Email to buyer, need advice.

I just looked at my feed back and a buyer stated that they had not received the order.  Well maybe it's because they requested to cancel the order through ebay and I did.  I called ebay and hopefully they will remove it.  Now the buyer is a newby (7) I was going to send them an email that they had cancelled the order but I also wanted to have a teaching moment for them without sounding too ....... 

What would you say to this newby buyer and I think I am going to block them as they have caused me enough problems.   

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Wait until you find out if eBay will remove it!

If they won't THEN try to convince the buyer to revise and use one of your revision allowance to officially request they revise.

If eBay does removes the feedback just forget about the "teaching moment".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

What a heck of a time I am having to remove this feedback.  I have spoken to someone and had 3 different ebay people get back to me through email.  They want me to negotiate with the buyer, WTH.  The buyer requested the cancellation through ebay.  I don't see what the problem is.  Transaction cancelled by ebay from request of buyer.  Then buyer is then stating a month later that they didn't get the item.  Give me a break.   It is the principle of the issue.   

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

OMG... don't let this one go. Keep pestering ebay to remove it. They are stating false information. They were refunded for a canceled txn... if they'd given NFB about having to wait for their refund, well, not much you can do about that. But NFB for not receiving a canceled order? Jeez.... don't let this one go! Escalate!
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

On my last email I told them to pass this up to the supervisor as I will be calling tomorrow.  This is just not right. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I just looked at my feed back and a buyer stated that they had not received the order.  Well maybe it's because they requested to cancel the order through ebay and I did.  I called ebay and hopefully they will remove it.  Now the buyer is a newby (7) I was going to send them an email that they had cancelled the order but I also wanted to have a teaching moment for them without sounding too ....... 

What would you say to this newby buyer and I think I am going to block them as they have caused me enough problems.   

Tough call on this one. Maybe someone with more experience than I can give some advice.

My only solution is to be upfront to the buyer and provide the date the cancellation was requested. Talk to the buyer and explain how the eBay process works.

This customer is just another in a long line of challenges.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Until the feedback issue is resolved, you can reply to it and now we have up to 500 characters to reply (and in original at least on .COM), so I would for sure reply stating that the buyer requested cancellation through eBay which you provided, that's why it was not delivered.

I for sure would block them, if they can't remember they asked for it to be cancelled, other transactions with them in the future would also likely have problems too. Perhaps I'm getting old(er) and grumpy(er) but I wouldn't bother with the teaching moment aspect.

I'm not sure but I don't think buyers can revise a neutral feedback anymore?

I am confused why eBay won't zap it when they can see that the cancellation request came through the proper channels....

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

"Buyer requested cancellation March 1/21 Refunded March 1/21" as a Response would be possible.

With or without removal of feedback.

Responses are usually not a good idea, because it is too easy for the Seller to get.... excited. But really a calm response that shows the Buyer to be an idiot is sometimes needed.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

You could message them, As per your request I cancelled your order with a copy/screenshot of the notification from eBay. They possibly ordered from 2 sellers and forgot who they cancelled with. Like they say the proof is in the pudding.... or email!

-Lotz

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I had emailed the buyer last night and she responded that she had left the wrong feedback for me, it was meant for someone else.  Ebay would not remove the feedback saying it didn't qualify for feedback removal (WTH) so I send her a feedback revision.   I am very disappointed in ebay customer service.  

Update, buyer revised her feedback so all is well.  

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

As a note, this is an example where I would unblock the buyer again.... if they're polite and willing to fix things up no reason to stop them in the future.....

It is very strange that eBay wouldn't zap the feedback given the VERY ample evidence that the person requested and received a cancellation in their own system which is well documented.

Actually there really should be a rule that the person can't give feedback at all when the buyer initiates the cancellation request which is honoured.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I did unblock the buyer.  She was super nice about it and gave me great feedback.  But ebay gets an "F" on handling this one.  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Actually there really should be a rule that the person can't give feedback at all when the buyer initiates the cancellation request which is honoured.

I thought there was a rule but perhaps there is not, maybe I'm thinking about non-payment transactions where theoretically buyer cannot leave any feedback or if they leave it before the non-payment strike is given it is an easy/automatic removal.

If you want to know why not just ask all the buyers who had sellers cancel orders (using Buyer Requested) when the buyer DID NOT ask to cancel. These would be more properly done as Out Of Stock cancellation or even the "I don't like your name, or your address, or your feedback profile or any of the other reasons why sellers cancel that are NOT "buyer requested" but those carry the mega-defect for sellers.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Hi @recped 

Yep I understand that, but in those cases the seller initiated the cancellation (it doesn't matter what "code" the seller picked). As I understand Music's situation, the buyer initiated a formal ebay cancellation request first, that should be very visible to the eBay support folks.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

I thought there was a rule but perhaps there is not, maybe I'm thinking about non-payment transactions where theoretically buyer cannot leave any feedback or if they leave it before the non-payment strike is given it is an easy/automatic removal.

If you want to know why not just ask all the buyers who had sellers cancel orders (using Buyer Requested) when the buyer DID NOT ask to cancel. These would be more properly done as Out Of Stock cancellation or even the "I don't like your name, or your address, or your feedback profile or any of the other reasons why sellers cancel that are NOT "buyer requested" but those carry the mega-defect for sellers.

Strangely though, eBay will send sellers reminder message(s) for cancelled/unpaid transactions no matter what the situtation was. Hypothetically what feedback would you even leave? Hmmmm?

-Lotz

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I had emailed the buyer last night and she responded that she had left the wrong feedback for me, it was meant for someone else.  Ebay would not remove the feedback saying it didn't qualify for feedback removal (WTH) so I send her a feedback revision.   I am very disappointed in ebay customer service.  

Update, buyer revised her feedback so all is well.  

I'm really glad this turn out well. 

Over 25 years in retail I've learned I've had very few nasty, spiteful or vicious customers. Many incidents are misunderstandings, mine or the company's fault or if a legit problem it's an easy fix and the customer who is angry feels remoresful afterwards.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

7 feedbacks does not make it an ebay newbie automatically...it also mean a scammer who got his account suspended and open another one to continue his businees. Just wish we (seller) could share our block user list...that will stop them.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply