Error creating shipping label through ebay

hashbay
Community Member

I’m a new Canadian seller and I'm having issues printing shipping label from within ebay. Called ebay 3 times and they said the matter should be resolved in 24 hrs. It’s been 2 weeks and I've sold 2 items already and ebay is asking me to pay postage at the post office till they rectify the matter. Problem is it’s $400 CAD shipping I have to pay out of pocket and don’t have the funds at the moment. It was supposed to ship Monday Sep 18, 2023. Shipping is from Canada to Spain. 

Error code I’m receiving:

“It was not possible to generate the label. Something is wrong. Please try again later.”

Service used: ebay.ca

Hardware/software used: 

- Macbook (tried Safari, Chrome, Firefox)

- iPhone (tried Safari, Chrome, eBay app)

Troubleshooting:

- tried several different couriers (FedEx, Canada Post) and same error generated

- tried shortening description of item in customs section (as another post with similar error said it fixed their issue) but error persists 

- tried different software/hardware combos but error persists

Box Size
Height: 11.25" (28.6 cm)
Width: 15.00" (38.1 cm)
Depth: 23” (58.4 cm)
Shipping Weight: 12.50 lbs (5.7 kg)

Thx to anyone that could help!

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

The size of the package is likely too large for the service that's been selected.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

@hashbay wrote:

I’m a new Canadian seller and I'm having issues printing shipping label from within ebay. Called ebay 3 times and they said the matter should be resolved in 24 hrs. It’s been 2 weeks and I've sold 2 items already and ebay is asking me to pay postage at the post office till they rectify the matter. Problem is it’s $400 CAD shipping I have to pay out of pocket and don’t have the funds at the moment. It was supposed to ship Monday Sep 18, 2023. Shipping is from Canada to Spain. 

“It was not possible to generate the label. Something is wrong. Please try again later.”

Service used: ebay.ca

Hardware/software used: 

- Macbook (tried Safari, Chrome, Firefox)

- iPhone (tried Safari, Chrome, eBay app)

Troubleshooting:

- tried several different couriers (FedEx, Canada Post) and same error generated

- tried shortening description of item in customs section (as another post with similar error said it fixed their issue) but error persists 

- tried different software/hardware combos but error persists

Box Size
Height: 11.25" (28.6 cm)
Width: 15.00" (38.1 cm)
Depth: 23” (58.4 cm)
Shipping Weight: 12.50 lbs (5.7 kg)

Thx to anyone that could help!

@hashbay 

You should be doing your measurements in metric. Always round up with your measurements. If a parcel gets audited which it most likely will with anything large you will get a revised invoice for shipping and you will not be able to charge customer any difference after the fact. Format is L x W x H 

You can see what services would be available at CP site to help you know what services to offer. Minimum for Canada would be Expedited. USA would be either Expedited or Xpresspost. Intl shipping would be extremely expensive. As per CP calculator the 2 options would be surface which can  take 6 to 8 weeks or more or Xpresspost. (13 business days...Guaranteed) eBay Labels will get you level 4 discount. Which would be much cheaper than buying direct from CP.

CP Calculator below. Xpresspost would be approx 200.00 +- with discount. 

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/tools/find-a-rate.page

-Lotz

Limit for insurance with Surface 100. Free 100 plus 2.75 per additonal 100 of insurance. 

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

I am using metrics when I input the info through the ebay shipping label page as it states cm and I use cm.

Like I said I've spoken to 3 agents who have walked me through it and I continue to get this error.

I'm using the format is L x W x H.

I understand CP's services as I've already received a quote through them directly/through their website/i person.

My issue is through the eBay shipping label page where I continue to receive an error when trying to generate a lable after selecting alln the appropriate options. Ebay customer support have observed this issue and said they would resolve it howeve it is taking too long - hence my thread in this community to see if others have experienced this issue.

Thx
Mo

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

I tried every service offered by Canada Post and FedEx through the ebay shipping label page and every option I chose gives me the error. No shipping option on that page works.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

I'm also getting this error. Contacted eBay and they said they'd resolve the issue, but still haven't. Still getting the same error. Did you find a solution yet?

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Okay I might have a solution: when you're in the print label page, click on the top right where it says "print bulk labels". You can still print just one label. It worked for me.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@hashbay wrote:

I tried every service offered by Canada Post and FedEx through the ebay shipping label page and every option I chose gives me the error. No shipping option on that page works.

Again, I'm pretty sure your package is too large. eBay probably doesn't allow oversized packages (but throws an error rather than actually telling you that) while the post office does (but charges huge amounts for it). That's probably why the quote is so high from the post office. You're likely being hit with a $200 or $300 out of spec surcharge.  Are you able to split the shipment up into two? Depending on the service, even reducing the largest dimension under 18" might do it.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@hashbay wrote:

Again, I'm pretty sure your package is too large. eBay probably doesn't allow oversized packages (but throws an error rather than actually telling you that) while the post office does (but charges huge amounts for it). That's probably why the quote is so high from the post office. You're likely being hit with a $200 or $300 out of spec surcharge.  Are you able to split the shipment up into two? Depending on the service, even reducing the largest dimension under 18" might do it.

According to the CP calculator without discount the measurements work for Surface and Xpresspost. As there are others coming across the same issue and eBay "says" they are aware of it and no issues on CP status page sounds like it is a definite eBay problem. The bigger concern is if others are having this issue, they are on a timeline to ship (with the level 4 discount). Not good if they are being penalized by system outtage by Ebay in several ways or having to cancel sales because of it. Definitely can understand a sellers frustration.

I have run across situations where an eBay listing omits services that are available if you were to use the CP directly. Again probably an International issue. eBay Labels still does not include the other services you can get with CP directly like oversized, COD if you wanted it, Shipping tube surcharge, unpackaged and there can be minor discrepancies in the final charges when you compare directly.

