Canada Post shipping rates vs USPS

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Canada-Post-High-Shipping-Rates/m-p/356307Hello everyone I know there were a lot of threads about Canada Post rates.Just want to show you something that shocked me this morning.I wanted to see how much would cost me shipping from Champlain New York to Florida with USPS vs Canada Post for a 28" luggage,This is my biggest item .

Canada Post rate for today is 

Rate Summary

Base Price $537.87
Coverage

$0.00

Options $0.00
Fuel Surcharge $12.10
Tax $0.00
Total $549.97

Here is USPS rate for today

USPS Retail Ground™
Tue, Nov 15
$36.91
Not available

Whats wrong with Canada Post ? Its unreal how Canada Post overcharge us .For example a seller from China is able to offer a set of luggage 3 pcs weight is 24 lbs selling price  USA $13.99 free international shipping and he had sold 156 pcs  already .How is that possible ? On top of this eBay charge fees on the shipping cost as well PayPal.

We have been active seller on eBay for one year and a half,We had been shipping to Europe,Australia and even Japan and we never had such a rate .I think is really a time for Canadian eBay sellers to take an action .I know that our seller mjwl2006 wrote to the committee and even he had been a victim  of  underestimated ebay shipping charge.

Here is another treads fro just this week because there had been a lot of discussions about . I will really appreciate all your inputs.

I dont know what to do ,should i cancel all my luggage listing.Such a mess 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Canada Post shipping rates vs USPS

Much of what you sell is based on a Volumetric Equivalent  calculated weight.

It is the volume of the piece of luggage that dictates  how much the cost of postage will be...

This is discussed in the following link

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/4_Preparing/Prep_parcels-e.pdf

How volumetric equivalent is calculated is indicated on page 7 of the 12 pages in this Canada Post document.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

What does it cost to ship the same item from the US to Canada..... New York City to where you live in Montreal ?

Is there a way to deliver to the US and access the USPS as a shipping option?  There may be such an option for sellers in Montreal... such as is present for sellers in Toronto...  and other cities in Canada..... 

and ... Perhaps one can conclude that certain items should not be sold online.....  This is something many Canadian sellers have to admit.....  or make an adjustment, or find a way to access the USPS.

What about UPS or Fed-Ex?

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Is cheaper to ship from USA Champlain then from Montreal from what i saw today . Before was almost equal .Fedex is more expensive or i should say was .From today even DHL is cheaper.Anyhow i think that we subside sellers from Chine .Its not just me .We all pay for there postage thru UP agreement.
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

That is possible because Canadians in general sit back and let it happen.
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

American sellers already complained about
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

How much does it cost you to drive from Montreal to Champlain?

How long does it take you to drive both ways?

There are restrictions on bringing goods across the border for sale in the USA, do you have the required importation permits?

The difference is astonishing, but add in all your costs.

I think I heard of a Montreal freight forwarding company that operated like chitchat express for eBay sellers. I don't remember the name.

And of course, you should be comparing the courier rates.

US residents can import up to $800USD (about $1000 CDN) before duty kicks in, so at least you don't have that worry.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Ask on the French Canada boards about freight forwarders.

You probably would find more Montrealers there.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

What are the dimensions and weight of that package?

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

What are the dimensions and weight of that package?

More important....which service?

I'd bet the OP picked Priority™ Worldwide

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

No I don't think she did. Canada Post has changed / is changing? their website - it looks the same when you first try to calculate a rate and then it brings up this "ugly" result that doesn't even tell you what type of service it is. I tried with a 30" x20" x 20" and 10kg package and got the same rates as the OP pretty well but it doesn't tell me what the service is .... but when i try with a smaller package i get the usual old results page ... 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

I got that too. It includes signature so has to be xpressPost or priority.

i don't why it looks like that though.  When I searched for a rate for a smaller package it showed the proper page with all of the options.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I played with the actual box sizes a bit and if I put in 30x20x10 and 10kg I get the normal page with a choice of 3 options so I guess the 30x20x20 only qualifies for 1 shipping method and you get that strange little page ... maybe it's always been like that but I have never tried to get quotes for a package that big so I guess I would never see that page ... but it's odd it doesn't actually seem to say what type of service it is 

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

No I don't think she did. Canada Post has changed / is changing? their website - it looks the same when you first try to calculate a rate and then it brings up this "ugly" result that doesn't even tell you what type of service it is. I tried with a 30" x20" x 20" and 10kg package and got the same rates as the OP pretty well but it doesn't tell me what the service is .... but when i try with a smaller package i get the usual old results page ... 

I inputted approximate size/weight for a Toronto to Florida package and got a similar rate to the OP for Priority™ Worldwide but there were MUCH MUCH cheaper options for Xpresspost and Expedited.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Hello an update on the case .Something was wrong with the Canada post website .After 4 hours i get roughly $57 something much better than before.Phew .....
I usually use expedited parcel.But after all im still wondering how to get the rates that the Chinese sellers gets
Message 15 of 24
latest reply

yes there is .Something is wrong with the website
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Ok so you don't get the funny looking page then like the OP's "box" in her original post? ~ I see the same thing as her and it gives no other options only that one expensive rate. 

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Move to China ~ lol

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

still wondering how to get the rates that the Chinese sellers gets

Those are based on the China Post rates, so if you are not shipping from China, you won't get the rate.

Just for comparison (I'm playing devil's advocate here)

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/postal-service/rate.htm

So the first 50 grams ships by Small Packet for CNY5 then for CNY9 for each additional gram up to 100gr .

By Large Parcel it's 137CNY to one kilo.

A yuen is 5.06 to the loonie. http://www.xe.com/currency/cad-canadian-dollar

So a Chinese seller pays about $2.70 to ship a kilo to Canada.

Which is a lot cheaper than Canada to China, but them we have to account for the difference in the cost of living.

How long does it take a Canadian to earn $2.70 ? How long does it take a Chinese to earn 137yuen?

I found several different amounts some as old as 2012, but it looks like it would take an average of half an hour at average wages.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@fashionoutletdeal wrote:
Hello an update on the case .Something was wrong with the Canada post website .After 4 hours i get roughly $57 something much better than before.Phew .....
I usually use expedited parcel.But after all im still wondering how to get the rates that the Chinese sellers gets

Chinese sellers get the rate they get due to the treaties between countries as part of the Universal Postal Union. http://www.upu.int/en/the-upu/member-countries.html

China is classified as a Third-World Country so their postal rates to First-World Countries like Canada and the USA are heavily subsidized by other users. Like us. We pay for the cheaper shipping offered to China. 

Message 20 of 24
latest reply