China mail delivery?

I shipped a package untracked to China on 1 Feb a few days before start of delays in postal service because of coronavirus. Buyer has just asked about not yet receiving it. I asked him to wait a bit longer.

Does anyone else have this same problem?  Any suggestions on how long I should wait before refund? What is happening to packages like mine already in China? Thanks for your ideas.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

China mail delivery?

If you sent it Air Mail, it would have arrived during the Lunar New Year.

This year because of the Corvid-19 quarantines, the New Year holiday, which normally brings China to a halt anyway for a good week, was extended to Feb 9.

In addition, many businesses and government services are working with reduced staff, particularly in those areas under quarantine.

That being said, we all take a chance when shipping without tracking. And tracking overseas is expensive. I have a post about a 64gr package I just sent that cost $78!! For a $100 item!

Be aware that if your Chinese customer opens a Not Received Dispute, you will be required to refund him, since you cannot prove delivery.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

China mail delivery?

Any suggestions on how long I should wait before refund?

Soothe him with the information above.

Do not refund until he opens a Dispute.

Then refund promptly.

This puts his Dispute on eBay's records, in case he is a serial Disputer.

If you can't afford to ship to China (or overseas) with tracking and this has been a problem, you can Block any country you want to.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

China mail delivery?

Curious for those that either purchase from China or ship to China if eBay has adjusted timelines until further notice? Delays will be occurring and difficult to predict when and where or for how long. Case by case basis would be time consuming to address.

tyler@ebay 

-Lotz

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

China mail delivery?

I have a lost package to Italy today, mailed back on January 10. Not sure how affected they are or whether it has anything to do with it being slow to be delivered either. 

I'm a thinkin those of us shipping around the world are going to have a long few months.....and more expensive for us untrackable folks.....

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

China mail delivery?

@ricarmic 

The joys of untracked mail. The so many things that could or possibly can go wrong...Including "It took so long so I think I would like it for free choice. Buyer "Yayyyy me!!!"

I had a low value sale to a new buyer earlier this am...Netherland. Shipping options 12.00 Intl Air or 43 Tracked. First to wait and see if they pay. Followed by which service they choose.  Pretty sure it's going to be option A. And that's not even a lucky guess!!! I rarely have anything listed that could go letter rate. Bare minimum is Intl Air Small Pkt and from past experience they are 10 to 15 days to most of Europe/Australia. Having Tracked as a first option just hides you even lower in search results.

-Lotz

PS. I used Innt Surface years ago. When I realized it could take up to 6 to 8 weeks I switched to the air option. Have you ever seen a pattern for shipping Internationally by letter?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

China mail delivery?

This buyer has purchased from me successfully before, although this is a much larger parcel (1st time $15, this time 3 items $80). Time will tell.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

China mail delivery?

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Curious for those that either purchase from China or ship to China if eBay has adjusted timelines until further notice? Delays will be occurring and difficult to predict when and where or for how long. Case by case basis would be time consuming to address.

tyler@ebay 

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - yes, we have been adjusting the estimated delivery dates for items bought from or shipped to China. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

China mail delivery?

Just to let you know that the  untracked package I sent 31 Jan to China has just arrived. Seems delay was about 2 weeks but mail delivery continues although I would not like to ship to China these days.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

China mail delivery?

@realjazz-123 wrote:

Just to let you know that the  untracked package I sent 31 Jan to China has just arrived. Seems delay was about 2 weeks but mail delivery continues although I would not like to ship to China these days.

Thanks for posting, I sent one just a day before yours (to Beijing), haven't heard from the buyer yet.

I send a few things to China, they always take at least 3+ weeks so I'm expecting things to be a bit slower now.

Also received a package from China on Friday which has been shipped on Jan 29th, pretty much the regular delivery speed.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

China mail delivery?

Update to my previous post.......

The package sent (ChitChats untracked) January 31st, buyer left feedback today so all is good and the delivery time is just a couple of days slower than "normal" (maybe not since Feb has only 29 days).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

China mail delivery?

We shipped a air package to the Netherlands and Estonia on Feb5th and had a message from the person in Netherlands yesterday that they haven't received package yet..haven't heard from customer in Estonia yet....funny how some places can take like a month or something and yet I've sent numerous things to the UK and it's only taken like a week..
Message 12 of 12
latest reply