-Lotz

-Lotz

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Your weight and measurements are fine according to Canada Post.  If I am figuring out the length plus girth correctly, it is less than 2m so wouldn't be considered oversize.

You are  signed up for managed payments with eBay?  If that isn't finalized perhaps that's causing the problem.

You might want to check my reply to your second post on the .com discussion board.  I replied to your questions about insurance there.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

@clockworkolympics wrote:

Okay I might have a solution: when you're in the print label page, click on the top right where it says "print bulk labels". You can still print just one label. It worked for me.

I had this issue a few days ago. eBay labels returned error messages when I tried to create a shipping label. In the eBay support chat the eBay rep told me to use the Bulk Labels function as a workaround.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

I was tired last night and may have read meters as feet 🙂  It really does feel like a size issue to me though.

Still, things to check are to make sure you don't have it set to inches and are entering cm or something like that. Also make sure you get rid of everything in the size fields before entering them. Maybe you accidentally added something weird in a size field when you created the listing and it's being hidden.

You should also check the address and make sure there is nothing funky there. It's possible they entered something incorrectly and the autocomplete on Canada Post's website is suggesting the correct one but eBay's systems are simply trying to push through the wrongly formatted one and Canada Post is saying no.

I really don't think this is an error on eBay's end (although it could be). It feels like something wrong with the size, weight, or address. IMO the problem is just that eBay is throwing a generic error rather than telling you what you have to fix.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Thank you! You are a life saver. I've spent two days trying to figure it out with no help from ebay.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

dclaggs
Community Member

I've had a similar issue for a few days as well. The first time was a couple days ago and I just printed a label elsewhere.

I was able to purchase 2 labels for orders from the USA on ebay today until it happened a few hours ago.
I get a more generic error on my end. 

"Something went wrong. Sorry, an error occurred while loading the page. Please try again."

This error only occurs on orders outside of Canada, in this case from the USA. I've attempted to fufill multiple orders from the USA but they all encounter this error. If I try to purchase a label, edit the address, change the print format, or print in bulk they all throw the same generic error.

I've tried different browsers, my phone, deleting cookies, logging in/out. Nothing has worked so far.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

I'm having the same issue with labels for US sales.  The labels are much cheaper through eBay so it's frustrating that I can't take advantage of the discounts.   Are you able to print now? 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply

I printed the label through the bulk printing option, but it was a hassle because it wouldn't print the correct size.  The barcode is enough to scan, so I'll attach the label and then write out the addressee's information. 

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

I tried bulk printing last night and had no success, but I was able to print a USA label with bulk printing today.

I'm glad there is at least a workaround for now, since I still can't print the usual way.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

This is why I do not "automatically" pass the savings on to the customer, charge the regular rates, and refund shipping discounts "after the fact" when the shipping label is printed and I know precisely what eBay charged me for their special rates that day, hour or minute...

...the issue is the total weight field, when you reduce or change it you get this error. It has been going on for weeks and weeks, typical eBay.

Change no weight and you will be able to print the label, I use my Canada Post Account when I get this error.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

This is why I do not "automatically" pass the savings on to the customer, charge the regular rates, and refund shipping discounts "after the fact" when the shipping label is printed and I know precisely what eBay charged me for their special rates that day, hour or minute...

...the issue is the total weight field, when you reduce or change it you get this error. It has been going on for weeks and weeks, typical eBay.

Change no weight and you will be able to print the label, I use my Canada Post Account when I get this error.

@brettjet38 

devon@ebay 

When a listing is created the weight entered will always be an approximation. I've had no issue changing. The problem happens when the system (eBay Labels) is under the impression that the weight per unit with extrapulated math and the parcel weight are the same thing. This was never an issue creating a label with CP or Shippo. The 2 should display as entered and will/should never match. Item weight and package weight ARE different. They end up MATCHING when you print with no way to correct. As per explained previously that's how it always always actually worked for international courier shipments.....for years with a standard customs invoice when filled out correctly.

Standard commercial invoice - How it should look. Example 1.

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1695825205765.png

Example 2:

lotzofuniquegoodies_4-1695826670206.png

A commercial invoice, on the other hand, is a type of invoice used for international deliveries. It includes extra shipment elements such as country of origin, shipment date, the weight of the product, and more.

What we see/get with eBay Labels

lotzofuniquegoodies_2-1695825443373.png

Note: Country of Origin automatic incorrect default is CA/AB  - Canada/Alberta vs the actual country inputted. Information is therefore not correct as per what shipper is signing. 

Shippo Example: Correct

lotzofuniquegoodies_3-1695825779340.png

Note: Country of origin for goods displays correctly. (CZ) As per original input.

-Lotz

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

From the 'My eBay', go to the Orders drop down menu, and then click shipping labels.

You should be able to click the exact order, and it will bring you to a landing where you can either reprint or download your label.

If your label isn't printing at a usable size, the issue might be whether it is stuck on 4x6 or 8.5x11, and how that is working with your printer. If you download the label instead of printing it, you will get a PDF, which might give you more flexibility to mess around and troubleshoot.

For example, download the label and open the PDF. Try to print it from there. When the print dialogue opens up, click the 'More Settings' drop down (or whatever it is called on your computer) - you should get options like paper size, and scale. Sometimes, playing around with the scale will allow you to troubleshoot. Things like 'fit to paper' or 'fit to printable area'. 

In general, the easiest work around usually involves downloading the label as a PDF and printing from there. Or, switching to using a standard office printer (if you have one) and taping the label to the package vs printing through a label printer. It's a hassle, but a temporary solution when labels aren't printing properly on whatever service. 

Message 20 of 35
latest reply