Case opened on 46th day

A buyer opened an ebay case against me for item not received on the 46th day. I thought it has always been a 45 day policy. Did I miss an update?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Case opened on 46th day

See post #25 for a reply from eBay:

http://community.ebay.ca/topic/Weekly-Board-Hour/June-12th-Weekly/3000009788?start=20&ts=1371059205426#msg3000062891

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I would call customer support, odd that a customer would wait that look open a  case but it may depend where they live.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I had something similar a few weeks back. I thought about it overnight, came back, it was gone. Removed by buyer or something to that effect. You should have a "respond by" date. Hold off and see what happens.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. It happened shortly after they started opening a case when a buyer just meant to ask a question. So am I am wondering if ebay has changed its rule but Paypal is staying the same??

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Or...Is it possible that although it is the 46th day to you...it wasn't yet 45 days to the exact hour?

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

"on the 46th day"

It is 45 full days from the time of payment, not time of purchase on eBay.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Time paid: April 22 at 8:59am
Case opened: June 7 at 8:26pm

Difference: 46 days, 11 hours, 27 minutes

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Remember Gang, Pierre remembers, a few years back when a buyer was allowed to open & win a case against me well past the forty five day limit for non delivery.

Seems they were a relatively New eBay member & eBay did want this Buyer jaded from this buying experience. 

Luckily Canada Post refunded me the amount in full.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

If 46 days after they'd paid for their item, a buyer communicated directly to you that they hadn't received their item and there was no proof that they had received it, wouldn't you return their money?  I know I likely would.

Just out of curiosity, Soshi, where's your buyer located?

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Buyer is from Singapore. She bought two items from me with a week or so between each other. The 2nd item arrived but the first didn't. 

bb_cool_stuff: Buyer is not a new ebayer

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Singapore is on the other side on the International Date Line. That might have an effect on timing. Sounds like they may have waited for delivery until the last possible second.

How much money are we talking about?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

better then me a just had one opened from a US buyer today after 10 buisness days .. 8 if your subtract the 2 business days it takes to ship...

so close to cutting my sales by 10% and stopping US buyers either that i will only ship with tracking which will elimiate us sales but still give me the exposure...

Buyer says i order 3 orders all have arrived already ..

I said I will take good care of you 1 way or another but will not do anything now as it has only been in transit for 8 business days and there is no reason to worry yet .,..

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

There was a post a few weeks ago by a pink (eBay staff) on their Wednesday "hour" confirming that at times buyers may be allowed to file a claim past the 45 day usual deadline.

The decision to accept a claim after the deadline seems to be left to the discretion of the agent or supervisor (eBay or PayPal) handling the claim.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

Meaning the rules are for some and not others. Very unfair!!!!!!!

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Singapore is on the other side on the International Date Line. That might have an effect on timing. Sounds like they may have waited for delivery until the last possible second

Really?  would not matter where you lived! the hours are different BUT if it has been 46 day 11 hours for the seller it would still be 46 day 11 hours for the buyer---different time of day but no matter where you live there is always 24 hours in a day !

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Buyer is from Singapore. She bought two items from me with a week or so between each other. The 2nd item arrived but the first didn't. 

Singapore isn't regarded as a high-fraud destination and you say that one of the buyer's items arrived.  So my question is still open:  If it were strictly up to you and eBay or PayPal weren't intervening, would you give this buyer a refund?

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Can you prove delivery? That would mean you shipped by ExpressPost Interational or the new Tracked International service.

At a cost of over $40.

If you did not use an Air Mail service, the parcel really has not arrived and the customer is right to be annoyed/worried.

If you did neither there is no point in fighting, just refund before PP does it for you. Politely ask the customer to refund the refund when the item arrives. There is a good chance that she actually will.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

See post #25 for a reply from eBay:

http://community.ebay.ca/topic/Weekly-Board-Hour/June-12th-Weekly/3000009788?start=20&ts=1371059205426#msg3000062891

Message 18 of 18
latest reply