Does This Sound Suspicious?

I sold a set of 3 soaps 2 weeks ago and a few days later I got a message saying they had leaked during transit. I had shrink wrapped them and put them in bubble bags. The customer was pretty upset so I sent out a new replacement. This was the first time I used shrink wrap so I figured ok something happened.

I sent the replacement and also went back to my original method of putting packing tape around the pumps so they don’t leak. I have NEVER had an issue after selling over a hundred soaps. Using packing tape. I understand with the shrink wrap as I was trying out a new method to make it look more professional.

I get a message just now saying they leaked again with the packing tape. My first instinct was I am being scammed. I had also shrink wrapped 2 soaps for another customer that same day when she originally paced the order and never heard any negative feedback or damages.

I asked the customer to send me a photo and still waiting. She wants her money back. I am waiting for a picture. Does this sound suspicious? And what are the odds of 2 leaking packages of soaps in separate incidences when they were both packed different and the second time even safer? My gut is telling me something is wrong. What are your thoughts?
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@wicks-n-suds wrote:
I sold a set of 3 soaps 2 weeks ago and a few days later I got a message saying they had leaked during transit. I had shrink wrapped them and put them in bubble bags. The customer was pretty upset so I sent out a new replacement. This was the first time I used shrink wrap so I figured ok something happened.

I sent the replacement and also went back to my original method of putting packing tape around the pumps so they don’t leak. I have NEVER had an issue after selling over a hundred soaps. Using packing tape. I understand with the shrink wrap as I was trying out a new method to make it look more professional.

I get a message just now saying they leaked again with the packing tape. My first instinct was I am being scammed. I had also shrink wrapped 2 soaps for another customer that same day when she originally paced the order and never heard any negative feedback or damages.

I asked the customer to send me a photo and still waiting. She wants her money back. I am waiting for a picture. Does this sound suspicious? And what are the odds of 2 leaking packages of soaps in separate incidences when they were both packed different and the second time even safer? My gut is telling me something is wrong. What are your thoughts?

It is possible they are being entirely honest. Will depend on amount of free space at top of container.  Reason why some items look like they were not filled originally. When items freeze in transit it expands and possibly damaged the seal. Majority of mail in Canada moves ground. How far/where were they going? When I shipped liquids by ground (warehouse distribution) we had to specify heated heated service. (Couriers). Canadapost does not show as an option(That I could spot). You may need to ship using a premium service for less in transit time. (Possible solution but unable to verify)

-Lotz

Related info: UPS

https://www.ups.com/ca/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/packing-materials/coolants-refrigerants...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

It does sound a bit odd.  If the cost is not to crazy, have the buyer send them back to you and refund upon receipt.  If it is to the US and the return shipping is to high, perhaps an idea that was posted in another thread.  Make the return address a US one, to a Sally Anne or a charitable organization.   

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thank you both for your replies. It was being shipped to the US and I had asked for proof of damage and she had already removed everything which made it even more suspicious as I have no proof. I’m from Ontario where we are going through a cold spell right now and this was going to a northern state.

Usually when something is damaged and I have proof I will either refund or send a replacement right away. In both of these incidences I had no proof and the first time I provided a replacement in good faith because it was my first time using shrink wrap. The second time I was not as this has never been an issue but I refunded her as she would open a case with eBay and I’d still have to refund. She didn’t like the shrink wrap and didn’t like the packing tape so I’m not sure how she expected me to pack it. I am sending out another 4 soaps tomorrow so if it is a weather issue we shall see.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@wicks-n-suds wrote:
Thank you both for your replies. It was being shipped to the US and I had asked for proof of damage and she had already removed everything which made it even more suspicious as I have no proof. I’m from Ontario where we are going through a cold spell right now and this was going to a northern state.

Usually when something is damaged and I have proof I will either refund or send a replacement right away. In both of these incidences I had no proof and the first time I provided a replacement in good faith because it was my first time using shrink wrap. The second time I was not as this has never been an issue but I refunded her as she would open a case with eBay and I’d still have to refund. She didn’t like the shrink wrap and didn’t like the packing tape so I’m not sure how she expected me to pack it. I am sending out another 4 soaps tomorrow so if it is a weather issue we shall see.

The few times I've sent anything liquid in nature I've packaged in a double ziplock with air for space Taped on top edge. Then bubble wrap. Not optimum but no issues to date. Liquids are tricky. Curious to know how much the container actually is short? I think you got one of those extremely fussy customers that we all know and love. 

-Lotz

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

This is why I never resend, because one never knows if it is really the case or if it is a scammer and they're going for round 2. Even if it is the case, whatever happened on the first round has a higher likelihood of happening on the 2nd round if resent.

I normally politely work with them, refund or make them happy and block them.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Do not throw good money after bad.

No more soap.

Refund her IF she opens a Dispute. 

Scammers don't want to do that because it puts them on eBay's radar.

Even if the bottles leaked, she has likely more soap than she ever paid for.

EBay will tell her to return the purchase. You will likely be told to buy a Return Shipping Label.

If she opens the dispute, you can buy a USPS label through Shippo.

If she doesn't, you win the case.

If she does, you can actually see what (if anything) happened,  but you will be refunding.

And BLOCK her since either there is some problem that you can't identify or she is scamming you for free soap.

BTW-- I've been assuming this is liquid soap.

You do know that there are restrictions on what liquids can be shipped, right?

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I don't know anything about shipping soaps. So I cannot comment from that perspective on how likely the soap is to burst with a certain shipping method.

If you sell something regularly and have no problems with a specific type of defect, and then a buyer has two straight issues with the item being defective in that way, that is suspicious. 

If they are unsatisfied, politely invite them to open a return. If they do open a return, you can do one of two things to resolve the situation :

1 - Refund them. Block them. Report them to eBay (if applicable), and move on. 

2 - Spend $20-$30 on a return shipping label. Refund them if they return both items. If they do not use the label after 15 business days, you can contact eBay, and they will close the return. That will end the transaction in terms of eBay buyer protection. If you use Shippo to purchase the label, you can get a refund for the unused label in the form of Shippo credit. 

If you think the person is scamming you, go with #2. You are gambling on wasting more time and money, but there is a reasonable chance they are fishing for a refund and want to keep the items. This means, if you call their bluff, they won't use the return label. 

If it is a low cost item, the pragmatic move might be to go with #1 because your time, stress, and sanity is worth more than the item. The item is also a sunk cost at that point, so throwing $20-$30 on an international return label to get a return you cannot re-sell doesn't help you if you misread the situation and they use the label. With that said, in this situation I would gamble and provide a label because I don't think the buyer will use it. It sounds very fishy.

If you do opt for a straight up refund, don't do it manually. Politely ask them to open a return first, and then resolve the return with a refund. I only suggest this because of how fishy it is. If they tell you they do not know how, you can provide them with this link: https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041 While eBay's new system might have changed this since you can choose more reasons for a refund, under eBay's old system it was always better to ask a buyer to open an actual return. You aren't penalized if you resolve the return, and some scammers no longer qualify for eBay buyer protection so they cannot open returns.

The last thing, is you can look at both their feedback received as a buyer, and "feedback left" tab. Feedback left is important, because if you see they leave a lot of neutral/negative feedbacks for sellers, or a lot of positive feedback referencing problems "item arrived damaged, but seller refunded", "seller was great at fixing an issue we had", etc, etc, then there is a good chance they do this regularly.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thank you to all the sellers who responded. It’s much appreciated! I have read over all the the replies and will follow all suggestions the next time I encounter someone like this.

I haven’t had any run ins with a person like that before and have a low defect rate with a candle jar being chipped in the last 2 years. I pack all my items very carefully. To a fault. There is no way this happened with the packing tape after I’ve sent so many without incident. Ive also never had an issue sending foaming hand soaps to the US either. I’ve had positive feedback about how well packed my items were.

In that moment after she said she had no picture of the supposed damage, I decided to deal with less headaches/drama and refund her. Of course she got away with it if it is in fact a scammer which I feel in my gut it is. Each item was $8.99 so not a huge loss but it’s the principle of the matter.

Next time I will ask to ship defective item back and get them to open a case. Thank you again!
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I just looked at the feedback she left for others and twice in the last 6 months she has done this. Over 3000 feedback and was also a seller but hasn't received feedback as a seller in over a year. So she knows the game. She posted in a feedback “Thank you for refund.”
Message 10 of 10
latest reply