the country?  We haven't heard from him lately either. 

Since you have an opportunity for a follow-up submission, I'd like to add one point if I may: Since many, many Canadian eBay sellers deal largely with U.S. customers, tracking per se may not be as important as having some sort of parcel input scan on Light/Small Packet USA (and international) that would be acceptable to eBay.  I think this would be a perfectly useful alternative for a lot of us.  

As we all know, if we can meet the on-time metric at our end and verify it to eBay in some way, tracking is moot, unless of course we're concerned about a valuable item that justifies the expense of tracking.  To my mind, eBay itself has made us believe that full tracking is the necessary (and only) solution.   

Surely this would be a cheaper alternative for Canada Post than reasonably-priced full tracking on those services.  It might also be able to be extended to lettermail "parcels" in some form (such as a sticker or label).

So this ask is really twofold: 1) Devise a simple means to offer an input scan or digital receipt for currently non-tracked parcel services; and 2) Liaise with eBay to ensure the input scan/receipt will be acceptable in terms of eBay's on-time delivery policies.  My view is that if Canada Post were able to negotiate and implement a labeling service in conjunction with Paypal and eBay, surely they could manage this minor task.  

Such a solution would almost immediately make thousands of Canadian eBay sellers who sell to the U.S. and internationally far more competitive and successful.  In turn, there would be more parcels for Canada Post.  Win-win, or "solutions for small business" as CP likes to say. 

Message 160 of 222
latest reply