Dealing with a buyer asking for return or partial refund

So i'm selling trading cards and sold hundred over past year without a single unhappy buyer. I sold a card in bad shape that was shown to be in this shape with multiple correct photos and clear description. Buyer state it's worst that he tought and ask for return or a solution, aka partial refund... It's a $35 card shipped lettermail, and he's a high score profil, he clearly know what he's doing i just feel like i'm in a situation where i'm getting exploited by an experimented user. It was shipped 2 days ago he did not wait a single second to message, and to be honest even his message seems pre written

The card was market price for this condition i declined offers for it but at the same time i'm losing more to offer a return... And if i offer nothing it's predictable the buyer will claim an item not as described. Any suggestion how to deal with this?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Hello,

This is a tough one.

Technically it is possible that once the customer had the card in their possession they realized that it was much worse then pictured dispite accurate photos and description.  I collect cards so this has happened to me on occasion.  Not a big enough deal to complain about.

This could also be a situation for phishing for a refund although if the customer wanted to exploit the transaction why not just file an INR since it was sent Letter Mail.  

Personally I would leave the ball in the customers court.  Advise of your photos and description and leave it at that.  If the customer opens up an Item not as described then have them go through the return process and send them a return label to have the card sent back.  If your correct in your assessment of the transaction then I don't believe the customer will go through the hassle to return the card and someone can correct me but eventually you get your money back for the label.

Most scammers bank on the seller wanting to make this go away quickly so making them go through the proper channels to return an item could detract future fraudulent attempts for yourself and the online selling community.  

I wish you all the best

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

In passing,

Cookie Jar Insurance.

Basically add a few pennies to every asking price as a sort of self-insurance premium against possible losses, claims and frauds.

Put those virtual pennies in a virtual Cookie Jar for use when you need to buy return shipping or pay out refunds.

Saves you anxiety over the truth of the claim and of course having the money handy is always useful.

With a $35 card that you have declined offers on, I would agree with @edubb101 . Tell him to return it for a full refund. 

Encouraging him to open an NAD is up to you. Some scammers will avoid that and drop the whole thing rather than go on eBay's radar. OTOH, you may have to pay tracked return shipping.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for the answers. Can we offer a return with label when we shipped lettermail? Also can we ask a return with lettermail from a buyer or it's a mistake?

Actually i explained to the buyer that pictures and condition were accurate and that i do not offer returns. Probably not professional but i also explained with datas that the pricing was market price (his main point was that he would not have paid the price he paid for this condition). Worst thing is that this sale came from a 10% discount offer already...

Anyway i'll see his answer but i feel like neither a return or an additional discount was fair for me. Really i feel like buyer is not at its first rodeo and expected an easy partial refund here, the way he wrote things. To my eyes it was correctly described, pictured, and fairly priced. I expect an item not as described case coming... I hope it won't comes with a negative feedback

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Hang on, did you say that the card was mailed off two (now three) days ago? How far is it going?
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I sold a comic to a buyer who came back and asked for a partial refund as he thought the book didn't match the description.  (It did).  I wrote him, told him I had huge sellers remorse over the transaction and would he just send the book back for a full refund.  He got back to me with "I think that I will keep it"  Nice try, and blocked!

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

So it did not turned really good, my buyer turned totally mad with my answer. Says i'm one sided and what i say does not makes sense. Because basically i do not use his terms and because he think its damaged while it's not. And he thinks i'm delusional on the value, while i refused offers and got ebay datas, just using facts. He oppenned a return for item not as described, it was so predictable. This is my first time dealing with this, am i forced to accept the return?

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Can we offer a return with label when we shipped lettermail? Also can we ask a return with lettermail from a buyer or it's a mistake?

Yes.

But again, the tracking is the proof that the seller got the book back and is now required (by eBay) to refund.

and that i do not offer returns.

No Returns does NOT mean No Refunds.

Even with a No Returns policy the seller is allowed to demand a return before refunding -- although he may have to pay for return shipping.

I expect an item not as described case coming... I hope it won't comes with a negative feedback

If you refund promptly, you face no penalties. The loser in a dispute cannot leave feedback.

@alacar-8's response to an whining buyer is brilliant!

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

This is such an awful situation. Actually i just realised buyer wrote that he won't leave negative or neutral as long as he can return the item. He seems legit but at the same time he's doing partial refund extortion and negative feedback treats and do not even realise it. He said i'm different from other sellers too, clearly not his first rodeo asking for some money back

Is there any way we can win an item not as described case in a case like this? Based on condition subjectivity

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Is there any way we can win an item not as described case in a case like this? Based on condition subjectivity

No. eBay does not investigate on whether the buyer is being reasonable or not. They will automatically expect you to either accept the return and pay for return shipping or refund without requiring a return.

Once you get the item and have refunded the buyer, you can report the buyer for misusing the MBG.  You could also report him for feedback extortion if he leaves you a negative although I'm not sure if ebay would consider that as feedback extortion since technically they are only asking to return the item.  If they demanded a partial refund without a return, that would be feedback extortion.

It's possible that if you report him for misusing the mbg that ebay will give you a courtesy refund.  I don't know what the chances of that are but the buyer should be reported regardless.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Actually it was 3 days. Shipped the 25th in the morning QC to ON, buyer messaged 28th in the morning

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

I see in the item not as described case that i have a few options, that i can send a partial refund offer. Can i try to send an offer first in it? And if buyer decline, then accept the return?

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Let’s think about why you’d want the card back. Are you trying to prevent the buyer from getting a bigger discount? Do you think you’d be able to sell it again for a better price?
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I can't remember how the partial refund offer works and I can't find any information about it. I know that you just have one chance to make an offer.  If the buyer doesn't agree I would 'guess'  that the return would automatically be accepted but I am just  guessing. Does it say anything about on the return request?

Keep in mind that returns are usually sent back with tracking so that will cost more than your original postage.  If you ask them to send it back via lettermail you will have to refund whether or not you get the item back.  

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I clearly would not want the card back. Although it's an high demand one and i had multiple watchers / offers on it. It was not in good condition, it's the kind of ones you're happy to find someone willing to take it

The problem in this case is that i'm losing more to take a return and resell even if i can resell at slightly higher price, than offering a partial refund. If return shipping is $15-20 because of tracking, on a $35 item, you see the thing

At the same time i'm facing sort of extortion, a trouble maker acting like he's fair and legit, so it's an awful situation. You kinda don't wanna partial refund when a buyer jump right away to message and seems to easily exploit the system, making you feel like a discount is due or he'll make you lose more. Buyer is registered since early 2000 and have over 1000 score, and even if he's not trying to do an explicit scam, everything he does seems unconsiously planned. He 100% know what he's doing. Many things he says seems like he try to make the issue look bigger than it is. He wrote in the not as described case that little to none scratchs were shown, while it's totally false and the listing has pictures showing heavy scratching. He stated that those scratchs are damage, while it's not considered as damage in the market. Stated that my terms to define the condition are misleading, while my terms are described in description. Just a few exemples. Buyer emit biased and subjective opinions instead of facts

Anyway i ended messaged to discuss about a partial refund actually but i think i messed up yesterday, buyer freaked out after my first message. He expected an easy refund. I will clearly report the buyer for abusive use of money back guarantee after the case is solve

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

I rhink rhw Buyer had simply rethought about the book and the description.  I don't understand assuming the Buyer was trying to pull a fast one, nor why the Buyer would be blocked.  Writing descriptions is not easy.  You must know, yourself, how it is after you have looked at hundreds, maybe thousands of the type of item you seek, and that a certain weariness, mixed with pleasure, occurs.  Golly.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

It's a $35 card shipped lettermail,

You cannot prove delivery.

It is very unlikely that a card posted on Tuesday January 2 has arrived by Thursday January 4. Possible but unlikely.

Just send him a return Message.

"I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a full refund."

I does help that by saying he has received the card, he makes an INR less likely.

Best case. He keeps the cards and stops asking for even a partial.

If he does --"I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a full refund."

He files a Not As Described claim.

This is a Good Thing - seriously.

In the Claim "I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a full refund."

You may be told to send Return Shipping.

You can buy USPS shipping labels as well as Canada Post, but you must buy a tracked service.

Then refund when you get it back. Block the whiner. Relist. Resell.

You had offers , so it's not as bad as you think.

He files an Item Not Received (INR) claim.

You are screwed.

Send a refund promptly.

Block him.

Then and only then appeal the ruling -- because you will lost an INR-- and show that specious demand for a partial refund before the item likely even arrived.  And cross all your fingers and toes.

Selling damaged items, no matter how well we describe them, and no matter how much interest there is in them, does leave us open to Claims.

All we can do is remind ourselves "this is business, not personal" and cover ourselves with our Cookie Jar Insurance policy.

Best Wishes.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Psst, @reallynicestamps, zombie thread from late April 2022.
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

LMAO, I nearly replied myself...Happy New Year everyone !!!!

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2022

The problem with zombie threads is that the information may be out of date and no longer useful.

Sigh.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply