Do not use Fedex...

I used FedEx before and had no problem and they are usually 2-3 dollars cheaper than Canada Post when shipping to major cities. This morning I was just putting my recent orders into my spreadsheet and found out that one of the orders has weird numbers. I checked and found out I was charged 45 bucks for the shipping. I got back to my email and dig up the old information... I was quoted 17 dollars when I purchased the Fedex label through eBay and now it has increased. I contacted eBay and the reps told me the weight is 14 times heavier than what I put in when Fedex scanned the Package...

The item is an EVGA 3060 xc graphics card and I am sure Nvidia will be shocked to find out their video card is over 14kg..

Well, going through the dispute process now and hope I can get my credit back

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Do not use Fedex...

Update: So the eBay reps submitted the dispute for me and I actually went through all my shipping labels and what I found is very interesting.

For all of my FedEx labels, the actual cost is always more than what I was quoted on eBay. And the average is about 3-5 dollars. And the actual weight is commonly 50-200% more than what I put in.  Seems like FedEx is just putting random numbers for packages.

And I googled this and looks like this is a long-lasting issue. Fedex is commonly adding weight to the package. This is really shady on the Fedex side. And the rep told me FedEx is the only company doing this. I can't imagine how much FedEx is making with those shady charges and most sellers probably don't realize since the amount is very small.

I think I will stay away from Fedex and support Canada Post now even if I pay more, at least it is not this shady. I Hope FedEx was sued one day and paid a heavy price for this shady practice.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Do not use Fedex...

FedEx is a very bad company for messing about with rates.

Worst is their practice of handing over an imported package, then billing later for customs fees (duty, sales tax, service fee). If the angry customer refuses to pay , FedEX goes after the seller.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

Update: So the eBay reps submitted the dispute for me and I actually went through all my shipping labels and what I found is very interesting.

For all of my FedEx labels, the actual cost is always more than what I was quoted on eBay. And the average is about 3-5 dollars. And the actual weight is commonly 50-200% more than what I put in.  Seems like FedEx is just putting random numbers for packages.

And I googled this and looks like this is a long-lasting issue. Fedex is commonly adding weight to the package. This is really shady on the Fedex side. And the rep told me FedEx is the only company doing this. I can't imagine how much FedEx is making with those shady charges and most sellers probably don't realize since the amount is very small.

I think I will stay away from Fedex and support Canada Post now even if I pay more, at least it is not this shady. I Hope FedEx was sued one day and paid a heavy price for this shady practice.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

marnotom!
Community Member
Could FedEx be applying dimensional weight calculations to these packages?
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

Your right, it's a total scam. And besides it being a scam they ask for documents I haven't once had to fill out for UPS or USPS or Canada post or DHL or purolator.
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

This post reminded me, I had the *exact* same issue with Canada Post about 3 years back and forgot to look into it.... I figured their scale at the depot got stuck or something.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

There is the "dimensional measurement" question.

I don't fully understand how it works although I do, grudgingly, accept why it is used.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

FedEx consistently overcharging on shipping labels despite the exact same dimensions and weight for me as well. It's like playing Russian roulette. Sometimes $2 more sometimes $5 Last shipment charged an extra $8. No more. Too scary. What is update on your dispute. Ant chance of getting money back? I have not tried. Figured going to be just a waste of time
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

Same thing here. Got an estimate for a 28x24x17cm package weighting 2.478kg (my scale is precise up to 1g, I rarely get surcharge from Canada Post) sent to the USA at 23.25$ CAD. Final price charged was 48.84$. That's more than double!

About the dimensional measurement, FedEx can calculate it themselves with the dimensions and weight you give them and provide an appropriate estimate. Canada Post does it automatically on their website (it's called Volumetric Equivalent).

Shipping with FedEx, I often get a 3-5$ surcharge over the estimate given. My guess is that the eBay estimator for FedEx is pure c.r.a.p. and gives low numbers just to attract sellers. I get the same amount around 17.44$ for most packages under 2kg to anywhere in the USA, but final price is very rarely near that price. Canada Post estimates shown on eBay are on par most of the time with what I get with my business account.

eBay did "good" on this one. The estimate is not saved anywhere so when you are invoiced a few weeks later, you have nowhere to go to compare unless you took the time to note it by yourself. There should be a report available with all the details about the package sent (what you entered vs what was measured) as well as the estimate and paid price. If the eBay rep can see it, whe should as well. Maybe this would help many seller see how they got ripped off by FedEx.

Even with the overcharges, sometimes FedEx are really well under Canada Post, otherwise I had left them for good.

I have not tried to get my money back as well (and that's what they are accounting for!) since this will most likely be a waste of time. A home scale - even the most precise one - cannot compete with FedEx's commercial scale even if it get stuck for no reason sometimes.

Arkh

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

@arkh_angel wrote:

Same thing here. Got an estimate for a 28x24x17cm package weighting 2.478kg (my scale is precise up to 1g, I rarely get surcharge from Canada Post) sent to the USA at 23.25$ CAD. Final price charged was 48.84$. That's more than double!

About the dimensional measurement, FedEx can calculate it themselves with the dimensions and weight you give them and provide an appropriate estimate. Canada Post does it automatically on their website (it's called Volumetric Equivalent).

Just discovered that FedEx Canada has an online rate calculator.  What do you get for the appropriate shipping rate when you use that, @arkh_angel?

And what's the charge breakdown?  (I'm especially wondering if fuel surcharges are getting missed out of the eBay estimate.)

https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/online/rating.html#

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

@marnotom! wrote:

@arkh_angel wrote:

Just discovered that FedEx Canada has an online rate calculator.  What do you get for the appropriate shipping rate when you use that, @arkh_angel?

And what's the charge breakdown?  (I'm especially wondering if fuel surcharges are getting missed out of the eBay estimate.)

https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/online/rating.html#

@marnotom! : I had to use it lately to give a quote to a customer for a faster delivery. Unfortunately, I do not profit from the same rebates as eBay does so the amounts are very different.

Out of curiosity, I gave a second look at the customer's address and it was a PO Box. This means you could be spot on with the fuel surcharges. eBay's shipping estimator simply doesn't account for any extras (at least for FedEx).

Once again, eBay did half the job instead of doing it right the first time. It will take months and months of complaints and then one day they will proudly present their new shipping estimator in their Seller Update with "more acurate estimates".

I'll do more tests with that address in FedEx's calculator and will let you know what are exactly the surcharges.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

@arkh_angel wrote:

Out of curiosity, I gave a second look at the customer's address and it was a PO Box. This means you could be spot on with the fuel surcharges. eBay's shipping estimator simply doesn't account for any extras (at least for FedEx).

Once again, eBay did half the job instead of doing it right the first time. It will take months and months of complaints and then one day they will proudly present their new shipping estimator in their Seller Update with "more acurate estimates".

I'll do more tests with that address in FedEx's calculator and will let you know what are exactly the surcharges.

I had a chat session with eBay Support today. I had purchased a FedEx shipping label through eBay's Shipping Labels, because eBay's tool showed that FedEx would be cheaper than Canada Post. 

Almost a week after deliver, FedEx has now, through eBay, charged me almost 50% more in additional fees: fuel surcharge; and "misc fee".  

The eBay rep said that this is a common occurrence with FedEx. 

You mentioned PO boxes. My buyer has a PO box, which I would have used if I had sent via Canada Post. As I was sending via FedEx (since eBay said it was cheaper), the buyer said to edit out his PO box in the delivery address, which I did, and hewould still be able to receive it. So, I sent without PO box, just a normal street address and zip code. Buyer received it, but now I'm being charged extra fees for fuel and "misc".

The Shipping Labels feature is not particularly useful if we cannot trust the quotes that it provides.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

Found something interesting...

In the Seller Hub (My eBay, Selling), if you select "Orders", then click on "All Orders" and finally, on the left column, you click on "Shipping labels", you will see every shipping label you purchased as well as all the details, including fees and surcharges. Just click on the link with the shipping service name (eg: FedEx International Ground) under the "Shipment details / Cost" column.

It confirms the estimates given by eBay does not take into account the fuel surcharges and other amounts charged by the carrier. Too bad I can't upload a screen capture.

Worst thing is, under the estimate, the fuel surcharge line is there, at 0.00$.

Estimated cost: C $23.25

Original weight: 2478 grams

Original dimensions: 24.00 x 28.00 x 17.00 cm

Fuel Surcharge: C $0.00

Carrier Rate: C $0.00

eBay Discount: C $0.00

Misc1 Amt: C $0.00

Misc2 Amt: C $0.00

Actual cost: C $48.84

Actual Weight: 2449.40 gram

Actual dimensions: 2286 x 27.94 x 17.78 cm

Fuel Surcharge: C $4.24

Carrier Rate: C $130.10

eBay Discount: -C $110.10

Misc1 Amt: C $20.00

Misc2 Amt: C $4.60

So basically, their FedEx estimate is grossly inacurate and doesn't take into account anything that could be charged over the basic shipping cost.

Not sure why, but in some case there is no details, only "actual cost". 

Seeing the details for a few shipments is frightening. An item weighted at 2748 grams weights 4717.36 gram in FedEx's balance (volumetric equivalent?). The box is almost a perfect cube. 

I just seen I got an estimate of C $17.62 but has been charged C $76.41.

This is totally unreliable. I will no longer ship using FedEx's ridiculous service. I got charged more than what's the item is worth!! Holy F***!! NEVER AGAIN FEDEX!

Have a look guys and see how you got ripped off!!

AWFUL. I just can't believe it

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

I am suspicious I just got scammed big time by FedEx as a seller on ebay Canada site.   I am new to the site, only been seling about 6 months.  I was shipping out a vintage pastry press.  I did the lsiting with free shipping, the whole order was $39.99.  It was an item I wanted to remove from my inventory with the year coming to an end here.  I looked for the rates in the shipping label section and FedEx came up as $25.75.  I purchased the label for FedEx, and shipped the item (very light, less than a pound) out.   This was a within Canada order.  I event overshot on measurements by an extra centimetre, and gave the item some extra weight just to be safe, before doing up the label.   This was all done on Dec 7, 2023.  I was notified today (boxing day) from ebay that they are taking $209.00 out of my account to cover the same order. for FedEx shipping.  I just about wanted to drop to the floor from disbelief.   When I went into the orders it no longers shows the $25.75 label I purchased, it shows as being $209.00 now.  This was basic FedEx Ground, how does $25.75 go up to $209?  

I have put in two calls to ebay customer support.  As it stands right now, my account will be billed in a few days for the $209 (right after Christmas).  I feel I have been taken advantage of, and never consented to any shipping fees that can just be made up out of the blue.  Who at ebay is watching out for sellers?  Why is FedEx getting away with this?  Is the fox guarding the hen-house?

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

@treasuresleuthbc wrote:

I am suspicious I just got scammed big time by FedEx as a seller on ebay Canada site.   I am new to the site, only been seling about 6 months.  I was shipping out a vintage pastry press.  I did the lsiting with free shipping, the whole order was $39.99.  It was an item I wanted to remove from my inventory with the year coming to an end here.  I looked for the rates in the shipping label section and FedEx came up as $25.75.  I purchased the label for FedEx, and shipped the item (very light, less than a pound) out.   This was a within Canada order.  I event overshot on measurements by an extra centimetre, and gave the item some extra weight just to be safe, before doing up the label.   This was all done on Dec 7, 2023.  I was notified today (boxing day) from ebay that they are taking $209.00 out of my account to cover the same order. for FedEx shipping.  I just about wanted to drop to the floor from disbelief.   When I went into the orders it no longers shows the $25.75 label I purchased, it shows as being $209.00 now.  This was basic FedEx Ground, how does $25.75 go up to $209?  

I have put in two calls to ebay customer support.  As it stands right now, my account will be billed in a few days for the $209 (right after Christmas).  I feel I have been taken advantage of, and never consented to any shipping fees that can just be made up out of the blue.  Who at ebay is watching out for sellers?  Why is FedEx getting away with this?  Is the fox guarding the hen-house?

@treasuresleuthbc 

You may want to get in touch with Fedex customer service. They will be able to give you a better explanation than eBay contract customer service workers ever will. It will be important to have a copy of your bill handy when you call.

-Lotz

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

I took a look through my latest shipments and found a fedex one that had a large fee added. Original shipping estimate was $27, the actual charged rate was $64. Two other fedex shipments came in as actually cheaper than the estimate. In all 3 cases the fedex weight shown was far higher than the actual package weight was... I contacted eBay and the chat agent opened up a dispute on the charge easily enough.

Just have to watch this in future. Its a shame, I much prefer fedex's service and their drop off location compared to Canada Post.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

@aviatorsparadise wrote:

I took a look through my latest shipments and found a fedex one that had a large fee added. Original shipping estimate was $27, the actual charged rate was $64. Two other fedex shipments came in as actually cheaper than the estimate. In all 3 cases the fedex weight shown was far higher than the actual package weight was... I contacted eBay and the chat agent opened up a dispute on the charge easily enough.

Just have to watch this in future. Its a shame, I much prefer fedex's service and their drop off location compared to Canada Post.

@aviatorsparadise 

@treasuresleuthbc 

@toronto_tuttle 

devon@ebay Can you look into this please? Sellers need to be have the correct (accurate) shipping amounts invoiced to buyers before they pay. After is too late.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

Thank you Lotzofuniquegoodies for your advice.  I just wanted to give you and everyone an update on the over billing issue I am having with ebay.ca and FedEx Canada.  The original shipping label purchased was $25.75, that has now turned into $209.17.  I have been in touch with ebay.ca and FedEx.  I feel all I get is run around.  One ebay rep recommended I remove the money from my chequing account and let the $209.17 bounce.  When I brought up that I will incur an NSF fee if I do that they didn't have anything else to say.  FedEx made excuses and bounced me around to different phone numbers to call.  A rep from corporate finally called me today and said there isn't anything they can do at this time, give it a week or so.  They also said people are away on Holidays.  When I told them that ebay will be pulling the money from my account they didn't' really seem to care or be concerned about it.  

Doing more research I discovered ebay sellers in the USA and Canada being over charged when they used FedEx as a shipping service for the ebay label.  They all sound very similar.  When they used Canada Post or the US Postal service they didn't run into over billing issues.  When they used FedEx they noticed that the amount of shipping changed, most cases almost double the original amount they purchased the label for.  I even found ebay sellers on youtube with videos two to three years old stating and outlining in detail how ebay and fedex over charged them on shipping labels.

I am now seeking independent legal advice for a potential class action to commence in British Columbia Canada against ebay Canada and FedEx Canada.  

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

@treasuresleuthbc   Before you go through all that mess and expense, contact eBay for Business on Facebook. You'll get in touch with actual eBay staff who have the power to do stuff about situations like this. The phone support guys are just a call center located god knows where reading off a script and have little to no clue what's going on.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Do not use Fedex...

But but but--- government services always cost more and are less efficient than private ones.

Canada Post now has four sizes of prepaid boxes for domestic use, and the promotional rate for Tracked Packet USA has been extended to March.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply