Deadbeat buyers

Enough eBay! Rant to follow!

I have now sold the same item 5 times to deadbeat buyers. The last one required them to accept an offer so payment should have been the next logical step. All the time wasted. I won't relist it again. I actually have lots to sell but I'm not listing anymore. Relisting one item is enough, I don't need to relist 20. I'm so sick of this.
I don't get the thrill associated with this? Then again I'm not fascinated by shiny objects, or picking dried glue off hands... what was missed while eating it, nor do I eat my boogers.
Small things amuse small minds... is all this equates to.

eBay seems to think everything is ok as they've done nothing to improve the situation which has gotten progressively worse since they removed the seller option to rate the buyer!

Obviously the unpaid item strike is a joke and it does not work. Two strikes in a year, then after the year, you're good to cause grief again? Its like the eBay equivalent to Canada's Young Offenders Act. That does nothing either! The concept is the same, no consequence for actions.

Time for change eBay! This is YOUR responsibility! Stop sending me useless fluff surveys. Ask me the real questions as a frustrated, done with all this fecal matter, seller.

How about:
On sign up, enter a valid Credit Card and bank Account. If you fail to pay after 4 days the charge will go through regardless. Its still a LEGAL agreement and payment is fulfillment of this agreement.
Just for good measure, failure to pay within 4 days also results in an additional 10% penalty to be awarded to the seller for tolerating the deadbeat. Actually, make it 100%!

Accepting an offer or winning the auction by last second bidding requires immediate payment. Both require the buyer being at their computer to accomplish either one, so payment should immediately follow. Failure to pay results in account suspension and the item being automatically relisted.

Trial periods for new members. Either immediate payment, regardless of auction of fixed price, OR, after 1 unpaid item strike the account is suspended. They have 4 days to rectify the situation, if no action is taken (oh, I don’t know... like following through on the payment?!) the account is deleted.

Does this sound hard for eBay to do? Maybe loosing sellers is easier? Enough BS, its time to apply consequence to actions. Those of us who are good standing members have nothing to worry about. Time to weed out the deadbeats.
Until then, I for one have had enough and have started looking for a good alternative to selling (and buying) on eBay. I have not made a purchase on eBay for months and they're not getting anything from me for cancelled transactions from deadbeat buyers. Why am I as a seller paying for this?

If eBay feels the effect on the bottom line maybe they'll finally do something!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Deadbeat buyers

This isn't an eBay "thing"! this happens on other selling sites as well, deadbeat buyers are everywhere, on any selling site and there are still selling sites where you cannot even block buyers...so sellers encounter the problem anywhere, at any time!

And no, selling sites DO NOT CARE!...sellers ARE expendable, sellers are like a commodity....easily discarded, easily replaced...

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

For whatever it's worth, my understanding is that eBay is experimenting with a system that will require immediate payment on auctions (I assume it puts a funds hold on the buyer's credit card). Who knows when this will be fully rolled out, but it does appear to be coming.

I would highly recommend NOT selling things like the parts-only cell phones via auction anyway. I expect you'd get higher prices in a buy it now format with none of the other auction-related issues.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

If you are using Auction, or if you are using Fixed Price, and accept a Best Offer the buyer has 96 hours to pay, for logistical reasons. Not every buyer and seller is at the computer at the same time.

Do you have your options set to automatically open an Unpaid Item dispute after those 96 hours have passed?

Do it.

And also opt to automatically Block any customer with Strikes.

One reason I have never shopped at Costco is that they would not let me into the store without paying for a 'membership' before I could even see what they had for sale.

EBay is experimenting with this. Another stupid decision.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

marnotom!
Community Member

Are you aware of the "Immediate Payment Required" option that can be applied to "Buy it Now" listings?

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/immediate-payment-works?id=4151

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

Yes, that's set but if you offer a discount on the sale price the "buy it now" is invalid. Why? Only eBay knows.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

This rant is way too long i won't read everything. But if you set your settings to automatically block buyers with too many unpaid cases, usually it filter a lot of buyers. I personally have one case every few months. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

Thanks but yes, thats all set up and still it happens a lot.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

byto253
Community Member

Offering a discount and that over-rides the immdiate payment requirement is odd.  I just reduce the BIN price, so am not familiar with the process for offering a discount.

I use online auctions  and eBay is the only place I know that I can win and not have my payment processed when the hammer drops.   For anyone else you need to have a credit card on file.  I heard about that possibly coming, but that was months ago.  Hopefully that will be coming sooner than later.  I would like to use auctions more.  Having payment locked in would really help cut down on frivolous bidders, and make it easier to schedule activity. 

I rarely, rarely use Best Offer because of this.  If I agree to sell at a lower price to someone, I either reduce the price on the listing, or set up an exclusive listing for them that requires immediate payment.    

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

Offering a discount and that over-rides the immdiate payment requirement is odd.

What does "offering a discount" mean in this situation?

If it means accepting Best Offers, then it makes sense since there is no guarantee that the buyer and seller will be at their computers/phones at the same time.

If it means the sells has a universal reduced price on the item (Now Only $8.99! 25% off for August!) I agree. There is still a Fixed Price, although lower, and the buyer can purchase and pay immediately.

Same with Offers made to recent Viewers. When the Viewer sees the Offer they can accept immediately and pay immediately.

It's the offer/counteroffer/counter counter/acceptance  that could be a logistical puzzle.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

If you set your price as a "but it now" and then after some time you send an offer of reduced price to those watching your item the requirement for them to pay after accepting is no longer required. Its the same as if they bid and won the item. They can still not pay for it after accepting the discount. The last 4 times I sold it were an acution. Just this last time I sold it it was a "but it now" and I send out a discounted price. A "member" accepted then became my latest deadbeat. Now he'll get the pathetic slap on the wrist and have an unpaid item strike.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

I for one, NEVER use discounts on eBay, NEVER use Offers in any way on eBay, and NEVER use the Offers feature for anyone or anything on ANY selling site I list & sell.... EXCEPT for Facebook Marketplace> that's where discounts can be applied and offers can be made...selling on a local selling site is an acceptable place for using a discount price and/or make use of an offers feature.

Have been buying & selling all my life and there is a time & place to use discounts and or use/accept offers..I don't find online sites like eBay to be that place....at any time...

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Deadbeat buyers

Non-paying bidders are surely annoying, but I don't see it (any more) as a serious problem. I wait 4 days, then I block the bidder and relist the item. I even wonder, if adding them to blocked buyers' list makes sense - some people might have problems in their life, or with their computer, or health issues and because of that forget about the purchase or temporarily are not able to complete it. I have hundreds of blocked bidders on my list, and most of them were added just because of non-payment.    

Message 13 of 13
latest reply