Cant take Pay Pal Payments?????

Anyone know much about this. I received notice to change my way of receiving payments. Is this something I have to do?? How am I going to Print labels if payment is no longer through Pay Pal? Not good.

eBay now manages the end-to-end selling experience on our marketplace, including payments.

This means:

• No more PayPal payment processing fees

• You get paid directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account

• Most sellers will pay the same or less than before*

Update your account details. It’s that simple.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Cant take Pay Pal Payments?????

That's the invitation/demand to sign up for Managed Payments.

I've been avoiding doing that since August. Fingers and toes crossed.

The fees are about the same- a penny saved a penny lost.

The fees are taken off immediately, not monthly, which may make your bookkeeping a little more complicated.

Your payments are sent to your (Canadian only) bank account (single - you can't attach multiple accounts)  regularly, not when you decide you want to do it.

You can't use your MP balance to buy on eBay. (This is a very weird one. My guess is that sellers don't buy as much on eBay as they think they do, not enough to make it easy to use payments for the purpose, anyway. )

Not enough sellers are enrolled for us to hear about any problems with customers. As in, how do they handle refunds ?

As for the PP shipping labels, eBay has made Shippo the default shipper for some time now, which annoys me.  But although it is different, it's not necessarily worse.

Managed Payments adds ApplePay and GooglePay to the ways our customers can pay us, while keeping all the same credit cards and , surprisingly, Paypal.

So we can use PP to buy on eBay but can't use it to get paid.

There are a metric tonne of posts about all this. Just Search "managed payments"  and read with a shaker of salt by your side.  People have OPINIONS!

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

When you say "fees are taken off immediately " are you referring to FVFs that normally are billed at the end of the month? If so, that sucks...I enjoy getting credit card points for those charges, at least...
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Shippo is only a option. I am still using Pay Pal shipping labels.

I hope we dont have to switch. Pay Pal is just fine. Obviously this is just another way for Ebay to make more money. What's new.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

are you referring to FVFs that normally are billed at the end of the month?

Yes, that's my understanding.

Shippo is only a option. I am still using Pay Pal shipping labels.

You are already in MP?  Thank you for the information. I'm avoiding MP because of the banking end. I ship with stamps, so labels are not a worry.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I just hope that when they "force" us to change the shipping label problem is solved.

I am not able to use Shippo. I think i made 2-3 shippo labels but it was a war each time with customer service. The 4th label i was unable to do, something about my address not being valid as if i don't know where i live.

This was month (years?) ago after they "forced" us to use Shippo. I found the runaround by going to my paypal account and printing them there.

I have been gone from ebay because of all these changes that make things harder to do.

I have just come back this month to re-start selling like i used to, and here i find they want to make more backward changes.

I guess if they do not want me here i will leave again.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I have been receiving those "update account" notices for awhile now, the first notice arrived by email about a month ago. It's been the same deal each week since, been receiving an email followed up by ebay message once a week. So far there's been no mention of any sign up deadline so I've been ignoring the request .... your mileage may vary.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

So far only us constant sellers are being 'encouraged' to join. So you, as a returning /occasional seller,  can comfortably go back to selling using PP for payment processing and label buying for the next couple of ... years likely.

The biggest problem with the rollout has been that sellers have to sign up before they learn all the details of Managed Payments, which is counter-productive in a society that over the past four years has been trained to look for conspiracies and fraud behind every curtain.

From what I have read the differences are minor in terms of costs.

That the program does not allow the seller to build up a balance over weeks and months is strange, but since that balance can't be used to buy anything* having the balance deposited to the single bank account either daily or weekly (seller's choice) is not as dumb as it sounds.

I don't quite understand the shipping label thing, since I rarely use those anyway and buy them at the PO counter when I must.  Can a seller use her MP balance to buy a Paypal label?

BTW, if you haven't already found it, when the bell icon tells you that you have a sale, it will send you to Shippo to make your label.

It's a default, but not a requirement.

If instead you go to My EBay-> Selling-> Orders  you can print your label using Paypal or SnapShip from there. 
Or more simply,  print it from the PP payment, which also confirms that the money really has been received.

And I will once again object that MP only allows us to attach one bank account, which must be Canadian and in Canadian dollars.  With Paypal, I put most of my US payments into an American bank account, skipping at least one set of currency exchange fees.

