Free shipping

I'm thinking of offering free shipping on a couple of my more expensive items and absorb the cost in my price to try and boost sales. The problem is I can select free shipping for Canada but when I try to set up the US for free shipping it gives me the option to put an amount in only. It will not let me type in a zero. So I guess all I can do it put in $1. My question is, when I go to print the shipping label can I be sure the extra won't get charged to the buyer? I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Free shipping

It sounds like you may have "calculated" shipping selected, if you change that to "flat rate" you'll be able to enter 0.00 or free shipping. It has been awhile since I last used that setup, but I think the 0.00 rate is highlighted in green on the shipping tab if I'm remembering correctly.

Note that it's possible use calculated shipping for Domestic while using flat rate shipping for International.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Free shipping

I don't understand why you can't type in a zero. Did you try 0.00?  I've done that in the past and tried just now and it seemed to work.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Free shipping

I offer "free" shipping on most of my listings for both USA and Canada.

The non-domestic one is just Flat Rate at $0.00.

I can then use Flat Rate for any other overseas destinations by typing in $19.99 or $2.03 or $59.82 or whatever I want.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Free shipping

I firmly believe that "free shipping" increases visibility, so it is worth your while to identify the way to end up with free shipping, it will help it sell. 

Virtually everything I sell is free shipping domestically (to Canada if on .CA and to USA/Canada if on .COM).

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Free shipping

byto253
Community Member

Just a note of caution with larger items, when you open it to the US, it may include locations such as Guam and Peurto Rico.  I have shipped to both with no problem as it is handed off to USPS but the shipping for larger items is higher than the continental US.    

I sold a couple of very heavy audio items recently and set shipping for the continental US and Canada only, with the following note": 

"Shipping is by tracked postal service.   The shipping is set for a flat rate for the continental US and Canada.  If from outside that area, please email for a shipping quote. e.g. Hawaii, Alaska Guam, Ruerto Rico. I am ok shipping there, but shipping will be higher. "

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Free shipping

@kristal4742 wrote:
I'm thinking of offering free shipping on a couple of my more expensive items and absorb the cost in my price to try and boost sales. 

On Free Shipping To The USA... It really really depends on what you sell and the margin you need

Hi @kristal4742 

I looked through your listings. Here are some observations. You sell vintage electronics and you don't except returns. It's important to know selling to the US whether you accept returns or not, will involve returns. You will have to pay for the return shipping.  Depending on what courier you use you may not be able to buy a return label.

For any reason the buyer decides such as "Can't get any stations where I live (This happened to me) you will have to refund the buyer in full and either abandon the item or pay for return shipping. 

If you live close to a border or have a 3rd party move your goods across the border you may be OK offering free shipping to the US. I don't have any of those services at my disposal. 

Another "disaster" is offering "Free Shipping" on "Make Offer" items.  someone told me not to try it and I did anyway. Wow! Was she right! What a waste of time that was! 

If you decide to go with FS to the US be sure you understand all the settings you need to make to exclude Puerto Rica,  Alaska & Hawaii. Just excluding them in your listing will not prevent them from purchasing. You have to adjust your Seller settings as well. 

Free Ship doesn't work with items of higher value unless you use expensive Xpresspost or UPS or a courier that collects signatures. 

I recommend testing the waters item by item and category by category.  My stuff is mostly one of a kind.  I found FS didn't benefit me.  I do try to present items that do have US competition at a lower price than the US sellers so the buyer's total including shipping isn't too far off.  Everything I sell has tracking & insurance. 

Are we at a competitive dissadvange? Yes. The good news is that US postal rates are going up considerably so the gap is narrowing. 

Good luck! Please post your results!

Thanks.

ITWM

For a very heavy large item say above 10 kgs I use UPS and offer a flat rate to the US.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Free shipping

Hi @byto253 

My experience is nothing you write "verbally" in a listing will prevent Puerto Rican buyers from purchasing (or anyone outside the contiguous USA). The only way to do that is to exclude Puerto Rico  in your "ship to" settings. This will clearly show up on the buyers end. Should a buyer there make a purchase you will need to cancel the order, deal with the buyer and contact eBay for assistance. 

That said, it doesn't hurt to write in a listing "Shipping is by tracked postal service.   The shipping is set for a flat rate for the continental US and Canada.  If from outside that area, please email for a shipping quote. e.g. Hawaii, Alaska Guam, Ruerto Rico. I am ok shipping there, but shipping will be higher. "

If it's simply written in your listing buyers will still buy it, eBay will still expect you to ship it at the advertised price causing the grief I experienced.  (With a xylophone!) ;>}

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Free shipping

@intimewithmusic   Maybe my post was not clear enough.  I set the shipping options for Canada and the Continental US only, so Hawaii, Alaska Guam, Puerto Rico, etc. are excluded from buying.  I do this in .com exclusions - screenshot below. I am ok with shipping to those locations, as long as the tracked shipping is covered.

exclusions.jpg

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Free shipping

@byto253 

Thank you for your message. I felt it was necessary to get it clarified because your direction didn't include settings. Business policies and Shipping Preferences can be complicated for part time sellers who may ignore the available settings or be unaware of them.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply