Funds on Hold for 30 days After Positive Buyer Feedback?

I sold a card on ebay. Buyer paid, I shipped with tracking within one hour. Updated tracking to ebay. Tracking shows delivered, buyer reports they received the card and left positive feeback about the purchase. Ebay is now keeping my funds on hold for 30 days because there was an apparent problem with the postal code. I have pictures of the envelope and the address is clearly written and perfectly matches the buyers shipping address. Plus the buyer received card within 72 hours so not sure how a postal code error was made. I spent literally two hours in online chat and then on the phone with ebay and in the end I am simply told the 'system' will not allow them to release the funds in less than 30 days because of the postal code issue. Which i dont get how it was an issue when it didnt prevent the card from being delivered correctly in a short time frame. Apparently there is no way to manually override the 30 day hold. To me, this is garbage. Combined with their now outrageous selling fees and this happening the value in using ebay is dwindling fast. Has anyone else had a similar issue and did it somehow get resolved? 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

recped_0-1675541237900.png

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816#se...

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

The fact that there was a lengthy absence from selling PLUS now selling high price item = payment hold regardless of any reason offered and/or provided by an eBay chat line person...

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

How many days ago was the item delivered?

I've been here 10 years longer than you and selling stuff consistently and I've been "holded" a couple times for items half the $$$ value of yours recently.

Mine were also 30 day holds, the packages were also tracked, and fortunately usually within 3 or so busness days of it showing as delivered the hold was dropped. The support folks don't always have/provide the right answers, hopefully you're still in the "3 day window" and it will resolve after that...

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

It can be a similar baffling procedure for INRs. Had 1 recently where item was sitting at postal outlet for 2 weeks. Item never got carded so buyer didn't know it was there and tracking was never   updated(ebay view).  They opened an INR. Was able to confirm the item had arrived at the local depot (By calling last sort point. They gave me the number for the local postal depot) . Called and they were able to send out for delivery the following day. Item did officially get delivered the next day with tracking confirming that. Buyer left feedback immediately but did not close INR case. eBay's MO are to wait and to continue to send warning messages to the seller. Buyer advised me they were receiving squatkiss from ebay.  In meantime got several eBay messages to update tracking or refund. The only 2 choices. Both major what the heck's!!! 1 Day after the window closed funds were released. 5 days after delivery.

As an FYI this item happened to be an Small Packet Air to the USA. Even though USPS does not show tracking the last sort center was able to see tracking details and see that it was at the local post office for pick up. That post office was able to confirm info also. As others have suggested the funds should be released by the tracking showing it has been delivered or the feedback. Not this wait and see approach. For both.... Sold listings and INR's. Totally different can of worms when item is still in limbo.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

deerfox416
Community Member

I'm dealing with this exact issue right now! Item received within 72 hours of purchase, happy buyer with a postive review AND I have a shipping receipt with the correct postal code listed. eBay refuses/say they can't do anything to help release the funds. SO frustrating and will be the last time I use ebay to sell/buy anything. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Your answer is in Post #2.

You are a new seller and your payments will be Held for up to 30 days.

Note that the customer can open a Dispute for 30 days after delivery under the Money Back Guarantee.

More important, are you registered for Managed Payments?

PP and eBay have parted ways, and without an MP account eBay cannot transfer that payment to your chequing account.

You need a chequing account in a Canadian bank, and secondary ID. I used my passport. DH used his driving license.

Be careful in choosing which bank you attach to your MP account. There seem to be ongoing problems with Tangerine.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

ferggg
Community Member

eBay sould be paying interest on the money that is on hold for 30 days despite the fact that the item has been received by the buyer and the buyer has left positive feedback indicating that there is no issue with the purchase.  eBay has a number of ways it is committing unjust enrichment and this is just one of them.  Another means of unjust enrichment is charging a fee on the cost of shipping desite the fact that legitimate shipping costs can easily be calculated.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

It is an eBay policy and as such ALL these rules and policies you agree to as a seller on this platform and has nothing to do with conspiracies such as  "unjust enrichment "

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

If you are going to be a shill for eBay, perhaps you should research the meaning of “unjust enrichment” and “conspiracy” because it is clear that you are ignorant of both terms.  Fact:  eBay now charges a fee based in part on the legitimate costs of shipping.  That is unjust enrichment, plain and simple.  Fact: eBay charges a fee based on the simple fact that the buyer’s address is in a different country than the seller’s.  Again, there is not justification for it.  It is simply an extra money grab without reason.   It’s unconnected to sales and is arbitrary in nature.  Finally, this 30 hold that eBay imposes -  despite the buyer leaving positive feedback and indicating full satisfaction and being fully prepared to release the funds - is being pooled with all the other money that eBay keeps on “hold”.  Can you imagine how much money is in that perpetual pool of funds?  Do you think those millions and millions of dollars are just sitting there year in and year out and not generating interest for someone?  If it isn’t, it should be and that interest, no matter how insignificant as it relates to the transaction, should be paid out to seller for the inconvenience.  My recent sale was for $21K of which eBay took more than $1700.  I note that eBay took its cut right away. The unjustified 30-day hold has prevented me from investment opportunities.  In the final analysis, you are correct.  If one does not accept eBay’s rules, one can simple do their talking with their feet.  I’d love to see a class action against eBay for some of their unfair billing practices but chances are that’s not going to happen.  Most likely, sellers will leave when it becomes unprofitable for them or they find a more equatable trading platform.  I’ve been a member since 2000.  It has really gone downhill in recent years.   The overall quality took a turn for the worse since 2008.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Well since one of your conspiracies is that I am "a shill for eBay"...let's argue some more about your "unjust enrichment" conspiracy...remember PayPal? I do believe as longtime sellers on eBay we were well acquainted with the fact that there were International PayPal transaction fees so in essence those PP fees were based on country of buyer, therefore as eBay's payment processer back in the day,  there was "a fee based on the simple fact that the buyer’s address is in a different country than the seller’s."...

you have been a member since 2000...so what? that is irrelevant...(I have been a member since 2001)...

Fact is we both know eBay IS NOT what it was 20 years ago...big deal!...nothing is the same as it was 20 years ago!!

and a lawsuit is one of the most laughable ideas that gets banted about on this site multiple times a year for the past many many years....

and as to the statement"Most likely, sellers will leave when it becomes unprofitable for them or they find a more equatable trading platform."...most any business whether B&M or online, will take those very same steps=that's nothing new and it is always the most sensible thing to do!

as to eBay's policy of payment holds...been there done that! (3 years ago)...a very simple process>>accept,adjust,adapt and carry on!

C'est la vie!

Que sera, sera!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

ferggg
Community Member

"A lawsuit is one of the most laughable ideas that gets banted about on this site multiple times a year for the past many many years..."   It's laughable until it's not... and hope springs eternal!  Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing eBay forced to repay some of its ill-gotten gains (if that's what they are).

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

ferggg
Community Member

btw, it's "bandied about", not "banted about".😉

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

good luck with that!  oh please be sure to come back with news of a said successful lawsuit whatever year that "happens"... (since there have been no sellers return to the forums on either .CA or .COM with any such news ...) LOL!LOL!LOL!

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

You know I will.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic.

The subject has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Thanks for your understanding!

Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 16 of 16
latest reply