Error creating shipping label through ebay

hashbay
Community Member

I’m a new Canadian seller and I'm having issues printing shipping label from within ebay. Called ebay 3 times and they said the matter should be resolved in 24 hrs. It’s been 2 weeks and I've sold 2 items already and ebay is asking me to pay postage at the post office till they rectify the matter. Problem is it’s $400 CAD shipping I have to pay out of pocket and don’t have the funds at the moment. It was supposed to ship Monday Sep 18, 2023. Shipping is from Canada to Spain. 

Error code I’m receiving:

“It was not possible to generate the label. Something is wrong. Please try again later.”

Service used: ebay.ca

Hardware/software used: 

- Macbook (tried Safari, Chrome, Firefox)

- iPhone (tried Safari, Chrome, eBay app)

Troubleshooting:

- tried several different couriers (FedEx, Canada Post) and same error generated

- tried shortening description of item in customs section (as another post with similar error said it fixed their issue) but error persists 

- tried different software/hardware combos but error persists

Box Size
Height: 11.25" (28.6 cm)
Width: 15.00" (38.1 cm)
Depth: 23” (58.4 cm)
Shipping Weight: 12.50 lbs (5.7 kg)

Thx to anyone that could help!

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Error creating shipping label through ebay

Thanks, this work-around helped me print some labels today.

I was excited about not having to bring packages to Chit Chats, but with the discounted Tracked Packet labels not printing, thought I might have to resort to doing that. 

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

You're welcome. I reported that issue about 10 days ago, and the eBay rep confirmed it, so it's sad to see that they haven't yet fixed it.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

Friday, 12 PM EST - still not able to print shipping labels. I am losing money, I am losing time. It's very frustrating. When will it end?  😑

Friday, 12.23 PM EST - an update! The "print labels in bulk" feature really works! Thank you guys for this useful advice!!  😃  LABEL PRINTED!!!! 😃

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Hi there! Apologies for this experience. Sometimes this error message shows up when there is something incorrect in the buyer's address or postal code. That's my first suspicion. I would suggest quickly reviewing to see if there are any typos or errors there (things like typing an uppercase 'O' rather than then number '0,' for example). 

Hopefully this helps! If you're still running into issues, let me know and I will run it up the chain. 

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

Sure, I know that problem, and always experienced it with customers from China or South Korea. But I was always able to find and fix the error. Today, I wanted to print a label to UK, with  a very simple address. The error message was still there. I switched to "labels in bulk", and suddenly everything went smoothly. This is a proof, that the typo was not the problem this time.   

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

As I mentioned above, this was not that case, but still thank you to mention this specific problem - new users might be not be aware of the issue with typos, or atypical letters in the address. It really happens quite often, especially when non-English letters are used (like é, or ę, ż. etc...). 

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

It seems it has been fixed. I just printed a nice shipping label to Luxembourg (not using the "bulk labels" feature). Even if a strange message appeared (see the attachment), everything went smoothly. 

IMG_2934cc.jpg

Image2.jpg

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

I printed one fine this morning also! 

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

This may be a seperate issue, but when I ship to Australia (and possibly other countries), when the label prints it sticks "CODE:PAID" line into the middle of the buyers address on the label itself. Really wierd anyone else have this problem?

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

@transtraders wrote:

This may be a seperate issue, but when I ship to Australia (and possibly other countries), when the label prints it sticks "CODE:PAID" line into the middle of the buyers address on the label itself. Really wierd anyone else have this problem?

That is to denote for customs when it arrives in Australia that eBay has pre collected (so customer does not pay for customs twice.) You can add it down below (near the portion you are confirming information is correct) as a back up. Applicable to any country where VAT is charged.

-Lotz

Message 30 of 35
latest reply

I am also getting the “It was not possible to generate the label. Something is wrong. Please try again later.” message.

I tried through print bulk labels. Got all the way through to the pay for label. When I clicked on pay I got an error message. It said look below for error. When I looked the error was "Something is wrong. Please try again later."

Pretty hard to figure that one out.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

I'm getting this exact error now, too for US labels (after ebay rolled out a change Monday morning). It was never a problem for me before. It's specifically a CP/USPS problem that started on Dec 4th. I was eventually able to generate a UPS label. I spent about 6 hours and spoke to 5 different reps trying to solve the problem.

I'm going back to using ChitChats. There's no reason why shipping labels should be this much of a headache.
Total joke!

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

I am trying to ship to the U.S. If I now have to print through Canada Post it is going to eat up a lot of profit. I have never used ChitChat. Is it a reliable / safe company?

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

I just looked at ChitChat and the closest drop off for me is 2 hrs. away. That option is out. Sure would like to find an alternative to trying to print labels through ebay.

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

@northof49leathers wrote:

I just looked at ChitChat and the closest drop off for me is 2 hrs. away. That option is out. Sure would like to find an alternative to trying to print labels through ebay.

@northof49leathers 

You can print with Shippo. Only difference is you would only qualify for whatever you have with a Solution for Small Business account. Standard is level 1 discount unless you have serious volume. You could use eBay calculated shipping. Just would need to make sure your apply discount is set to off in settings.

-Lotz

Message 35 of 35
latest reply