Canada shipping to Puerto Rico

Hello,

I am trying to purchase a label shipping from Canada to Puerto Rico, but it won't complete. I see other people have had issues in past. Does anyone know how to get the label to work? If I can't get it to work, I will have to ship at the post office and cost me more.

My weight is 660 g, 32x23x11 cm. Well within the minimum and maximum of CP Tracked Packet USA. Address looks good.

I read some threads regarding this, but they are super long and drawn out, and I didn't see any actual solutions, all speculation. Any tips to get it to work would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Canada shipping to Puerto Rico

Also is the HS Tariff code potentially causing issues? I've never had to use that before with International shipments.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I see he has his country selected as Puerto Rico. Should it be USA? I can't manually change it. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Yes Puerto Rico is considered part of the US. I had to change the country manually to get it to work. I have always used a HS Tariff code when shipping to other countries.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thank you, I will request the buyer switch his country to US, because I can't. Thanks again!

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The buyer will not be able to change his address post-sale.  Can you amend it in the address to add USA, or make the country USA, when buying the label.  PR has a US zip code so you would think this would not be an issue.   

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

A typical error. I had recently a similar issue with Guam. It must be changed to US, otherwise it will not work. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

A typical error. I had recently a similar issue with Guam. It must be changed to US, otherwise it will not work. 

@38e_avenue 

@byto253 

@specstorm1 

Were you using eBay Labels? This issue cropped up in the past with shippo. The country wasn't properly porting to their system. You could manually update with Shippo and label generated no problem and got billed correctly. It was fixed after a few reports of this issue.

The few times I have tried to manually update an address with eBay labels (typos, missing unit number etc) system grief with those kinds of changes. Haven't had 1 in awhile so unsure if any new recent changes have been made. Worst case scenario the label "could" be created with CP. Except no access to the USA tracked discount we get with ebay Labels.

-Lotz

Re: Tariff code formate with eBay Labels    ####.##      . eBay's system still has not been updated to include any additional numbers that will be required in the future. 

Re 2: eBay recently tinkered with the weight sections of the labels. Top measurement field is for weight and dimensions of parcel. Customs weight is weight of goods being shipped.   That amount must be less than shipment weight or label will not process. You have to monitor your input when shipping multiple units before generating your label. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I had a problem with buyer from Puerto Rico in the past - March 2023 (you probably saw my thread and it did have a lot of posts), it was a repeat buyer who I had sold to several times over the years so wasn't sure why it suddenly was behaving strangely but as others have said in order to use Tracked Package USA you have to have USA as the country.

I know mine ended up printing fine but it said Puerto Rico USA. My buyer was getting a "seller doesn't ship to your location" message so she reached out to me but she still managed to buy and I still managed to print the label. I believe I was using Shippo at that time however, it is easy to edit an address with them but on the sample you show here under the address itself it looks like it has "Edit" have you tried to click that and edit the address there on the link you show?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@38e_avenue wrote:

@38e_avenue 

@byto253 

@specstorm1 

Were you using eBay Labels? This issue cropped up in the past with shippo. The country wasn't properly porting to their system. You could manually update with Shippo and label generated no problem and got billed correctly. It was fixed after a few reports of this issue.

I used ChitChats. There will be always problem with US overseas, because there are no such countries like "Guam" or "Puerto Rico" so basically every postal system will reject the order. In very old times I had a dispute at the CP counter - my package was initially rejected by the clerk, because I put the city only, and "forgot" to add the country. Well, the city in question was .... Singapore 😄  

I have here (MTL) some additional problems - the CP terminals are set up to work in French. "I don't know, what to do - United Kingdom - no such country on the list"., "Sure, let us try "Royaume-Uni"... 😄

It often suprises me, that the people working there have no clue about basic geography. I understand someone never heard about "Reunion" (shipped 20-30 packages there), but recently they asked me about Latvia and Malta! Seriously?  😃

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I have not had a PR shipment for a couple of years.  For that one I went to an counter outlet that was not the usual and the idjit wanted to charge international, so I went to my normal counter spot with an amazing manager and no problem.   With the US zip code, it should not be a problem!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

HR codes are being introduced /demanded gradually.

If you use certain codes fairly often, eg Books or Toys keep a list of the appropriate ones rather than constantly looking them up.

Boks are 4901.99 , Plastic Toys 9503.00

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

I have not had a PR shipment for a couple of years.  For that one I went to an counter outlet that was not the usual and the idjit wanted to charge international, so I went to my normal counter spot with an amazing manager and no problem.   With the US zip code, it should not be a problem!

In my own over-the-counter experience that has always been the trick @byto253 . When shipping a tracked packet to Puerto Rico, you want gently remind postal staff to select the 'US' or 'USA' address with Zipcode, not the equivalent address with 'PR' as country code.

Last I checked, both addresses are still valid. And both will work. However, because Puerto Rico remains an unincorporated territory / protectorate of the United States, its US / USA address with Zipcode will direct your package through the American postal system like any other Tracked Packet, including all applicable discounts; whereas the latter will treat it as an International Tracked Packet with rates comparable to overseas destinations.

As you've already discovered, B-I-G difference in cost.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply