Cancelled Orders Impacting My Selling Limit

Hi I am a new seller on Ebay since early December 2022. I have a 10 item selling limit like all new sellers. I have had 3 cancellations and 3 sales happen on me so far. Unfortunately these 3 cancelations count towards my  selling limits and I can only list 4 items for sale now instead of 7 eventhough I haven't technically sold the 3 cancelled items. 

All 3 cancelations 2 buyers bought my items didn't pay and tried to pull the old text me at this number to discuss payments and shipping scam. I  have since edited all my listings to pay now imediately and blocked the relevent buyers. 

From my perspective its seems unfair that 2 buyers can take 3 of my 10 listings with their canceled orders preventing me from listing other items that I have to sell. Obviously Ebay won't raise my limits because I am a new seller but at least they should allow me to list 7 items for sale instead of 4. 

Is there anything I can do? 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I figured it out. I chatted up the nice AI lady  chatbot at Ebay customer service explaining how great I'm doing selling and future plans and asking for  limit increase. " She" graciously raised my limits to 100 items or $7000. Literally took 5min.  

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

unfortunately no, there is nothing you can do at this point.

Every 30 days you can request an increase in selling limits.

You have already taken steps to improve the potential for genuine buyers and reduce the ability for potential  scammers who prey on new sellers. The key for new sellers to eBay is time and PATIENCE! Best wishes and good luck in your selling going forward!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I was about to say something similar to what @mrdutch1001 replied, but I have a question.

You say 3 cancelations, did you select "Buyer has not paid as the reason" for cancellations in each case, if not what reasons did you select from the list?

Might give a bit more insight... 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

First buyer was quite polite as he was trying scam me and told me to just cancel the order if icouldn't chat through text message. So thats what I did, selected option 2 "buyer requested cancelation."  

Second buyer gave me a fake address cuz it was a Amazon fulfillment centre in Ontario. So I selected option 3 "problem with address." 

I will just have to wait it out like y'all suggested. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Regardless of the reason used, they would still count as part of the seller's listing limit.

For the seller to use buyer didn't pay, they would have to wait four full days. Considering that the seller already knows that the buyer is a scammer and is not going to pay and that this type of buyer is continually starting new ID's, it would seem pointless to wait those 4 days.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

...I suspect that if you wait the four days, and then use "Buyer did not pay" the sale would not be held against the account. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Maybe, but I've never hear of that actually happening before.  The op used the term selling limit but I think the limit is based on how many items they can list, not how many they can sell.

When a sale is cancelled as an unpaid item a seller does not get a 'free' listing credit and if they paid a listing fee they don't get their money back.  So I doubt that it would count as a credit as far as listing limits go.  I'm just guessing of course but afaik, all cancelled sales are treated the same way in that regard.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

yes that is basiclly the way it goes...when I returned to selling on eBay after a 6+ month absence and had to sign up for Managed Payments,etc I  was ushered in same as for new sellers, with the listing limits/selling limits/payment holds and all that..including the listing limit of 10 items, and that 10 is the TOTAL of items listed and thus includes any items sold,etc. so when that total reaches 10, one has to wait until the next month to list additional items.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy Kwanzaa.

If you are back, do Unpaid Cancellations count against new seller limits? Do they only count if four days have not passed?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

From my understanding my selling limit is active listings + Sold items + cancelled items for any reason cannot exceed 10 items which is a shame. 

Ah well lesson learned.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

There's usually a dollar limit too.

So if you have a 10 listings and/or $1000,  you could list 10 $100 items or one $1000 item or 10 $10 items.

And the value for Auctions is based on the opening price. So if you open an Auction at $10 but it sells for $10,000 (hah!) you still would have nine listings and /or $990 value available to you.

At least, that is my understanding.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I figured it out. I chatted up the nice AI lady  chatbot at Ebay customer service explaining how great I'm doing selling and future plans and asking for  limit increase. " She" graciously raised my limits to 100 items or $7000. Literally took 5min.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

i feel your pain  thats the way it is at ebay punish everyone equally - even if you make one or two mistakes  just starting  out --- punish punish punish is their motto- i have over 2000 listings and  6 hicups over the last year and still being punished for them- so i feel what you have no control over -- it will get better but ever so slowly -- they must get their pound of flesh some how- keep at it and try to get them to reverse those black dots against you -- its time comsuming i know but as others have pointed out here  many times - sometimes they pull up on the boot to your throat-- good luck   

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

devon@ebay 

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy Kwanzaa.

If you are back, do Unpaid Cancellations count against new seller limits? Do they only count if four days have not passed?

Hi @reallynicestamps! Thank you and I did enjoy my holidays and I hope you did as well! For unpaid items they do count against seller limits but in cases where this happens, sellers can reach out to customer support here and have their limits from the sale put back. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply