Coupons and Canadian sellers

devon@ebay 

So this morning I get a coupon for a seller I was recently reviewing their items. The seller is located in Canada but sells on dot com. I received the email approx 1 hour earlier but in gmail only. I click on 1 of the links and it tells me the offer is expired. (Unable to replicate.) In checking on the coupon specifics the following message.

Coupon use is limited to users with a U.S. registration address who are logged into their eBay account.

• The Coupon offer can end at any time and may end earlier than the promotion end date due to any number of reasons, including Coupon budget limitations. When the offer is no longer available, it will no longer appear on eBay.com.

Valid until: Sep 13, 2023 *Valid for *sellername*, only on eBay.???   Max. discount $3. 

No time specified.

This begs the question when will coupons be available for Canadian sellers and when will Canadian buyers have the same access to coupons to apply to their purchases. Majority of Canadian buyers and sellers are registered on dot ca only. Should be no real reason to register on dot com.

-Lotz

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Coupons and Canadian sellers

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

devon@ebay 

So this morning I get a coupon for a seller I was recently reviewing their items. The seller is located in Canada but sells on dot com. I received the email approx 1 hour earlier but in gmail only. I click on 1 of the links and it tells me the offer is expired. (Unable to replicate.) In checking on the coupon specifics the following message.

Coupon use is limited to users with a U.S. registration address who are logged into their eBay account.

• The Coupon offer can end at any time and may end earlier than the promotion end date due to any number of reasons, including Coupon budget limitations. When the offer is no longer available, it will no longer appear on eBay.com.

Valid until: Sep 13, 2023 *Valid for *sellername*, only on eBay.???   Max. discount $3. 

No time specified.

This begs the question when will coupons be available for Canadian sellers and when will Canadian buyers have the same access to coupons to apply to their purchases. Majority of Canadian buyers and sellers are registered on dot ca only. Should be no real reason to register on dot com.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I am not sure on the time-line for coupons for Canadian sellers and buyers. I can ask to see if there is insight that I can share on this! 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Any word on this?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@frugalbeaver wrote:

Any word on this?

devon@ebay  Do you have any follow up on this? My original discussion post was 4 months ago. Seems a bit unfair to have this kind of feature for millions of US sellers (available approx mid 2021?) but it to be not in play for Canadians in 2024.

Also, when coupons are in play can you clarify what total the FVF's are based on? Before or after coupon total?

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

devon@ebay 

"Coupon use is limited to users with a U.S. registration address who are logged into their eBay account.

This begs the question when will coupons be available for Canadian sellers and when will Canadian buyers have the same access to coupons to apply to their purchases. Majority of Canadian buyers and sellers are registered on dot ca only. "

Hi Lotz,

I have a different point of view and here's why;

I commend you for bringing coupon promotions to the forum but I want to give your order  for "French Fries" (or poutine to you Quebecers) a free upgrade to "The Full Meal Deal"  The Dot Com Promotions Manager. 

I prefer promos that involve increasing sales through combined orders such as "Buy 2 get one Free" or Buy 3 get Free shipping".  During my years as a B&M retailer having spent thousands of dollars on print media and mail out coupons they mostly resulted in selling items for less or no profit. The idea of a coupon is to sell something for less to increase trafic in your store. I'm not sure "virtual coupons" increase overall profit  for most eBay store owners because eBay smothers your store listings with adds from other competitors. 

Coupons, virtual or print media coupons offer an item at low or no profit to attract customers to your store. In a B& M store you don't have your competitors standing there in your store next to your coffee machine waiting for them. You have that problem on eBay.

eBay's process of pollinating your store with your competitor's. listings  turns marketting coupons into REDIRECTS . I prefer the other tools in dot com's "Promotion Manager" such as "SHIPPING DISCOUNTS and VOLUME PRICING DISCOUNTS".  These tools offer customers a discount only in your store. You can set the time limits. If you offer a discount on multiple items it's very unlikely any other seller can offer the same group of items to compete.

IT

See attached photo of the dot com Pr Manager features.

eBAY dot com promos.JPG

Along with @lotzofuniquegoodies  request 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

devon@ebay 

"Coupon use is limited to users with a U.S. registration address who are logged into their eBay account.

This begs the question when will coupons be available for Canadian sellers and when will Canadian buyers have the same access to coupons to apply to their purchases. Majority of Canadian buyers and sellers are registered on dot ca only. "

Hi Lotz,

I have a different point of view and here's why;

I commend you for bringing coupon promotions to the forum but I want to give your order  for "French Fries" (or poutine to you Quebecers) a free upgrade to "The Full Meal Deal"  The Dot Com Promotions Manager. 

I prefer promos that involve increasing sales through combined orders such as "Buy 2 get one Free" or Buy 3 get Free shipping".  During my years as a B&M retailer having spent thousands of dollars on print media and mailed coupons they mostly resulted in selling items for less profit. The idea of a coupon is to sell something for less and increase trafic in your store. I'm not sure "virtual coupons" increase overall profit  for most eBay store owners because eBay smothers your sotre listings with adds from other competitors. 

Coupons, virtual or print media coupons offer an item at low or no profit to attract customers to your store. In a B& M store you don't have your competitors waiting for them and next to your coffee machine.

eBay's process of pollinating your store with your competitor's. listings  turns marketting coupons into REDIRECTS . I prefer the other tools in dot com's "Promotion Manager" such as "SHIPPING DISCOUNTS and VOLUME PRICING DISCOUNTS".  These tools offer customers a discount only in your store. You can set the time limits. If you offer a discount on multiple items it's very unlikely any other seller can offer the same group of items to compete.

IT

See attached photo of the dot com Pr Manager features.

eBAY dot com promos.JPG

Along with @lotzofuniquegoodies  request 

@intimewithmusic 

I personally am not sure if I would ever use coupons. I just know Canadian sellers have asked for that option for ages. eBay talks about a level playing field but when features get added to dot com but not to ca that doesn't help the overall situation. From recent repeat experiences most features when they do finally arrive at ca are either are not fully tested or stripped down in comparison to the US so just making them another hurdle against Canadians.

I've tested "sales" with veryyyy limited sucess. I know for other sellers they work great. May really depend  on a sellers inventory. Promoting gets a bit of attention at the beginning they tends to dry up. The other day actually had a piece of  eBay ad mail show up in my personal gmail account....for 1 of my own items. Just had to check to confirm and it was.  Imagining when/if it does sell it will sell as a promoted listing.😏

-Lotz

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I agree that what worked in prior years/months doesn't now. One of the pushes eBay has made of late is to discourage longtail items. I think if Canada had access to the PMnger features it would help us do that. 

Besides the combined shipping challenges my only resort to sell my items of low value is to LOT them up.  Because I can't do a "buy 1 get 1 free"  I list a lot of Lots Lotz.  Sounds like Mambo #5...

"One, two, three-four-five.  Boom bap, ba-boom-boom bap.. 

If you buy one you get one free.  Boom bap, ba-boom-boom bap! 

A little bit of Elvis in my life,

a little bit of Orbison by my side. Boom bap, ba-boom-boom bap,

Lots! Lotz! I lista lotta lots! Boom bap ba-boom-boom bap"

oops ...you know what I mean.. ;>} 

There is nothing in the listing form to  accomodate listing lots. The new photo quantity helps but when it comes to Item Specifics things get challenging. Sometimes a lot can consist of more than one category.  eBay's music memorabilia categories are a dog's breakfast. . Sometimes we can categorize by artist but when there is no artist category you scramble. 

I have hundreds of long tail record albums with a value under $10 ea. I don't mind listing them seperately.  I have an "assembly line" for that but it's not worth selling and shipping them seperately.  Lotting music media doesn't work because you can't predict which 2 or 3 items a collector wants. As well they want to know specific details about condition, pressings, etc.  I enjoy the process of offering that and grading them  because it takes me back but they have to go out 2 or 3 at a time. 

If I could offer individual listings with a Buy 2 get 1 Free promotion $10 sales would become a $20 sales with 3 items of the customer's choice going out in one box.  In my mind this would speed up turnover.  I think asking for the promo tools will be faster than asking for a new listing format. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Due to popular request here are the Lyrics to "Promotional Mambo #5"

"One, two, three-four-five.

Boom bap, ba-boom-boom bap....

A little bit of Beatles all I got,
A little bit of Tina's all you need
If ya buy two get one free. ..
Buy 6 for free Shippeeng

Boom bap, ba-boom-boom bap ...

A little bit of Elvis in your life,
A little bit of Orbison by your side.

Boom bap ba-boom-boom bap...
      Boom bap ba-boom-boom bap...

Cue 20 minute drum solo to the tune of "In a Gadda Da- veBay"...

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The lack of promotional marketing features available to Canadian sellers is very frustrating. 

Coupons and volume discounts would be huge for certain categories like media or sports cards. 

The reality of selling items on eBay that are common is that outside of extremely isolated cases, you're not going to build up repeat loyal customers. It's just the way eBay is set up, unless you sell something very niche or unique, buyers are unlikely to deliberately find you for repeat purchases. They will go whatever 'best match' listing comes up first. 

With that said, the point of coupons and volume discounts would be to increase the odds that a person who will never buy from you again would at least buy multiple units in one transaction, or would come back that one time to burn their coupon on additional units. 

It seems like a no-brainer. More value for the customers, and more units sold per transaction for eBay sellers. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

The lack of promotional marketing features available to Canadian sellers is very frustrating. 

Coupons and volume discounts would be huge for certain categories like media or sports cards. 

The reality of selling items on eBay that are common is that outside of extremely isolated cases, you're not going to build up repeat loyal customers. It's just the way eBay is set up, unless you sell something very niche or unique, buyers are unlikely to deliberately find you for repeat purchases. They will go whatever 'best match' listing comes up first. 

With that said, the point of coupons and volume discounts would be to increase the odds that a person who will never buy from you again would at least buy multiple units in one transaction, or would come back that one time to burn their coupon on additional units. 

It seems like a no-brainer. More value for the customers, and more units sold per transaction for eBay sellers. 

@ilikehockeyjerseys 

Strangely if/when you are logged into eBay on dot com the system gives you the option to use coupons. If you try to you are blocked because you are not located in the USA. Attempted only as a test. 

-Lotz

Message 10 of 10
latest reply