Canada Post RTS

Today I got a letter sent back to me which had discount postage on it (2 x $0.46) for the letter rate of $0.92. It had this sticker on it (see attached photo)

So I asked the lady working the counter why my letter was sent back (she is newer) and she went to ask a more senior lady who said to her understanding its becasue you need to have $1.07 on. Which I said to her "why the heck would anyone pay more then $0.92 when thats the rate." She didn't have an answer to that per say.

It wasnt my post office that sent my letter back, it made it to Ottawa and then got sent back with the attached yellow sticker. I guess some employees are unaware/miss trained that you can use stamps with denomination to make up the "P" rate and the $1.07 rate is only when you buy a single stamp.

I reached out on facebook messanger to my old Postmaster who moved offices in the summer and her reply was to indicate I was correct.  "92 cents is the rate for postage. But the 1.07 is the rate you pay at the counter because you didn’t purchase the stamps in a booklet. There is no reason that should have been returned as insufficient postage. I’d have "the clerk" date stamp over the two 46 cent stamps and have her send it out again."

Anyone else have one of these situations using the denominated stamps? I send thousands of things out a year and never seen this one! lol

Just thought to share my experience in case others have a similar issue at some point. I do live in a very small town and know all the post workers well, so no hard feelings to my great staff here in my town.

250753949_689237695330630_5190516895905735699_n.jpg

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Canada Post RTS

Wow, it's the same writing! Definitely the same person rejecting it! Please report this to Canada Post as this particuar employee is costing people money. I would recommend reaching out to them through their social media channels (Facebook/Twitter) as they seem to be more informed than the chat reps on the website.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

They added 24 and 68 in the top corner. Postage due 15¢. Peeled the yellow sticker off, had a good laugh with the postal clerk and put it back in the mailbox.
Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Im in Ottawa (original poster)! Wonder if that person moved to the other end of the country as that showed your in Vancouver area based on the cancellation lol!

My letter if I recall correctly was only mailed out for a couple days, likely made to Ottawa and got rejected back to my small rural town and was only going to Toronto as I remember telling the customer it was returned for some unkown reason but had been resent.

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Was sent to a customer in Brampton. Mailed March 01 from Vancouver and received back two weeks later, just the right amount of time to get rejected in an Ontario sorting centre and come back.
Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@meowmix14 

Even with the "slight" discrepancy in supposed short postage it would have been more economical to just send the letter the rest of the way vs returning back to you. Just to make a point? Hmmm? Reminds me of take a penny...leave a penny by the register. From CP's perspective guess they are looking at it as a "teaching tool".

-Lotz

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

That person sending these letters back better be a newbie and not a seasoned worker making this mistake! 

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

resurecting my thread from 2021, this employee is still at it! Got another one with the same handwritting today (I have not recieved once since 2021 when they sent my other one back!) Again my letter is going to the mississauga toronto area!

My post office employee was confused when she saw it this morning and put it my mail box, she accepted it back and sent it out again for me.

A friend of mine in London, ON 2 days ago got something with this person hand writting on it as well.

stage.jpg

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

Why don't you send a message to Canada Post through Facebook? They do seem to reply to messages. It might be the easiest way to deal with it as they could probably just send out some sort of reminder to employees there.

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

Sent a FB message, we shall see if they reply lol!

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 30 of 30
latest reply