Fed Ex shipping rates

So since Fed Ex is now a fixed rate shipping option on Ebay Canada, how am I suppose to know how much to charge the customer? There is no Fed Ex shipping calculator on Ebay and since Fed Ex rates are very different (expensive) on their own website compared to its rates that you get in Ebay, it makes it virtually impossible to know.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Fed Ex shipping rates

Charge the rates FedEx makes public.

Your discount is nobody else's business.

You don't tell your customers how much you paid for the products you sell do you?

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Charge the rates FedEx makes public.

Your discount is nobody else's business.

You don't tell your customers how much you paid for the products you sell do you?

@reallynicestamps 

@sodabottle123 

The problem is a seller needs to know rates (generic or discounted before they choose to use a service. Difficult to offer flat rate when seller has no way of knowing where it is going to advance. Ballpark is taking your life in your own hands. As noted previously the calculator works for additional options in the USA, but is DOA for Canada (Fedex). We should have access to UPS too but there is no clickable link available. A seller can try the old please contact for rates ploy but majority of time buyers want to know now. Before they click buy it now. (Note: online 1 of rates  and ebay discounted rates are miles apart. A seller would be best, (if they knew) to offer some sort of discounted version to sway a customer.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

The problem with your response is that I would not sell anything on ebay if I actually put the rate that FedEx directly quotes from their website. For instance I just sold an item yesterday and it cost me personally $24.00 to ship using the Ebay FedEx label. The buyer paid a little more. It said that I saved 86% creating the label through Ebay. So if I bought the label directly from the FedEx site, it would of cost over $100.00. I got lucky this time, but you are playing with fire. Maybe the next time a person in Alaska or Western Canada buys my item and the fixed rate cost that I generally estimate is way off I am from Ontario and there is no way of knowing. A calculator only makes sense and there's not one included. With shipping rates going through the roof, I want to keep the rates as competitive as possible. I am not looking to make a profit from the shipping fees.
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

If it is nearly impossible to calculate the rate using FedEx, perhaps the best idea is not to use FedEx.

Just as you would price yourself out of business charging $100 for shipping a pop bottle, FE prices itself out of business by not making the price easily available.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

@sodabottle123 wrote:
The problem with your response is that I would not sell anything on ebay if I actually put the rate that FedEx directly quotes from their website. For instance I just sold an item yesterday and it cost me personally $24.00 to ship using the Ebay FedEx label. The buyer paid a little more. It said that I saved 86% creating the label through Ebay. So if I bought the label directly from the FedEx site, it would of cost over $100.00. I got lucky this time, but you are playing with fire. Maybe the next time a person in Alaska or Western Canada buys my item and the fixed rate cost that I generally estimate is way off I am from Ontario and there is no way of knowing. A calculator only makes sense and there's not one included. With shipping rates going through the roof, I want to keep the rates as competitive as possible. I am not looking to make a profit from the shipping fees.

The totally bazarro part of this is making an announcement about offering super discounted rates (not sure how long ago now) and then not including the calculations/calculator? Weird way to advertise a discount?

-Lotz

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@sodabottle123 wrote:

The totally bazarro part of this is making an announcement about offering super discounted rates (not sure how long ago now) and then not including the calculations/calculator? Weird way to advertise a discount?

-Lotz

I received a message from eBay (an admin) yesterday advising me that Fedex was fully functional for Canadian sellers.

In testing it is still only partially working. Unable to confirm what rates are being displayed (Counter or discounted), you are limited if you want to offer both CP/Fedex. Fedex only gives you a few of the available services to choose from. (You can only use a total of 5 options for US/Intl. Makes it difficult to show a comprehensive comparison.)

The optional eBay Calculator is still not fully functional. Calculator still omits the US zipcode field requirement for US shipping addresses for checking rates. (Actually includes a note "Destination optional"??? When would a destination be optional for checking rates?)  The dropdown at top for CP packaging does not match rates for the comparative CP prepaid available products. (Bubble mailers come in different sizes and regional/national flavours. 3 Prepaid Boxes each have their own unique size)

Have any Canadian sellers recently started to offer Fedex as an alternative option? Have you had any issues with billing? Are you dropping off or are you able to get home pick up for your parcels(free or with a charge)? Did you have any additional fees after the fact that caught you by surprise(customs, home delivery)?

eBay Canada Calculator Tool:

https://www.ebay.ca/shp/Calculator

-Lotz

devon@ebay 

Do you have any info you can add on the subject and how it relates to Canadian sellers? The orginal eBay Canada announcement was June 2022. Additional shipping options for US sellers was added to dot com in 2019.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

@sodabottle123 wrote:

-Lotz

I received a message from eBay (an admin) yesterday advising me that Fedex was fully functional for Canadian sellers.

In testing it is still only partially working. Unable to confirm what rates are being displayed (Counter or discounted), you are limited if you want to offer both CP/Fedex. Fedex only gives you a few of the available services to choose from. (You can only use a total of 5 options for US/Intl. Makes it difficult to show a comprehensive comparison.)

The optional eBay Calculator is still not fully functional. Calculator still omits the US zipcode field requirement for US shipping addresses for checking rates. (Actually includes a note "Destination optional"??? When would a destination be optional for checking rates?)  The dropdown at top for CP packaging does not match rates for the comparative CP prepaid available products. (Bubble mailers come in different sizes and regional/national flavours. 3 Prepaid Boxes each have their own unique size)

Have any Canadian sellers recently started to offer Fedex as an alternative option? Have you had any issues with billing? Are you dropping off or are you able to get home pick up for your parcels(free or with a charge)? Did you have any additional fees after the fact that caught you by surprise(customs, home delivery)?

-Lotz

devon@ebay 

Do you have any info you can add on the subject and how it relates to Canadian sellers? The orginal eBay Canada announcement was June 2022. Additional shipping options for US sellers was added to dot com in 2019.

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I can reach out and see if I can get an update to provide to you on this. 

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

devon@ebay 

In doing a follow up test for a low weight item using Fedex ground to a local address(same city) this is what the buyer would see.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1680107035875.png

Seeing the Fedex ground rate there would be zero advantage to buyer. Cost or speed(extremely long(nonsensical)  delivery window displayed, which includes 1 day handling). Please see original post concern from @sodabottle123 sent Dec 12, 2022 which still has not been properly addressed.

Thanks,

-Lotz

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

And yet some people think the postal service should be privatized.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

@reallynicestamps 

As noted above this is what happens when eBay "promises" to negotiate special shipping rates for Canadian eBay sellers.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

devon@ebay 

@sodabottle123 

The original concern goes back to Dec 2022 so this has been a thing for over 3 months. Sellers are still in the ongoing predicament not having a working calculator for their buyers.  I received the following message from eBay today on the subject.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1680553139436.png

If a fedex option is used by the seller will they(me and the buyer) see the discounted rate or counter? This is similar to the CP situation that has been in affect for years. The rate the buyer sees is counter with expedited getting thrown in even tho at the counter it is only available with business account. The seller is not able to show a discount because the discount varies for each service. (Yes, many sellers offer more than 1 service.) As a sellers to offer Fedex we need to know  what the buyers will see with a fully functional calculator. Last part of this we need to know if there will be any additional fees for residential pick ups and deliveries?

-Lotz

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

devon@ebay wrote:

@sodabottle123 wrote:

-Lotz

-Lotz

devon@ebay 

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I can reach out and see if I can get an update to provide to you on this. 

Hello devon@ebay 

It's 3 weeks later. Do we have any followup on this situation please? I know there are many others that would like to have this properly working. Thanks.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies. 

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

devon@ebay wrote:

@sodabottle123 wrote:

-Lotz

-Lotz

devon@ebay 

Hello devon@ebay 

It's 3 weeks later. Do we have any followup on this situation please? I know there are many others that would like to have this properly working. Thanks.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies. 

devon@ebay 

As a test I added the Fedex ground option to a new listing using the built in eBay Calculated shipping option shipping to my home. Casual observation the rate the buyer sees is non discounted. There is no buyer in their right mind that would choose that option over Canadapost. Are there any plans to fix something for dot ca sellers that has worked for US sellers for several (2 +) years. Being able to have access to a tool that shows the discount would/could definitely cause an increase in sales for Canadian sellers. (Important to remember the discount varies entirely on the service so 1 standard -% does not fit all.) 

eBay Calculated Shipping - What the buyer sees

lotzofuniquegoodies_4-1682267254247.png

eBay Stand alone tool view. CP - Canada

lotzofuniquegoodies_3-1682266935383.png

Ebay Stand alone view  - Fedex - Canada

lotzofuniquegoodies_5-1682267402474.png

As for testing the same listing  for shipping to the  USA that was a non starter. The link below buyers will never see unless they have stumbled across it by accident so they have no choice but to use the eBay's built in calculator. (The stand alone tool shows the discount. The listing does not.) From a sellers perspective due to the limited available options for Intl shipping (5) a seller is unable to add Fedex to the USA  if they wanted to show a comparison. Most important takeaway, what the buyer sees NEEDS to be the discounted rate working from the calculator.  Was the calculator ONLY intended as a reference for sellers? Not a fully functional tool for buyers? For any Canadian shipping tool to work a US zipcode IS a necessity. 

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1682266231074.png

-Lotz

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

Is Fedex still brokerage fees at the border? I think they are and that is why I don't use it - great discount or not, if they are charging those outrageous fees at the border the customer is going to be very angry.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 15 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

@rosscd57 wrote:

Is Fedex still brokerage fees at the border? I think they are and that is why I don't use it - great discount or not, if they are charging those outrageous fees at the border the customer is going to be very angry.

Keep in mind that a sale to a US buyer would have the taxes paid by the buyer at Checkout.  US buyers also have a duty-free limit of US$800, so for most eBay sales the possibility of brokerage charges on a FedEx Ground/Economy shipment from Canada to the US is pretty minimal.

Having said that, there's this:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Customs-duty-International-return/m-p/493438

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

Fedex brokerage fees are a percentage of the value of the package and the fees are big and they are charged at the buyers door. Pay them or the package will not be delivered. I have been forced to do this a couplel of times from eBay sellers in the US and it is damed upsetting.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

@rosscd57 wrote:

Fedex brokerage fees are a percentage of the value of the package and the fees are big and they are charged at the buyers door. Pay them or the package will not be delivered. I have been forced to do this a couplel of times from eBay sellers in the US and it is damed upsetting.

That may be how it works for FedEx Ground/Economy shipments from the US to Canada (although I've been billed after delivery, not at my door), but my understanding is that it works differently for FedEx Ground/Economy shipments from Canada to the US, largely because state taxes are not handled by US customs.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

devon@ebay wrote:

@sodabottle123 wrote:

-Lotz

-Lotz

devon@ebay 

Hello devon@ebay 

-Lotzofuniquegoodies. 

devon@ebay 

As a test I added the Fedex ground option to a new listing using the built in eBay Calculated shipping option shipping to my home. Casual observation the rate the buyer sees is non discounted. There is no buyer in their right mind that would choose that option over Canadapost. Are there any plans to fix something for dot ca sellers that has worked for US sellers for several (2 +) years. Being able to have access to a tool that shows the discount would/could definitely cause an increase in sales for Canadian sellers. (Important to remember the discount varies entirely on the service so 1 standard -% does not fit all.) 

eBay Calculated Shipping - What the buyer sees

lotzofuniquegoodies_4-1682267254247.png

eBay Stand alone tool view. CP - Canada

lotzofuniquegoodies_3-1682266935383.png

Ebay Stand alone view  - Fedex - Canada

lotzofuniquegoodies_5-1682267402474.png

As for testing the same listing  for shipping to the  USA that was a non starter. The link below buyers will never see unless they have stumbled across it by accident so they have no choice but to use the eBay's built in calculator. (The stand alone tool shows the discount. The listing does not.) From a sellers perspective due to the limited available options for Intl shipping (5) a seller is unable to add Fedex to the USA  if they wanted to show a comparison. Most important takeaway, what the buyer sees NEEDS to be the discounted rate working from the calculator.  Was the calculator ONLY intended as a reference for sellers? Not a fully functional tool for buyers? For any Canadian shipping tool to work a US zipcode IS a necessity. 

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1682266231074.png

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! Let me get this over to our Shipping team and I will be sure to share what insight they have. 

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Fed Ex shipping rates

I'm a Canadian seller, and recently tried FedEx when the ebay.ca online shipping invoice tool was down for Canada Post.  While waiting the for the invoice issue to be resolved I noticed that the Fedex shipping option advertised  a big discount at  $17.78,  which was cheaper than Canada Post's rate so I thought I would give them try.  Well, my final invoice from FedEx ended up being $23.18 or 30% higher than the amount on my shipping label invoice.  What's the point of quoting a rate online only to charge a completely different final amount ? I don't do business that way, so that's the last time I will use  Fedex. 

Message 20 of 25
latest reply