*Unlike Paypal which is widely enough used that I have purchased theatre tickets, convention fees, clothing, and kitchen appliances online using it.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Oh, it's not that simple. There's a lot eBay isn't telling you in those happy new payment program emails...

Here's the down-low from someone who's recently enrolled in the poorly thought out Managed Payments program.

1) As a seller, you can't get paid to your Paypal account anymore. Yep, after years of eBay and Paypal working seamlessly, eBay won't let you select Paypal as a payout option, or give you the choice. All funds will now go to your bank account. I've called eBay and tried to get it switched back to the old program, and was told it wasn't possible.

2) Under MP, the funds you're paid as a seller aren't available for use right away. All funds are held for about 2 days before a scheduled payout to your bank is made. You can't use these pending funds to buy anything, buy postage, or checkout purchases on eBay - it merely sits in limbo until payout to your bank. With Paypal, you could use the funds instantly for things like buying other items or paying for postage. Going through Shippo (like eBay advises), it pulled money from my own bank account to pay for the shipping,  while I'm still waiting for the pending payout from eBay (those pending payout funds don't appear to be usable to pay for shipping labels generated in Shippo). Buuuuuut according to eBay, when the funds show up as "pending" they say it's time to ship. Horribly thought out system.

3) You can't generate labels under Paypal anymore, since Paypal isn't used to get paid, eBay won't send the payment recepts to it - you have to go through Shippo or another avenue.

4) All your funds go to your Canadian bank account, which means if you get paid in USD, sell in USD on .com, and/or like to hold USD, you're s--- out of luck. Anything you sell in USD gets changed to CAD when sent to your bank, and if you want to buy something in USD you'll get shafted TWICE for the currency exchange back to USD. I've called eBay customer service to ask/complain about this (as I buy/sell a lot on the .com site, and like to have USD available), and they have no solution to this. Unreal.

5) If you sell to the US or do international sales, when you do your first sale, eBay will prompt you to update/send them some ID: either your driver's license or passport number to validate before they will set up the payments. Yes, I got the email, and yes it was legit (not spam/phishing).

6) I've got bad news for everyone: I called customer service asking to be changed back to using Paypal to receive payments, and they made it clear for me THERE'S NO GOING BACK after you switch. eBay is "going forward with this" and they're converting people in waves, with the goal to have most people activated under the MP system in 2021. When I brought up all the issues I had with MP, I was basically told in no uncertain terms that that's how it's going to be going forward, you're going to have to deal with it.

IMHO, this is a p*ss poorly thought out system that disrespects years of seller loyalty by not offering Paypal as an option for payouts, but gladly accepting Paypal as payments. Non-instantanious payment (compared to instant Paypal payment before) and the fact that I have to wait for the money to be available to purchase shipping labels (or pay from my own pocket and wait for the pending funds to go through in a few days) is supposed to be somehow a better seller experience?!?! And while it might be a non-issue for many, it doesn't account for Canadian sellers who buy/sell in US and like to keep some on hand for .com purchases, to avoid getting dinged TWICE by currency conversions.

Unbelievable they could roll out something this poorly thought out, and cut Paypal out of the payment method on top of that.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I'm not going to justify how they are handling MP...just making a couple of comments for your information.

3) You can't generate labels under Paypal anymore, since Paypal isn't used to get paid, eBay won't send the payment recepts to it - you have to go through Shippo.

You can still use Paypal to generate labels however as you know, you would have to have your own funds there since the buyers payment won't be there. You would also have to enter the buyer's info.  If you want to try it you have go to a separate part of paypal so sign into: www.paypal.com/shipnow

They are also rolling out a way for Canadians to print labels directly through ebay so that the label can be paid from pending funds.  At least one Canadian seller has been switched to it although I believe there are still some problems with it.

4) All your funds go to your Canadian bank account, which means if you get paid in USD and/or like to hold USD, you're s--- out of luck. Anything you sell in USD gets changed to CAD when sent to your bank, and if you want to buy something in USD you'll get shafted TWICE for the currency exchange back to USD. I've called eBay customer service to ask/complain about this, and they have no solution to this.

Although I'm not yet in MP and not looking forward to it, I do understand why they would switch and why it has to be an all or nothing situation.   I don't agree with the way they are rolling it out or the lack of information ahead of time.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

1) As a seller, you can't get paid to your Paypal account anymore.

To be scrupulously fair, with a PP account, you can't to my knowledge get paid to another processor, or directly to a bank or credit card , either. So that's a change of destination, but not a change of situation.

4) All your funds go to your Canadian bank account,

This is my biggest objection. Canadian sellers get most of our sales from the USA. In my case, although US sales dropped with COVID, they still make up nearly 80% of my sales.

Only allowing one bank account and one currency may not be illegal, but it is constraining. 

eBay will prompt you to update/send them some ID: either your driver's license or passport number to validate

I heard it was our SIN number and it was quickly confirmed by tyler@ebay  that we were NOT required to supply that.

I'd have a problem with driver license, since I've never had one, and my passport has expired. The Hydro bill is in my name, wonder if they'd accept that?

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

1) As a seller, you can't get paid to your Paypal account anymore.

To be scrupulously fair, with a PP account, you can't to my knowledge get paid to another processor, or directly to a bank or credit card , either. So that's a change of destination, but not a change of situation.

4) All your funds go to your Canadian bank account,

This is my biggest objection. Canadian sellers get most of our sales from the USA. In my case, although US sales dropped with COVID, they still make up nearly 80% of my sales.

Only allowing one bank account and one currency may not be illegal, but it is constraining. 

eBay will prompt you to update/send them some ID: either your driver's license or passport number to validate

I heard it was our SIN number and it was quickly confirmed by tyler@ebay  that we were NOT required to supply that.

I'd have a problem with driver license, since I've never had one, and my passport has expired. The Hydro bill is in my name, wonder if they'd accept that?

Hi @reallynicestamps - correct, providing your SIN is entirely optional. The onboarding process for managed payments does require that we can verify your identity, so I've heard of requests for drivers licenses in the past if we're unable to do so. 

However, I'm very limited in what questions I can or can't answer when it comes to payments, so if there are further questions they're best addressed by a payments teammate. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

E bay assured me that i could keep my E-Bay account. you have to call and let them know

you want to keep the account 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

in my eyes the changes made are for the buyer only and a tonne of things taken away from the seller. i can tell you you are not the only one is searching for a new site to sell our products.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@vtwinparts2015 

Do you mean Paypal?

And eBay can't and won't stop you from using your PP account to buy, the problem is that once in the MP program you can no longer accept payments with your PP account.

Buyers can use PP, credit cards, debit cards, and not available with PP GooglePay and ApplePay.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

The new system only benefits buyers in a small way.  As far as I know the change was made  as another way of increasing ebay's revenue.   Rather than Paypal receiving all of the  payment processing money, ebay is now able to profit from it.  I know that I'm always open to more profit so I can't blame ebay for wanting that too.

I'm not that familiar with other selling sites but unless your buyers are paying in cash, I think that most sites use a payment processor similar to the one ebay is using so there usually is a time lag between being paid and receiving the money.  However,  I'm sure that there are ways that ebay could have set up the procedure that would be more seller friendly and hopefully we will see some of those changes in the future.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Time lag is one way to put it...you get paid, have to wait two days for eBay to process it, then have to wait until the scheduled payout (if you have it set to daily, it waits until something like 8am EST the next day), then you have to wait for you bank to process it, however long that takes (I was paid for something on Friday, I'm now at the stage where I 'm waiting for the bank to process the funds into my account - probably another 2-5 business days, it doesn't appear to be instantaneous). If it had been Paypal, I'd have had the funds in my account the instant the item was paid for, and been able to pay for the postage, or buy something else on eBay with (which I will be SEVERELY cutting back on now, since they want to make me jump through all these hoops to get paid, and force all my USD sales dollars received into CAD when I buy mostly USD items. If they're going to deposit them all straight into my bank account instead of Paypal, I might as well buy the items I want off Amazon).

I usually pay around $7.30 to Canada Post for a small packette postage going to the US. If I get 6-7 sales on a weekend, I can't use any of those funds to pay for postage on Paypal or Shippo, so I'm paying $40-50 of my own money, while the funds I'm actually paid to cover S&H are tied up and I'm waiting for eBay and the bank to both process them. And that's not to mention other sellers who ship larger items who need to cover larger postal amounts. It was MUCH MUCH easier as a seller selling under Paypal than Managed Payments.

What a convoluted, poorly though out and poorly implemented system.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply