Canada Post down for the weekend and Monday?

i just got home from the PO.  I was told that the CP computer system is down nationwide.  Has been all weekend and still is today.   Apparently this was a planned update to the computer system.    So no packages can be shipped anywhere.  I could only buy Canadian stamps.

Am i being fed a line by the lady at the PO?   What kind of major company has a planned 3 day shutddown of all services??

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

From their website:

Online Tool Outage
June 30, 2022
Posted in Closures and service interruptions

Outage details

We are upgrading our website and online tools to serve you better.

From Thursday, June 30 at 8 p.m. until Monday, July 4 at 9 a.m. Eastern Time (ET), you will not be able to access any tools or services that require sign in at canadapost-postescanada.ca .

It doesn't sound like the postal service stopped completely.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

well that's what i was told.  She sent several people away who wanted to send parcels.   She said that CP was  uploading the new system.  Maybe that is what is causing the outage everywhere?  This woman knows less about computers than i do, so that's why i'm not sure i trust her.  She may just not know what she's doing.

Edit: i just tried phoning CP and all i got was a rapid busy signal.  Seems lots of people are calling in so the shut down must be ligit.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

phc64
Community Member

I wasn't able to sign into the Canada Post website all weekend. The 'service interruption' was only supposed to last until 9am today. Canada Post shipping labels also cannot currently be purchased through eBay. I was about to head out to my local post office, so thanks for saving me the trip by letting us know that the system is down at post offices as well.

This means that currently parcels cannot be shipped via Canada Post. I have a number of shipments eBay is indicating I need to ship by midnight tonight.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

yeah, Ebay is going to be barking at me too if i don't ship my packages today.  Not to mention potentially customers barking at me.  As usual the seller gets carped on for the failings of others.

I repeat: what kind of major company has a planned multi day shut down of all services??

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

I usually print labels via Snap Ship. I was able to purchase labels through eBay. Which I did, despite it being more expensive for me. Better just to get the packages out.

If you cannot print labels at all, contact the customer and explain that there is a nationwide outage to Canada Post's system, so their shipment might be delayed by a day or so. Contact eBay pre-emptively, and they will probably agree to remove any late shipment defects. 

You could mark it as shipped and add the tracking later, but this might violate some policy. If you do this, I would certainly contact the customer and explain that their item is packed and ready to go, but there will be a 24-48 hour delay for it to be assigned a tracking number because Canada Post's system is down. 

You could also buy flat rate boxes, which might be cheaper anyways. The tracking code is already built into the box. There would still be a delay if your post office isn't accepting parcels, but your item would at least qualify as "shipped" since you'd have valid tracking uploaded. 

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

This is now on the ebay shipping page.  Nothing on the CP website about the delay for their update to be completed.

"Please be aware that CANADAPOST is experiencing issues at the moment. We apologise for any inconvenience and if affected, ask that you try again later. Veuillez prendre note que CANADAPOST rencontre actuellement des problèmes avec ses systèmes. Nous vous prions de nous excuser de ce désagrément et nous vous invitions à réessayer plus tard."

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

The only thing currently working right now for Canada Post seems to be tracking. I mean, it's great that we can track the packages we can't send out 🙄

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

It already has happened not long time ago. Today it happens again: https://status.canadapost.ca/

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

You can view it on https://status.canadapost.ca/ 

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

. I have a number of shipments eBay is indicating I need to ship by midnight tonight.

Mark them shipped now and add the tracking number later.

Although I usually get my parcels in the mail by 3pm on weekdays, I am using stamps rather than labels and the system accepts the workaround.

When I am tracking, which is only about twice a month because most of my sales go LetterPost, I add the number after I get home with the reciept.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Still down for trackable stuff at 2pm ET in my wee village. Small packets went through ok but that's all.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Snap ship just worked for me - 12:45 Mountain 😊

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

ChitChats are reporting the issue has been resolved as of 4:12 Eastern time

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Yep my wee PO was back up and running at 4pm ET

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

The weekend was planned, today was a SNAFU.  At least it is back up. 

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@fergua3 wrote:

What kind of major company has a planned 3 day shutddown of all services??

A Crown Corporation that realizes that a long weekend in one of their slower periods would be pretty good timing to get some upgrading done.  As already pointed out, SNAFUs made it a bit longer than that.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

virtually all major corporations manage to do their computer upgrades without shutting down their business for days.  In fact, CP is the only large company i can think of that doesn't mange to do that.

Imagine if Ebay, Amazon, any of the banks, etc etc etc shut down their business, purposely for days to do computer upgrades.  CP does it because they have a monopoly on the postal system....that's the only reaason.  They know they can get away with it and their customes can just put up with the major inconvenience.  

If we all could have used "Joes Postal Serice" instead, and CP would have lost millions in revenue and tons of customers they would plan their computer upgrades more carefully to minimize inconveniece.  But they know we have no choice but to put up with it, so they do it.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

When have you been able to visit a Canada Post office (not a franchised outlet/dealer) on a weekend or holiday?
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

virtually all major corporations manage to do their computer upgrades without shutting down their business for days.  In fact, CP is the only large company i can think of that doesn't mange to do that.

Imagine if Ebay, Amazon, any of the banks, etc etc etc shut down their business, purposely for days to do computer upgrades.  CP does it because they have a monopoly on the postal system....that's the only reaason.  They know they can get away with it and their customes can just put up with the major inconvenience.  

If we all could have used "Joes Postal Serice" instead, and CP would have lost millions in revenue and tons of customers they would plan their computer upgrades more carefully to minimize inconveniece.  But they know we have no choice but to put up with it, so they do it.

Last Thursday I walked over to my local SD to drop off a couple of parcels. They were closed for the day for inventory. Was a number of other people there to pick up, drop off etc.  They were not impressed. Scanners were down so they "supposedly" couldn't do anything. For me the next nearest depot is 20 mins away. Not everyone drives so this most likely caused an inconvenience. Hey, maybe, inventory..... after hours? And the topper, to do this before a holiday when there are no pick ups on the weekend. 

-Lotz

Message 20 of 28
latest reply