Canada Post dates are wrong, Customers filing claims.

Hello,

I sell mostly low priced items, and use light packet /small packet Canada Post. March 2017 several buyers have filed Item not received - the shipping Date to the US is way too short. 

How long should it take for a light packet / Small Packet Air from Alberta to anywhere in the USA take?

IS this customs issue?

How to avoid getting these complaints, and opening Cases against me.

HELP.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Canada Post dates are wrong, Customers filing claims.

looks like you send everything with tracking, so you should have no issues, perhaps you need to extend your handling time, add a few extra days..should help you out..buyers usually don't check handling time, they only check the time it should arrive..

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@orphanitems wrote:

I sell mostly low priced items, and use light packet /small packet Canada Post. March 2017 several buyers have filed Item not received - the shipping Date to the US is way too short.

In part it is because Canada Post uses estimates on their website that are pure fiction. Only the tracked service estimates are somewhat accurate.  eBay then uses those Canada Post estimates for their INR time estimates.

One work around is to increase your handling time to 3 days (you can go beyond 3 days, but it apparently reduces the search priority for best match).

For 201-250g use Small Packet USA rather than Light Packet USA. Small Packet gets more time than Light packet and only costs 1cent more for that weight range.

You can also message your buyer with your estimated time range. Since Tracked Packet by Canada Post standards can take 13 days, untracked methods should not have shorter time estimate than that.

The Canada Post estimated delivery times for:

Letter-post USA is 4 to 6 business days. Light packet is lumped with Letter-post.

Small packet (air) is 5 to 8 business days

Tracked packet USA is 5 to 6 business days (between major urban cities)

Tracked packet USA is 6 to 13 business days (for the rest)

Expedited parcel USA is 4 to 5 business days (between major urban cities)

Expedited parcel USA is 4 to 10 business days (for the rest)

Delivery standards: https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGdeliverystds-e.asp

-..-

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Avoid by listing everything with the longest shipping tine. on .ca economy shipping and standard international shipping.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Actually I use Packets - NOT Tracked Packet for small light items - and this does NOT have a tracking number. If I used TRACKED PACKET it would cost about 15.00 and sales would drop - most buyers will not pay that kind of shipping for an item worth often less than 10.00. Shipping times seem to be at least a week longer.  I am wondering if it is US CUSTOMS?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the Customs have to do with the delay as I see from the tracking information that I send to US by Tracked Packet,  Expedited and XpressPost, I never see they stopped at the Customs only in Canada where they were coming from USA to Canada.  The Customs in Canada can be so bad, I have some items sitting there for 2 to 4 weeks for no reasons at all. I shipped all my items with tracking numbers,

I no longer use cheaper mail service with no tracking number due to way too many "where is my item?" &/or "I didn't receive my item" which is not worth the hassle and forced me to switch from cheaper mail service with no tracking number to mail service with tracking number.  I may be losing many potential buyers but so far I sold 2-3 items daily better than the last 2 years.  I guess the buyers are comfortable with tracking number knowing they are going to arrive to them by checking the tracking infromation than to wonder where they are.

USPS is so bad in moving items from A to B, B to C, so on.  I have many items that I see by tracking, they may be sitting somewhere and finally showed they arrived.  It seems that USPS employees don't bother to scan any items from A to B, B to C, etc., unlike Canada Post where it showed every step from my home to the buyers' homes.  I always say that USPS employees are being paid to do nothing!!  LOL!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:
USPS is so bad in moving items from A to B, B to C, so on.  I have many items that I see by tracking, they may be sitting somewhere and finally showed they arrived.  It seems that USPS employees don't bother to scan any items from A to B, B to C, etc., unlike Canada Post where it showed every step from my home to the buyers' homes.  I always say that USPS employees are being paid to do nothing!! 

My understanding is that most USPS domestic mail services offer delivery confirmation, but not necessarily full tracking.

Even the official word from Canada Post suggests that Expedited Parcel USA only gets "milestone scans", not scanned at every stop along the way.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/expeditedparcelusa_en.pdf

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

"How long should it take for a light packet / Small Packet Air from Alberta to anywhere in the USA take?"

I'm assuming mail from Alberta goes to Vancouver, then joins with the rest of the western mail to San Francisco to enter the USA.

I monitor how long it takes from Vancouver.  Average to Eastern time zone is 10 days.  Delivery to California addresses average 7 days.

Add 1-2 days for your items to get from Alberta to Vancouver.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply