Canada Post Tracking Showing Incorrect Information

I had a buyer reach out to me about this, so I thought I'd post here about it.  Canada Post's tracking on their website is currently showing the service from Flat Rate Boxes (or at least the extra small ones) as being "Expedited USA" on the tracking page.  I checked the last one I sent out (which was in February) and it showed the same thing.  That one was delivered without an issue, but if someone has a buyer confused about it there might be a gremlin in the system somewhere. 

I guess it's also possible someone in my local post office entered the information wrong. Can someone else who has sent out a flat rate box check the tracking and see what service it says?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@flipistics wrote:

I had a buyer reach out to me about this, so I thought I'd post here about it.  Canada Post's tracking on their website is currently showing the service from Flat Rate Boxes (or at least the extra small ones) as being "Expedited USA" on the tracking page.  I checked the last one I sent out (which was in February) and it showed the same thing.  That one was delivered without an issue, but if someone has a buyer confused about it there might be a gremlin in the system somewhere. 

I guess it's also possible someone in my local post office entered the information wrong. Can someone else who has sent out a flat rate box check the tracking and see what service it says?

@flipistics 

Sent 1 small out 2 weeks ago and no issue. Tracking was okay. Sent out a number 2 last week to Toronto and and good and another to go on Monday. Will advise if i see anything weird. Maybe just another ghost in the machine. CP has been doing some major reworking of the website as of late so anything is possible.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

@flipistics 

Sent 1 small out 2 weeks ago and no issue. Tracking was okay. Sent out a number 2 last week to Toronto and and good and another to go on Monday. Will advise if i see anything weird. Maybe just another ghost in the machine. CP has been doing some major reworking of the website as of late so anything is possible.

-Lotz

Tracking shows fine on mine too. It's the service that's being displayed that is wrong. I'm just curious if it's a Canada Post issue or if there's an issue with the computers in my local branch (which is possible as they've had them replaced a few times recently).

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

@flipistics 

-Lotz

Tracking shows fine on mine too. It's the service that's being displayed that is wrong. I'm just curious if it's a Canada Post issue or if there's an issue with the computers in my local branch (which is possible as they've had them replaced a few times recently).

@flipistics 

@dinomitesales 

It does appear to be a glitch on the small. Confirmed the shipment from 2 weeks ago and service does state Expedited USA. Might be time for a few calls up CP chain to get fixed. I don't check that field as a matter of routine. Just noticed the "Carbon Neutral" tag.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

There's a Reddit thread on this subject dating five months or so, but unfortunately the OP deleted their posts:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaPost/comments/17mt2qf/shipping_across_canada_but_tracking_says/

Is the tracking number for your item the usual long string of numerals associated with a domestic parcel shipment, @flipistics?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

There's a Reddit thread on this subject dating five months or so, but unfortunately the OP deleted their posts:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaPost/comments/17mt2qf/shipping_across_canada_but_tracking_says/

Is the tracking number for your item the usual long string of numerals associated with a domestic parcel shipment, @flipistics?

It's GD{9 numbers}CA, same as for my other flat rate boxes.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

It's GD{9 numbers}CA, same as for my other flat rate boxes.

Seeing as the format for tracking codes for international shipments is letter-letter-nine digits-CA, there may have been something that threw the website coding for a loop and it interpreted the tracking number as an international shipment.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Never heard of this before, I assume it's a glitch. Canada Post hasn't said anything about it.

Wouldn't worry about it too much unless the box somehow left the country.

The "Extra Small" flat rate boxes require you to input a destination country when they are inducted at the post office counter (the other sizes don't - from what I understand this is some weird glitch with how the Extra Small boxes are read by Canada Post's RPOS system). We're obviously told to just enter "Canada" but I honestly don't know what happens if you enter another country - maybe the clerk you dealt with accidentally entered "United States" as the destination country? I can't really test this in any way because it would require me entering the wrong country into another customer's transaction lol.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I played around with this a little more at work the other day. I can confirm it's just the Extra Small boxes that are showing "Expedited Parcel USA", and it does still show that even if it's properly inducted with "Canada" chosen as the destination country.

It's just a glitch of some kind, likely related to the way the Extra Small Box tracking number's are coded in their system. I'm sure it will fix itself at some point. It's the kind of thing that I doubt anyone would even notice, and even if you did have a buyer say "hey, what the heck?" you could just tell them it's a known glitch and there's no way the box is leaving the country.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

I played around with this a little more at work the other day. I can confirm it's just the Extra Small boxes that are showing "Expedited Parcel USA", and it does still show that even if it's properly inducted with "Canada" chosen as the destination country.

It's just a glitch of some kind, likely related to the way the Extra Small Box tracking number's are coded in their system. I'm sure it will fix itself at some point. It's the kind of thing that I doubt anyone would even notice, and even if you did have a buyer say "hey, what the heck?" you could just tell them it's a known glitch and there's no way the box is leaving the country.

Thanks for checking!  I'll probably never have another buyer even look at it, but at least I can tell them something concrete if they do.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply