Canada Post SFSB Changes - March 20th

I got an email from Canada Post a few minutes ago talking about some changes to the SFSB program (which apparently came into effect yesterday).

It appears that Level 1 users get a (very) slight bump in discount for Xpresspost and some international destinations, and it looks like the penalty (or reduced discount) for doing the paperwork and label at the post office rather than online has been removed. This should be verified, but I'm sure that will be of interest to a number of people.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@flipistics wrote:

I got an email from Canada Post a few minutes ago talking about some changes to the SFSB program (which apparently came into effect yesterday).

It appears that Level 1 users get a (very) slight bump in discount for Xpresspost and some international destinations, and it looks like the penalty (or reduced discount) for doing the paperwork and label at the post office rather than online has been removed. This should be verified, but I'm sure that will be of interest to a number of people.

@flipistics 

Here is the notice.

lotzofuniquegoodies_2-1679412306090.png

Curious to see how long it will take to apply (kick in) for anyone using eBay Labels vs CP/Shippo? For a brief time eBay labels was showing a larger discount(savings) compared to Shippo but final prices were matching.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I haven't yet got the email. 

My store's shut down at the moment so I'm not transacting at the PO, I wonder if this will affect the "stamps on the box" kinda folks like me or not.

Interestingly when the January changes came through, there was NO change (increase) to me, apparently the counter rate folks didn't get them waived until January like the online folks. In a very sad and ironic way it almost seemed like a win 🤔

I'll have to see what happens in a couple weeks when I reopen! Never sad to find out the rates are less than I'd expected 😁

I did just now go and check the manual, only the "Features, options and other surcharges" page shows as updated on March 20th. None of the rate tables are any different so I don't think I'll see any changes in my costs.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

"up to"

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Based on the copy of the letter in the second post, it sounds like the changes are only for those who use their SB discount at the counter.  I don't get the impression that this will affect any online rates.  The title mentions that their changes to the retail rate when using the SB card, not online.  

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Yes, this was a sudden/quiet update this past Monday.

The change is solely at the post office counter - previously, when providing your SFSB number at the counter you received a discount but it was less than the discount you'd receive if you purchased your postage online. Canada Post had both a "Level 1 Post Office" discount level, and a "Level 1 Online" discount level.

They've gone ahead and merged the two "Level 1" discount levels so you get the same discount regardless of where you purchase your postage. For those that exceed an annual $2,500 spend, you will still never get higher than a Level 1 discount if you purchase your postage at the post office.

This is fantastic news for the "stamps on the box" sellers - since they can't print postage online they were never able to get the higher Level 1 discount rate. Now they can.

It's business as usual for folks who already print their postage online.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Based on the copy of the letter in the second post, it sounds like the changes are only for those who use their SB discount at the counter.  I don't get the impression that this will affect any online rates.  The title mentions that their changes to the retail rate when using the SB card, not online.  

@pjcdn2005 

@ricarmic 

@dinomitesales 

Just spoke to CP business services. Small discrepancy in the wording to the announcement. In the past small business owners receive a smaller discount at a retail outlet vs online. Now the 2 match with a slight bumb to both as of the March 20th date. (The difference at the outlet was connected to labour involved with an agent.) 

-Lotz

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

That's how I read the announcement too but thanks to dinomite and lotz for confirming it.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Hmm maybe some hope for good news yet then??

@dinomitesales maybe I'm looking in the wrong "manual", wouldn't be the first time. 

Up till now, the rates here:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/postal-guide/business-parcels.pdf 

Have coincided with what I've been paying at the counter. As I mentioned in my earlier thread all the tables appear to be the same as before, ie I don't see any changes, however I don't see anywhere that it says this is the default level 1 discount either. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Got this e-mail, too. I am at level 2, but still ChitChats is much cheaper, due to the (in)famous CP fuel surcharge. Here is the comparison for a 200 g parcel:

ChitChats - 8.31

CP SP - 10.92
CP TP - 11.47

I miss CP (seriously), especially their perfecty working return system, not available at ChitChats. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@ricarmic this should be the most up to date PDF with the current rates you'll now pay at the post office counter: https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/prices/business-prices.pdf - greatest discounts observed in USA and Int'l Tracked Packet services.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@dinomitesales Thank you very much!

I am confused about why the two manuals have different price tables in them, however CP is always a place of many mysteries to me at least!!!

I'm glad I've got the good one now, I'll have to try a test somehow during my holidays to make sure my PO is applying the rates in this latest table group before I reprint all my tables!

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Woohoo! It is not every day that I go to the PO and pay less than I did before, especially as one of those lowly stamps on the box kinda sellers!

Despite my store being closed I got one of those almost long forgotten cheques today so had to take some expedited and tracked packets to the PO and the new lower rate was what came through!

Now I've got to reprint all my tables, however as I said I think it's the first time I've ever had the pleasure of printing LOWER prices!!!

THX agan @dinomitesales for pointing me to the SSB document, strangely enough the other manual I used to use still has the old rates in it. Doesn't matter to me now, as I'll just keep using the SSB one.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

WOW, when I printed off the tables, I discovered how much reduced the price was for the lower weight US tracked packets as opposed to what I was paying before.

My old 100g US tracked preFS was $13.05 (against $8.34 non tracked preFS)

My new 100g US tracked preFS is $8.53 (against $8.08 non tracked preFS)

The differences are now small enough (remember my stamps on the box postage is discounted) that I think I'm going to send everything to the US tracked, inasmuch for customer service as opposed to covering my butt.

A major victory in the land of "stamps on the box" sellers indeed!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

So in this case, you are now getting the shown online discount rate at the retail counter with your SFSB card?  

Message 16 of 16
latest reply