Forwarding packages through intermediary countries...

So I send packages to Russia a few times a year. They are going to a town near Vladivostok.

The general path is:

- Montreal (sea port)

- Moscow

- Destination town

I did one a couple of weeks ago that did this:

- Montreal (sea port - it was a surface parcel)

- Mississauga (on Nov 5)

- Ukraine (on Nov 😎

It now says it's being fowarded to destination, the Ukraine scan indicates it's "in transit".

My buyer is tracking it and got very concerned that it's in Ukraine when that's never happened before.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It could have gotten misrouted by accident.

Years ago before things were as automated as they are now, I sent an expensive package to Saudi Arabia.

The postal clerk accidentally assigned "SA" code to the package, which is South Africa, so off it went, one of the more dangerous countries!

Fortunately when it got to South Africa it was eventually successfully rerouted to Saudi Arabia, and I was very very fortunate that the buyer was very relaxed about the delay and gave me no problems.

(weirdly it went through customs in South Africa, and bounced around a wee bit before it got re-routed, I was freaking out the whole time)

It did eventually arrive.... so there is hope if that's what happened in this case!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Never encourage a buyer to watch tracking.

It will get there. It is on its way. It is going Surface so it will take ages.

Fortunately the Orthodox Christmas is around January 6, 2021.

There is very likely a mistake in there because it takes longer than three days for a ship to go from Toronto to Ukraine.

It 's like a typo. And it likely went by Air.

Although Toronto is a "sea" port, since the Seaway is not yet closed for the winter.

What is the estimated delivery date? Neither you nor she can do anything until that day passes.

Looking at a map, Moscow is as close to the Black Sea as it is to the Baltic Sea. And the Baltic ports might be closed by ice already.

One reason Putin invaded Crimea was to have a cold-weather port which is ice-free.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Never encourage a buyer to watch tracking.

It will get there. It is on its way. It is going Surface so it will take ages.

Fortunately the Orthodox Christmas is around January 6, 2021.

There is very likely a mistake in there because it takes longer than three days for a ship to go from Toronto to Ukraine.

It 's like a typo. And it likely went by Air.

Although Toronto is a "sea" port, since the Seaway is not yet closed for the winter.

What is the estimated delivery date? Neither you nor she can do anything until that day passes.

Looking at a map, Moscow is as close to the Black Sea as it is to the Baltic Sea. And the Baltic ports might be closed by ice already.

One reason Putin invaded Crimea was to have a cold-weather port which is ice-free.

It's a regular buyer, and he always watches tracking. The estimate date has passed, I sold these tokens to him when there were no packages to Russia. I had to give him an exemption to be able to purchase, but then he had trouble paying. He contacted me in October to say it's OK to ship his tokens (which was 4 kg), and by surface because it's cheaper, but his packages have previously gone by air on occasion.

AFAIK, you can't send a boat from Toronto to Ukraine, it's land locked. It obviously went by air (and I think the code is Kiev). The last tracking that updated late today says "in transit to destination". They aren't clear if they know it's supposed to be going to Russia.

I'm not sure where the Russia parcels arrive by sea, but the tracking always shows Montreal as the departure and Moscow as the arrival. It doesn't get scanned before Moscow, and then the last scan is his town.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

My wife once ordered something from SE Asia that went to Alaska and then somewhere south of the 49th before clearing customs in Vancouver and being sent on to its final destination on Vancouver Island. This was FedEx shipping, mind you.

I’m sure there’s a reason for what seems to be madness for your buyer’s item taking the path it’s taking and it’s way too soon to start worrying, especially given that neither of you can do anything at this point and it looks as though the item got a leg up by being transported by air mail.

Encourage your buyer to have a vodka and tonic.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Ukraine is no more land locked than Toronto.

It on the Black Sea which is connected to the Mediterranean by the Bosphorus.

It's why Russia wants it so badly as part of their new empire. Warm water ports.

Map-3-BlackSea.jpg

Both Toronto and Montreal are "seaports" although both are well inland from the Atlantic.

However the three days between Canada and Ukraine indicates air travel rather than surface.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply