Canada Post vs Fedex

I

notice that FedEx shipping to the United States is quite a bit cheaper than Canada Post Expedited. But - if I use FedEx, do my buyers have to pay for the rediculously high FedEx brokerage fees.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Canada Post vs Fedex

Back in the day if a shipment was below the dutiable amount (at the time US$200, now US$800) there were no brokerage fees applied.

This was about 15 years ago so things may have changed but I suspect they have not. Best to confirm with FedEx.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I think you are refering to the Federal US Border Tax - so I don't think it applies here. I think border tax and brokerage fees are quite different.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

I think you are refering to the Federal US Border Tax - so I don't think it applies here. I think border tax and brokerage fees are quite different.

If it's below the limit it's a casual customs entry and there are no brokerage fees, over the $800 requires a formal customs entry (regardless if anything is payable) and for that FedEx (also UPS) WILL charge brokerage fees.

Here is the relevant FedEx page:

https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/ancillary-clearance-service.html

If you are using FedEx Ground there appears to be no fees on shipments below US$800.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Don't forget that your US buyers will have paid any state and local taxes owing on the item to eBay at the time of payment.  US customs doesn't collect taxes owing on items.  The buyers are responsible for remitting any unpaid taxes due on items they import themselves, and this is usually done on the honour system.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

byto253
Community Member
Are dealing with FedEx directly?
Message 6 of 6
latest reply