Fedex overcharged me once again

It's getting annoying it's the second time i pick fedex to ship because they offer a better price, then charge me higher than label sold. Most likely because their employees does mistakes on size mesurements. It was shipped with a 16in x 16in x 16in box i purchased from canadian tire, there was no mistake on my end on dimension. And my package was around 5kg, label offered up to 14kg without any increase in price. so it was not the weight. They sold me the label 22.91, then charged me 24.35. It's small amounts but that's very sneaky. Should not be acceptable and we literally cannot do anything when it happen 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

You can deduct it as an expense on your taxes...

It's why I NEVER use Fed Ex, extra surprises or costs for the Shippers and the Buyers...

Fed Ex

UPS

Never offered them to Buyers, never will...

The End

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

The listed outer dimensions of boxes are not always accurate to the exact CM. If you are concerned with not getting overcharged, you need to measure the final packed box and not go by the listed dimensions. 

In some cases, a few CMs can make a difference in terms of volumetric weight. Next time you print a label, play around by adding or deducting a CM to each of the dimensions. Once you get to something like 41x41x41 CM, adding or subtracting a few can make a difference. 

If you use calculated shipping, it's always a good idea to be slightly liberal with the measurement when you create your listing. While I am not saying human error with a sorter isn't possible, someone working at Canada Post or Fedex has no incentive to squeeze the measuring tape against the box and give you the most optimistic measurement possible. Given that this was only 2 dollars, it was likely a case where your box wasn't actually exactly 16x16x16 (41x41x41), and it might have been 42 or 43 CMs.

In a perfect world, we could squeeze the measuring tape as tightly as possible on our box and give the customer the cheapest possible rate, but the problem is that if the package gets re-assessed by someone who is going to be more liberal with the measurements and increase it by a CM or 2, we have to cover the difference, not the customer. So it's better just to take a liberal measurement in the first place assuming this is a scenario with calculated shipping or the customer asking for a quote. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

The listed outer dimensions of boxes are not always accurate to the exact CM. If you are concerned with not getting overcharged, you need to measure the final packed box and not go by the listed dimensions. 

MOST boxes actually list the inner dimensions, not the outer. I also find that quality control is usually a little lacking. Many boxes are a little bigger than what they state even on the inside. Always measure, take the largest point in each direction, round up, and add an extra CM.

Also, I'm not sure how Fedex does it (I refuse to use them), but if they use the same volumetric calculations that CP does, a 16x16x16 box probably exceeds 14KG volumetric once the outer dimensions are taken.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

MOST boxes actually list the inner dimensions, not the outer. I also find that quality control is usually a little lacking. Many boxes are a little bigger than what they state even on the inside. Always measure, take the largest point in each direction, round up, and add an extra CM.

Also, I'm not sure how Fedex does it (I refuse to use them), but if they use the same volumetric calculations that CP does, a 16x16x16 box probably exceeds 14KG volumetric once the outer dimensions are taken.

@rocketscollectibles 

@flipistics 

@ilikehockeyjerseys 

Also important to confirm when creating a listing it is either done in imperial or metric. Not a combination of both. Original message references 16 x 16 x 16 inches and "around" 5 Kg. If it was out either way it would directly affect the final applicable rate. With rounding up imperial would round up higher than metric. (Metric is more accurate/forgiving)

Testing 2 points in Canada (AB to MB) by Fedex Ground 23 cm x 23 cm x 23 cm

5 Kg  30.65

6 Kg  33.90

So charges will be revised with slight measurement inaccuracies. As a side if your final measurements work out to be more than your originally inputted measurements causing shipping charges to be slightly higher you can always slice and dice to get under limits. 

Boxing  hacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDFf7a9vTFE

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xaqlZtp-ipw

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I measured and it was 16in x 16in x 16in. I entered 41.5cm x 41.cm x 41.5cm to be safe. I always enter higher dimensions to be safe. It's either fedex employees doing mistakes or they do not respect rates shown on ebay. On ebay the label increase at 42cm and it does not even fit with the amount they charged me. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I've never sent anything by FedEx, so I don't know how it deals with GST/HST.  The charge that @rocketscollectibles is looking at is a smidge over 5% of the label charge, so the math doesn't really work out for GST, but could that extra be for some sort of incidental expense?

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

I measured and it was 16in x 16in x 16in. I entered 41.5cm x 41.cm x 41.5cm to be safe. I always enter higher dimensions to be safe. It's either fedex employees doing mistakes or they do not respect rates shown on ebay. On ebay the label increase at 42cm and it does not even fit with the amount they charged me. 

I wonder if they calculate using imperial or metric? It's possible they might be rounding up your "safe" amount to 17 inches. Also, could eBay be rounding differently for quotes than what Fedex charges when their automated systems measure?

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

It's possible they might be rounding up your "safe" amount to 17 inches

That's what i meant, i tested on ebay by adding dimension up until label increase and it does not fit with what they charged me. Like, i don't have the precise numbers i won't re do everything, but exemple at 17 inch the label turns $25, and they charged me $24 (while sold $22 for 16 inch). Numbers they charge do not fit with prices on ebay 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

FedEx OMG !!!!!!!!!! SHOCK  of my life yesterday when see eBay charged my credit card $171.95 for FedEx parcel that was quoted $18 when purchasing shipping via ebay.ca.  Does eBay have any responsibility for quoting me FedEx $18 then I get billed $171.95. Looking back March 25 2024 there was eBay/FedEx invoicing problem ..is it possible happened again?  

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Fedex has had its issues and I personally have not used in over 15 years but I would not "pick fedex to ship because they offer a better price" because cheaper is not always better. For myself,  I put my faith in service, reliability and what I know about the company standards and overall customer service,  moreso than cheaper pricing.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

Fedex has had its issues and I personally have not used in over 15 years but I would not "pick fedex to ship because they offer a better price" because cheaper is not always better. For myself,  I put my faith in service, reliability and what I know about the company standards and overall customer service,  moreso than cheaper pricing.

@mrdutch1001 

@rocketscollectibles 

I've used Fedex Air for years. Never had any major problems. You may pay more but its a premium service. Recently there is a supplier I use from time to time. They've hovered between Fedex Ground, CP and UPS. The quickest and most reliable deliveries were Fedex ground. When they were coming UPS they could show up anytime during the day. Fedex the window was very accurate. Because the parcels were bigger, with CP they would be dropped off with no type of door knock. 

The issues eBay sellers are having with Fedex is caused by bad programming and no way to easily connect with help because it's an intermediary with eBay. Once ebay sets something up there is little done to confirm everything is working how it should.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Over the past recent months, known issues with Fedex overcharging had been reported in discussion threads on both .COM and .CA, so one should have approached the useage of Fedex with caution....

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

Over the past recent months, known issues with Fedex overcharging had been reported in discussion threads on both .COM and .CA, so one should have approached the useage of Fedex with caution....

@mrdutch1001 

Suggestion as per eBay as a solution from Jan 2024.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1715823654460.png

Strange solution when you consider this announcement from eBay in 2022.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/FedEx-shipping-is-now-available-on-eBay-Labels/ba-p/48026...

• Save money by using the “Combine” feature to print only one label for multiple orders to one buyer. This updates on eBay’s end as well, informing your customer and saving you time and effort.
  • Enjoy discounts of up to 75% off FedEx Express® services, up to 35% off FedEx Ground® services, and a 100% discount on FedEx Express and FedEx Ground Residential Delivery Surcharges.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Moral of the story>>>never believe "everything" you see/hear/read on eBay....

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

Moral of the story>>>never believe "everything" you see/hear/read on eBay....

@mrdutch1001 

Sad to say but seems eBay Canada seems to get the majority of bad roll outs for new(already released dot com) features. And yes I have seen the posts on com about Fedex. Just not very good at addressing as they happen and correcting.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Happened again today!!!! Printed shipping label via eBay.ca Canada to US and offered FedEx for $18 ..total different shape and parcel size.  Fool me once shame on you never ever again will I pay $171.  

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Good news eBay reimbursed me FedEx charges thank you ebay!!! Casual sellers should be aware if use fedex for shipping go to their website to verify charges.  Remember if it looks too good to be true ..it probably is not.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

I have never once in over 2 decades used UPS or FEDEX to ship anything...

The End.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply