Final Value Fee CREDITS??

Transactions don't always go perfectly, and in the past eBay did not necessarily charge us when they went south.

That seems to have changed,

Refunds and credits

You’re responsible for final value fees whether you complete a transaction or not, but in some cases, you may be eligible for a final value fee credit. It’s your responsibility to request a credit if you feel the situation warrants it. Here are some situations in which you may be considered for a final value fee credit, and should request one:

If you qualify for a final value fee credit, we’ll apply the credit to your account.

In future, if our transaction cannot be completed, we have to actively ASK for the refund of the Final Value Fees.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@femmefan1946 

Could you post a link for that paragraph under 'Refunds and Credits'  please. When I click on some of the links highlighted in blue it specifies when we qualify for a final value fee credit but it doesn't say anything about having to request for it so it is confusing.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I think the verbiage came from this page:

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/fees.html

It's poorly written and I really doubt it means what the OP thinks it means.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Sorry to say, I've no idea of the answer to your question. The bullet points below are important to note though.

Quote:

Note: For managed payments transactions where eBay performed currency conversion and a refund is issued within 120 days of the original transaction, the exchange rate used at the time of the original transaction will apply.

You are not eligible for fee credits in any of the following situations:

• You refund the buyer outside of eBay (using PayPal to send money, for instance)
  • You issued a partial refund to the buyer
  • You or the buyer asked us to step in, and the case was closed with a refund to the buyer
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Those bullet points are the same points that have been in effect since forever!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Yes, experienced sellers are aware of these mostly long established policies ... those of short experience, and there are many following these boards may not be aware.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Hmmm this week I had a buyer request a cancellation (in Italian!) just after purchase via a simple ebay message, it was not a formal cancellation request and they had not yet paid.

I cancelled with reason of "buyer changed their mind". (Item was sold on .CA)

I got my variable FVF back automagically:

"We've notified the buyer that you cancelled this order. You're all set!

We'll credit the variable portion of the final value fees to you. You can apply it toward listing more items to sell on eBay." 

I also looked and found one on .COM a couple weeks ago and also got automagic refund and the same message for it.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

You are still on PayPal, the OP was referring to Managed Payments but I think they are misinterpreting what they read due to eBay's bad writing.

Under MP you never get charged any fees until the buyer pays so NPB's will never need a refund of fees.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Time to call the cavalry?  tyler@ebay 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I just registered for MP a couple of days ago and had to cancel an order yesterday. The email says "We'll credit the variable portion of the final value fees to you." There is a link, "See Cancellation Details", and it shows "Fee Credits" with a breakdown.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I think you're right that it is from that page.  It's an old page as it doesn't seem to have been updated for managed payments unless you click on that MP link so it isn't any type of new rule. Perhaps they wrote it like that just in case someone doesn't qualify for the fvf credit.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Time to call the cavalry?  tyler@ebay 

Hi @femmefan1946 - thanks for the tag! I can confirm that there has not been a massive shift in policy on this topic - it's written more broadly to cover those unusual situations in which a fee credit may not be given. 

In general, if you are using an eBay tool to provide the refund (say, refunding via an open INR, issuing a partial refund via a return request, cancelling a transaction) the credits are automatically issued as part of that process. 

The only time you should really need to contact CS for a credit is if it's outside one of those processes. The most common one I've encountered is giving a partial refund outside of an eBay request, or accepting a return outside of eBay timelines. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

degil-35
Community Member
Has anyone else noticed these major corporate **bleep**s have gotten so much greedier and more rotten in the last year than ever before. And it's all of them too, their service is **bleep**, their product is **bleep**tier, their resolution of issues is dog **bleep**. Hmm something smells like my ex girlfriend here...fishy.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Terrible I had to cancel and order to take care of a customer  and ebay stuck me with the fees. I net a buck or two off my sales lets keep sticking it the sellers.. Ps Dont get me going on the new listing veiws my sales complely tanked for the week uggghhh!

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@Anonymous When you cancel through ebay you should not have to pay final value fees other than the .30.   For example,  if you received $20 from the buyer and and the fees were $2.30 ebay would refund the buyer $2 and $18 would be refunded from your funds. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 16 of 16
latest reply