Chit Chat express is it worth it?

Chit Chat has come to BC.  The drive for me is 30 km each way.  I'm just wondering how sellers who have been using this service like it and is it worth it.  How does it work.  Do you take the item there and wrap it?  Do you fill out the forms there?  

Any advice would be appreciated?

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

@rainbow71113 wrote:

Something else that cc offers which I have not yet tried is sending Canadian lettermail through the USPS system, one advantage is that some rates are tracked.  The disadvantage is that you have to remember to mark it coming from and going to Canada and hope that the buyer doesn't get charged any duty.  I would probably use this when I have something to ship that is thicker than 2 cm but relatively cheap so that the buyer doesn't have to pay expedited rates.  For instance a thick book worth $10 going to Ontario.  I tried one around 13 oz and it would be $5.83US  whereas through Canada Post it would be $11.25-that's about $4.00 cheaper than going through Canada Post- now I don't think this price was tracked but still it would save the buyer a couple of dollars after I include cc fees. 

I think you are mistaken, $5.83 is the price for Large Envelopes / Flats which have similar size restrictions as Canada Post domestic Lettermail. A 13oz First Class PACKAGE from the US to Canada has a retail price of US$15.50.

What you are describing DID work up until about 5 years ago and really worked 15 years ago but no longer.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 21 of 50
latest reply

sorry, you are right it was the envelope but the next package rate is showing $8.88 not the rate you mentioned

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

No idea where you are seeing $8.88 there is no rate of that amount for any USPS service for any class of mail or destination domestic or International.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/Notice123.pdf

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 23 of 50
latest reply

I see it as first class mail international package to Ontario- are you looking at cc's site because they do get cheaper rates than regular usps customers on some categories. 

go to this link

http://chitchatsexpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/CCE-Rate-Card-2016-Ontario-Rev-4.02ON.pdf

and down under international where it says weight in red on the left side- zone 1 -16 oz shows $8.88 to Canada

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

I see it as first class mail international package to Ontario- are you looking at cc's site because they do get cheaper rates than regular usps customers on some categories. 

go to this link

http://chitchatsexpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/CCE-Rate-Card-2016-Ontario-Rev-4.02ON.pdf

and down under international where it says weight in red on the left side- zone 1 -16 oz shows $8.88 to Canada

Ah yes, USPS Commercial Base rates for First Class International Packages do offer some good discounts (you can get pretty much the same discount using eBay/PayPal or Stamps (not the free account).

Still when you take US$8.88 + the CC fee there really isn't any saving and there is additional delivery time.

Years ago I used to do what you were describing but back then the retail rate for a 1lb First Class Package to Canada was only $5.25 and when the CAD was +/- par is was a reasonable (albeit slower) option to ship say from Ontario to Vancouver or northern Canada.. Today the savings are pennies so it's not really viable.

What is too bad is that CC's International service (I think it's through B-Post these days) will apparently not ship items back to Canada, that would be cheap especially for really light weight packages over the 2cm CP limit for Lettermail.

Lots of tricks out there and always has been, I know someone who back in the 80's were mass mailing catalogues within Canada, They were printing them in Mexico, trucking them to Panama where they would get on a plane back to Canada and Canada Post would have to handle them as First Class mail under the UPU agreement.

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

I'm actually more concerned about my buyers getting dinged for duty and then getting a negative saying "seller is in Canada, why am I paying duty" 

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

I'm actually more concerned about my buyers getting dinged for duty and then getting a negative saying "seller is in Canada, why am I paying duty" 

Yeah that's a problem as well of course you can make sure that doesn't happen by using an appropriate declared value or if you are registered for GST in Canada indicating properly that the taxes have already been billed to the recipient.

Message 27 of 50
latest reply

Americans can import up to $800USD (~$1000CDN+) before duty kicks in.

And they don't have a federal sales tax like the GST or VAT.

European duty free maximums are more like our $20.

Message 28 of 50
latest reply

ah, I didn't know you could do that...but I don't think there's anywhere on stamps.com to put notation like that....one day I'll have to look into it further if I run across something that qualifies.  I tend to stay away from listing things that need to go expedited.

and "really" we are talking about sending a package from Canada back into Canada using USPS, that's why the discussion about duty since Canadians don't have as high a threshold before being charged duty.

Message 29 of 50
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

ah, I didn't know you could do that...but I don't think there's anywhere on stamps.com to put notation like that....one day I'll have to look into it further if I run across something that qualifies.  I tend to stay away from listing things that need to go expedited.

and "really" we are talking about sending a package from Canada back into Canada using USPS, that's why the discussion about duty since Canadians don't have as high a threshold before being charged duty.

Yeah it's not really something worth bothering with anymore. Even 10 years ago when it did work there was only a tiny sweet spot where the small reduction in cost was worth the potential delays and customs issue. Now you would have to find just the right combo of weight & dimensions plus sending and receiving locations to make it viable. When I was doing it the "sweet spot:" was still small but you could at least generalize that anything "x" going further in Canada than "y" would be cheaper. Today it's much like finding the sweet spot that makes Small Packet cheaper than Light Packet.

The two things that really did this in was first the big increases in USPS rates and then recently the elimination of  the many weight breaks and moving to 1 - 8oz, 9 - 16oz etc instead of the old 4oz breaks.

As far as the customs thing, even if you make a notation on the customs form and include an invoice with the GST info on the outside of the package there is still a risk that customs will incorrectly assess taxes. While buyers can get a refund on this most would be very upset and in many cases refuse the shipment.....that would be really ugly for you and simply not worth the effort. The only feasible thing is to undervalue and even that is risky if you are shipping items which are clearly over the maximum free limit.

Years ago I was using USPS to ship overseas, back then there were a couple of weight points were it was actually cheaper to use Canada Post. In the shipping business there are always a few "tricks" or inconsistencies that can make for exceptions, I appreciate those who can figure out these "glitches" and use them to their advantage. Unfortunately the one you are considering doesn't provide enough of an advantage anymore to be viable unless you were shipping high volumes of packages which fit the mold and of course it's not the 1990's where extended delivery times where accepted by buyers as "normal".

Message 30 of 50
latest reply

I forgot it would have to also clear Canadian customs, yes, that would add delivery time as well.  Doesn't look like that's going to be a viable option, at least shipping expedited with CC is cheaper than with Canada Post- the last one I did was $5.00 cheaper.

Message 31 of 50
latest reply

In my fantasy world Canada Post creates a First Class Package service for items under 500 grams but more than 2cm in thickness.

Remember.....I said fantasy world!

In the real world they will probably just continue to lower the minimum weight/charge for Expedited from 750 grams to 500 grams and then to 250 grams and exclaim they have a provided such a service (or course the charges themselves won't go down).

Message 32 of 50
latest reply

@recped wrote:

In my fantasy world Canada Post creates a First Class Package service for items under 500 grams but more than 2cm in thickness.

I'd settle for having Small Packet Canada as a service. Flat rate, no insurance, originate scan but no online tracking, same weight categories as Small Packet USA. With cost rates between oversize lettermail and Expedited parcel.

-..-

Message 33 of 50
latest reply

here we go again, just got an update from canada post-

Based on options available to CUPW, we can expect a 72-hour strike notice to be issued by the union between now and August 25. This does not necessarily mean that there will be full-scale work disruption associated with the notice, as in a recent bulletin the union reiterated that they do not want to go on strike.

Message 34 of 50
latest reply

does anyone in the Richmond/Vancouver area know where the drop off locations are? thanks

Message 35 of 50
latest reply

There is one in North Burnaby, (pick up Mon, Wed and Fri 12:30) there may be others but you should drop off in Richmond first at their head office and get to know what you need to do.  You need to sign up with them first and get your stamps.com account.  

• All packages going to the US must contain an invoice.
  • I think you need to get a US address in Blaine, I have one so please email me and I can share the company name and you can sign up.  I use this address for pickup to.  It is fantastic.  
  • The US return address name from stamps.com must be the same as the manifest sheet.  For instance my address in the US starts with musicyouneed. 
  • You need to buy your postage and it must be dated the day after it is picked up. 
  • You must have a scan sheet from stamps.com printed
  • You must print out the manifest sheet from google.docs  
  • all must be in a bag, so it doesn't get mixed up
Message 36 of 50
latest reply

Hello again,

thanks for the info, I think Burnaby would still be too far for her to go.  I don't use a US address, I use Chit Chat's for return address.  Also I forgot then you would have to print out the shipping, they wouldn't be set up like Richmond is. 

Message 37 of 50
latest reply

well people just got this tonight- the rollercoaster saga continues

This letter is to inform you that the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) has provided Canada Post with 72-hour strike notices. This means the union will be in a legal position to commence strike action on August 28, 2016. Following that, they will be free to take further action to disrupt the postal service at any time without additional warning. Up until now, the union was required to provide advance notice of any disruptive job action. Unfortunately, as of August 28, 2016, that will no longer be the case. The union will not be required to provide any notice going forward.

As stated in our previous letter, this action by the union does not necessarily mean a full-scale strike will occur.

Message 38 of 50
latest reply

Nobody mentioned how much chit char charges.

Message 39 of 50
latest reply

You should contact them directly for their fee schedule.  It is not something that can be posted here on this board (against policy)

Message 40 of 50
latest reply