Ebay stole money from my Bank Account

In September I posted my auctions as I normally do on the last day of the month to take advantage of the 100,000K free listings.  About 7 days later I see check my bank account to see ebay took out close to $4000 in sellers insertion fees. This has never happen in the past, ever, i always list before the promotion runs out just in case the promotion not available next month. After calling ebay and telling them of their error , the agent tried to tell me there was nothing showing a free insertion listing for September, I'm like buddy i don't what your looking at but I can clearly see it in the overview section of my seller hub.

ebay 22.JPG

He then proceeds to tell me his manager said no sorry those are still valid fee charges, so then I ask to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor proceeds to tell me she clearly sees the promotion listing is valid and that she spotted the real reason why I was charged those insertion fees, stating there was a computer bot error (whatever that means) and that my fees are now being processed should be returned to your bank account in the next 5 business days.  I made the supervisor send me a message to my ebay in box and it has now clearly been over 5 business days as that was October 8th.

Clearly Ebay is no rush to give back sellers money they basically stoled from a customer, I'm not happy about managed payment system as I would preferred to see an invoice before they just take whatever they feel like out of bank account.

ebay23.JPG

Absolutely no sense of urgency to fix this problem as I've had sleepless nights thinking about this, I'm actually scared to even list anything this month.

I don't understand why I can't talk to someone in Canada to fix this issue,  I'm wondering if this has happen to anyone else or if anyone can direct to me to somebody who actually cares to fix this issue.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

marnotom!
Community Member
How long does it usually take your financial institution to clear your payouts after eBay initiates the transfer?
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Actually payout is Tuesday and I have it Wednesday morning so 1 day.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Based on my experiences with bureaucratic organizations that make a lot of direct deposits or funds transfers, I’m guessing that for payments outside of the scope of Managed Payments payouts, eBay uses a set schedule to get monies out to whomever it needs to pay.

Your refund might be (might have been) cued up to go out with a bunch of other payments to vendors, etc. on either the 15th or 30th. If you don’t see anything in your bank account by Tuesday, I suggest you use the online chat or Facebook/Twitter eBay contact functions to “speak” to an actual eBay employee and not someone in a call centre, to see if this is actually the case.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I responded to your thread on .COM community board, but will re-post here:

Yes this has happened to me in the past, but not with MP system(this was when PayPal was still the processor here on eBay) so quite some time ago ...apparently there was some "glitch" or something going on and I(and other sellers) got charged insertion fees on listings that were posted on the last day of the month(from the allottment of free listings). However, I got my situation resolved almost immediately by using eBay chat ...despite the fact the chat support staff person was not really understanding the situation.. and was hard to convince there was a problem, in the end my persistence paid off and I had the fees removed...

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

will for sure do that, trying to be patient but yes I would rather talk to someone that's an ebay employee as the call centres are absolutely worthless. I would give them a rating of 0 out of 5 when it comes to understanding or showing any sense of urgency.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

yes my patience is running thin , i guess I have to hope someone in ebay chat will be smart enough to give me the correct answer or fix my issue.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Might as well be talking to an office intern on their first day on the job. Managed payments support is beyond god awful and the bureaucracy is so bad nobody wants to take responsibility nor are they empowered to make any decisions. Ebay North America needs a serious overhaul in terms of process, training, and reliance on outsourcing critical infrastructure. Compared to previous years it's a bit of a joke in terms of seller support, despite whatever protestations or promises are made in PR releases.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@retrosportsthings wrote:

In September I posted my auctions as I normally do on the last day of the month to take advantage of the 100,000K free listings.  About 7 days later I see check my bank account to see ebay took out close to $4000 in sellers insertion fees. This has never happen in the past, ever, i always list before the promotion runs out just in case the promotion not available next month. After calling ebay and telling them of their error , the agent tried to tell me there was nothing showing a free insertion listing for September, I'm like buddy i don't what your looking at but I can clearly see it in the overview section of my seller hub.

ebay 22.JPG

He then proceeds to tell me his manager said no sorry those are still valid fee charges, so then I ask to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor proceeds to tell me she clearly sees the promotion listing is valid and that she spotted the real reason why I was charged those insertion fees, stating there was a computer bot error (whatever that means) and that my fees are now being processed should be returned to your bank account in the next 5 business days.  I made the supervisor send me a message to my ebay in box and it has now clearly been over 5 business days as that was October 8th.

Clearly Ebay is no rush to give back sellers money they basically stoled from a customer, I'm not happy about managed payment system as I would preferred to see an invoice before they just take whatever they feel like out of bank account.

ebay23.JPG

Absolutely no sense of urgency to fix this problem as I've had sleepless nights thinking about this, I'm actually scared to even list anything this month.

I don't understand why I can't talk to someone in Canada to fix this issue,  I'm wondering if this has happen to anyone else or if anyone can direct to me to somebody who actually cares to fix this issue.

@retrosportsthings 

tyler@ebay 

Hello Tyler,

I realize you can't comment on specific cases but is there an actual procedure in place with ebay considering the dollar amount involved and the fact it "appears" to be 100% an eBay error.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

aw35-46
Community Member

it just happened to me, I paid for a 300ah 12v lithium batter for my Camper, as soon as I p[aid for it, I get a message from ebay saying they had kicked that guy off and it never showed up in my eBay account but I then checked my Bank account and I never got that $266.95 back so, in my mind, it is ebay scamming money out of us, then stating, they kicked the person off but, in reallity, it is eBay doing iy them self. I don't think that person existed on eBay, only eBay want you to believe that, meanwhile, teBay created that fraud person themselves. how can we get Ebay carged with these kinds of actions of fraud??? there must be a way!!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@aw35-46 wrote:

it just happened to me, I paid for a 300ah 12v lithium batter for my Camper, as soon as I p[aid for it, I get a message from ebay saying they had kicked that guy off and it never showed up in my eBay account but I then checked my Bank account and I never got that $266.95 back so, in my mind, it is ebay scamming money out of us, then stating, they kicked the person off but, in reallity, it is eBay doing iy them self. I don't think that person existed on eBay, only eBay want you to believe that, meanwhile, teBay created that fraud person themselves. how can we get Ebay carged with these kinds of actions of fraud??? there must be a way!!

You should start your own thread instead of tagging on to this really old one which was about a completely different situation.

If you used a credit card to make the payment any refund would go back to the credit card not your bank. If you used a bank account via PayPal the funds would go back to PayPal not your bank.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM OCTOBER 2021

The problems with zombie threads are  that the original problem may be significantly different, the advice may be out of date and no longer correct.

BTW, am I the only one wondering about the "have a blessed day" closing of the letter which purports to be from an eBay official?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 13 of 13
latest reply