Canada Post new Flat Rate boxes within Canada since Oct 2016 ?

While trying to find Light Packet rates for 2017 using Google Search and reading many pages, I came across this page?

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/consumer/details.page?article=2016/10/27/new_flat_rate_boxes_...

Now you can conveniently ship items both nationally and cost-effectively with the new flat rate box from Canada Post. Available in three sizes, the flat rate box allows you to ship up to 5 kg anywhere in Canada. The price of each box includes the following features:

• Postage
  • On-time delivery guarantee*
  • Tracking
  • Delivery confirmation
  • Up to $100 of liability coverage for loss or damage**

No need to search for packaging, to measure or calculate shipping rates: if it fits, it ships. Simply pack the flat rate box without changing its dimensions and ensure its contents are secure to prevent movement during transport (see the type of items you cannot send in the mail here). Use this handy tool and check the Expedited Parcel delivery standard to find out when your items will arrive.

Purchase a flat rate box in-store at any one of 50 post office locations. Find a location near you. While only available for purchase at select stores, the boxes can be sent from any post office across Canada. The smallest flat rate box can even be sent from any street letter box. See more details about the flat rate box and its delivery standards in the tables below.

Flat Rate boxes.jpg

If I compare the small size box rate of $13.49 (price before taxes) to Canada Post Find a Rate page using the dimension given and check the 1 kg and 5 kg rate for Expedited Parcel and choose my postal code in Vancouver BC region to another Postal code in Quebec Province South of Montreal (National),

1 kg ---> $13.44 rate + 0.57 (Fuel Surcharge) = $14.01 ---> PayPal $12.19

2 kg ---> $15.24 rate + 0.65 (Fuel Surcharge) = $15.89 ---> PayPal $13.82

3 kg ---> $16.44 rate + 0.70 (Fuel Surcharge) = $17.14 ---> PayPal $14.95

4 kg ---> $17.88 rate + 0.76 (Fuel Surcharge) = $18.64 ---> PayPal $16.22

5 kg ---> $19.32 rate + 0.82 (Fuel Surcharge) = $20.14 ---> PayPal $17.52

The above rate are from Find A Rate and are for Expedited Parcel with Show Minimal Saving (5% of Regular Parcel) with sales taxes not included. PayPal Expedited Parcel rate would be about 13% less than above so I put a PayPal rate estimate.

I do not know if the $13.49 includes fuel surcharge. The above rates are from October 2016 and may not be valid for 2017.

I conclude that the small flat rate box will be cheaper than PayPal for 2 to 5 kg for National distances. It may be significantly cheaper for a buyer in a more remote location. I do not see any restrictions (like remote up north locations).

Using the above box at $13.49 for Regional and Local destination will most likely not be cheaper than PayPal  except at the highest weight 4 or 5 kg. I did not with closer Postal Codes because the Canada Post Find A Rate page is so slow to give a rate.

If someone could do some checking to confirm my conclusions to make sure I am not making any mistakes.

PS The small box size is about the size of a large box of cereal which I just measured to get an idea of the size. It appears to be a useful size unlike the eBay Canada Post Flat Rate box of years ago. The other boxes also appear to be a larger useful size.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Canada Post Flat Rate boxes within Canada

Interesting post. I would like to know how other Canadian eBay sellers are dealing with another issue, actually something what bothers me much more: I am selling cheap and small parts, they meet the limits of Canadian oversize letter mail. But some of my products are fragile and would need a better packaging than just an envelope. Actually I was too naive when I started last year and never expected to have such a hard time to find shipping boxes in letter size on the Canadian market. For example, Australia has the same, online business unfriendly limit of 20mm for letters. But they have uncountable manufacturers and wholesalers for letter size shipping boxes. You can get 35 x 24 x 2 cm boxes really everywhere. But absolutely nowhere in Canada? Did someone found a supplier for something like that in Canada already? I was asking manufacturers in Canada for customized boxes, but they are calling prices for it, that's not fun. 50 cents per box if I would order 10,000. On the other hand, there are also lots of suppliers in Germany, offering boxes in the size I would like to use for my shipments, for just about 250 CAD for a pack of 1000 - shipping included.

Who knows about those boxes, available from Canadian suppliers?

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for info.

How can I get boxes in N.L.?

Mark

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Yes, the fact that the original Flat Rate boxes were only one size, was an issue. But for me, they were great, as I could fill them up and not pay a fortune to ship. I actually had to reorder more as I was always running out.

They were originally 3 for $1.95, and later went up by more than double to 5.95. That upset more then a few folks.

The nail in their coffin, was that towards the end, ebay was always changing the shipping cost without letting us know. I had a US buyer tell me that when his order arrived, there was money owing, not good.

For a blast from the past, here is the CPC feedback page, with many comments that I thought you folks might enjoy,

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=050ec8d2973f0ff163c24...

Notice the DSR for speed of shipping.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Did someone found a supplier for something like that in Canada already?

Thinking (literally ) outside the box, are you familiar with a product called b-flute?

This is a sheet of cardboard, but has one smooth side and one fluted side.

It is available in a roll and can be purchased with gum on the fluted side.

The idea is you cut off the amount of b-flute you need to package your item, fold it over like a calzone or cornish pastie, press the gummed side together and there's your 'box'.

Here's an example from U-line, which is not gummed.

https://www.uline.ca/Product/AdvSearchResult?keywords=b-flute&SubGroups=1902&view=ALL&TrackSearch=N

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Mmmm. Cardboard pastries. Sounds like my own home-baking. 

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Hello,

I don't see this option under my solutions account - where do I pick the flat rate option?

Thanks

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@yazidz wrote:
I don't see this option under my solutions account - where do I pick the flat rate option?

Not available online (maybe in the future).

You buy the flat rate boxes at one of the locations where they are available (see first post).

-..-

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

2019 update: Now available at most post offices

Prepaid "if it fits it ships" flat rate box info:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/flat-rate-box.page?
July 2019July 2019

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Nice that they are available at all Post Offices but the price increases from when originally announced are significant ... Small $17.99 (orig $13.490 Medium $22.99 (orig $16.48) Large $29.99 (orig $19.990
Message 29 of 31
latest reply

@rad456 wrote:
Nice that they are available at all Post Offices but the price increases from when originally announced are significant ... Small $17.99 (orig $13.49) ...

Beta test rates, usually have a cheap rate to get people to try it out, followed by rate increases to cover costs based on how people were actually using them. Lost revenue from people not using regular parcel to mail also figures into the equation.

The last price increase was Spring 2019 (small box went up from $15.99).

Even with higher rates, my postal outlet has problems keeping the boxes in stock. They are a very popular item. Too bad there are no discounts available for Sellers.

-..-

Message 30 of 31
latest reply

And speaking of prices, an actual example of a book I mailed yesterday.

300g, urban Ontario to rural Alberta

Expedited, with SfSB discount: $16.95 + $2.03 fuel surcharge + 5% GST = $19.93

Flat rate small box: $17.99 + 13% HST = $20.33

If registered for GST/HST the flat rate box is cheaper in this example, if not registered it depends on tax rates (Expedited is based on destination, flat rate box on post office location).

What I actually did:

I put $18 of discounted stamps on the parcel and paid the difference of 98 cents + 5% GST. Saved around $5 over the other choices.

I also picked up a flat rate box to have on hand, keeping my shipping options open for the future.

-..-

Message 31 of 31
latest reply