Has anyone else had this happen?

A couple of hours ago I got a Paypal payment for some yarn, plus the shipping cost. No confirmation from eBay, so I waited as they are sometimes late. When it didn't arrive I checked my eBay, and there is no transaction showing. I went onto the listing, and it is still showing as available.

However, the buyer has paid for it and the postage. I phoned eBay and they told me I could mail it, but I would have no protection if someone had made the payment other than the actual buyer. I was told to phone Paypal tomorrow.

I have never had something like this happen before. I am wondering if the buyers account has been hijacked.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @triber - while it is very rare, I have seen this happen in the past. Something during checkout hiccups and one party gets the info but not the other (sometimes we have all the order details but PayPal doesn't have record of payment even though your balance has increased, etc). 

I'm glad this got taken care of for you, but in the highly off chance that it happens again, when you phone CS ask them to check to see if a 'Transaction Cache Reset' is appropriate. If the error was on our end, that will shake things up and get any stuck gears working again. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

is the transaction showing in your paypal account?..

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yes it is, but the item is showing as unsold on eBay. The strange thing also is that this notification from Paypal only came through on my Windows mail but not on my Google account.

It certainly appears very fishy.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I think that eBay is currently a glitch in the making.

I've been seeing some weird things this afternoon and they're a lot like what you just described.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I think that eBay is currently a glitch in the making.

I've been seeing some weird things this afternoon and they're a lot like what you just described.

Thank you, I hope that is what it is. I don't feel comfortable mailing the package, the payment could be cancelled if it is not legit.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I phoned eBay and they told me I could mail it, but I would have no protection if someone had made the payment other than the actual buyer.

What protection do you have on this from Paypal?

PP has good Buyer Protection, but as far as I ever bothered to learn, thier most useful Seller Protection is that the buyer pays return shipping if the item is Not As Described. Like eBay, the seller's tracking is the Not Delivered protection.

Many buyers don't realize they have three levels of protection buying here: eBay, Paypal, and their credit card. 

For sellers? Well, it just hasn't come up in my personal experience.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Does the paypal payment look like a normal ebay payment (ie it should have the item number in it)?

I ask because if it does not it is possible that the buyer is attempting to buy it "directly" instead of through ebay. They may have had ebay problems, been kicked off etc.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yrs, it does look like a normal Paypal payment, but it does say "Paypal shopping cart payment".

My question is, how can Paypal send the invoice when the item has not even been purchased, it is still in my store? I will be calling Paypal soon, something is a bit odd here

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I checked my ebay payments and they say: PayPal Shopping Cart Contents.
I couldn't find any that said paypal shopping cart payment.

I checked PAYPAL payments from other non ebay sites and none of them say anything about shopping carts.

In my experience PAYPAL are likely going to tell you it is an ebay problem and to call them.....and as you know ebay tells you to call PAYPAL...it will be interesting to see what they say!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Paypal says that it has to be an eBay transaction. The buyer signed in as a guest, but it should still show. They said that as the money is in my account, I should mail it. Of course, they reminded me that I should add the tracking #, I explained that it would cost a lot more to mail it that way.

I closed the listing in my store, so I think everything is alright. Paypal guy said that it is a genuine payment, nothing fraudulent that he could see, and I have to agree with him that not many people would do a fraudulent payment for pink fluffy yarn!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

It is good that things worked out, and PAYPAL was very helpful!

There sure seem to be a lot more weird things happening in the last couple months.....
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I agree, the rep. on Paypal said he had never seen this before.

I still don't understand why this notification came up on my Windows mail and not on my Google account. Everything that is on my Window mail is ALWAYS on my Google account also, that is why I opened it so that I have a back-up.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @triber - while it is very rare, I have seen this happen in the past. Something during checkout hiccups and one party gets the info but not the other (sometimes we have all the order details but PayPal doesn't have record of payment even though your balance has increased, etc). 

I'm glad this got taken care of for you, but in the highly off chance that it happens again, when you phone CS ask them to check to see if a 'Transaction Cache Reset' is appropriate. If the error was on our end, that will shake things up and get any stuck gears working again. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I believe that I saw a couple of reports about the same thing on the US boards yesterday so it does seem to be affecting others as well.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Sold-listing-still-active/m-p/30075726

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thank you Tyler. I think the rep. on eBay checked very carefully for me and was very helpful. If it happens again I will know to have a 'transaction cache reset" done.

I appreciate your help in this.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply