Did you notice that the amounts on .com show the actual price in the countries currency?

Hi everyone, I have been away for a month, just got back last weekend and I noticed when searching on .com the prices are actually in the currency they are listed in.  Is that something new?  I can see US buyers shying away from that.

selling amounts.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Did you notice that the amounts on .com show the actual price in the countries currency?

Welcome back, how was your cruise?

The default view on .com is usually set to show the search page in $US so yours must have changed.  To change it back click on view at the top of the page - customize and check off ‘convert prices to $US’.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi PJ, thanks, cruise was good.  It was hot and humid in Ft Lauderdale, Curacao, through the panama.  Stopped in Costa Rica, missed Nicaragua (civil unrest) then Guatemala and 4 stops in Mexico.  As soon as we rounded the corner from Cabo San Lucas, it turned cold around 55 F in both San Diego and San Francisco, I wasn't prepared for that, I only brought stuff for hot weather.  Because the ship was going to Vancouver, about 70% were Canadian.  Relaxing time, now to get back to selling.

Anything happen that I should be aware of without reading all the threads?

I went to see what I had put for the currency and I have it right, it must be just a bug or something.  

converted.jpg

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

This is worrisome for any of us selling mainly to the U.S. and listing items in $CDN.  I don't know how many buyers will be aware that they need to set or re-set defaults.  The problem of course with $CDN is that if it's displayed to a U.S. buyer as such, the number will look bigger at first glance -- not a good selling point in a world where everything depends on first, instantaneous impression.   If it's a bug, I hope someone notices and fixes it asap!

As for things going on, as usual there are complicated changes coming down the pipe.  There is a thread about the "product-based experience" that has been floated to the top of the Seller page by the eBay Canada people that is going to impact most of us in one way or another.  If you're not already up to speed on the topic, you might want to read through the concerns of sellers on that discussion. 

Sounds like it was a wonderful cruise! 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I did a double check and my .COM is showing everything in US$ and I've never (re)set anything, so hopefully that remains the case.

(It would make a very lot of sense to have the default currency in the currency of the local site, ie US$ on .COM, $C on .CA etc..... however what makes sense isn't always the case anymore....the multi currency image is certainly confusing)

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

What I did was I took convert listings to current currency off, then I put it back on.  It seems to have reset itself.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply