Has anyone shipped to Germany since the VerpackG Packaging Act?

I read here earlier in the year about Germany's Verpack G (Packaging Act) that was staring July 1, 2022 and that sellers would need a valid LUCID Registration. While I have shipped to Germany several times in the past it was not enough to investigate the registration any further, and I was trying to keep internation selling down since the VAT taxes anyways.

This morning I had a seller from Germany  message me that she really wants to buy something and is asking if I would consider shipping to Germany. Just wondered if anyone has tried shipping to Germany without this LUCID Registration or if I'm best to just leave Germany blocked since I'm not registered. Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I haven't and it's a shame. I have regular buyers there but not enough to register.  This change appears to be a small part of a bigger picture including;

*Other European countries coming onboard with new import restrictions and

*eBays replacement of the GSP with the new program "eBay International Shipping". 

The reason the EIS is relevant is because eBay will need to incorporate the EU countries including Germany, France and the UK into that US program. They can't really do that without circumventing the new import requirements. 

Based on your volume and what you sell you have to decide for yourself if you want to register. It has had an impact on me however not a big enough one to go it alone and register. I think your best to focus on markets you can sell to normally. 

This is a bigger problem for eBay than for us. I'am waiting for them to fix it in the US during their transition to eBay International Shipping.

In the meantime my answer to the buyer would be a polite "No Thanks". As an alternative you can suggest they find a freight forwarder in Canada registered to ship the item to Germany.  I haven't arranged  that myself but have seen buyers do that. I think they have to add the forwarder's address to their own eBay account and use it as the shipping address. There are other threads here about that and it can be risky. I would not recommend assuming any liability.

The last mention I have seen made by eBay came from Griff in the Oct 11, 22 eBay For Business podcast. Here is what he said;

"Griff: I know there's a lot of sellers after the German Packaging Act looked at their sales, realized they weren't selling that much into Germany and just excluded Germany from their list of countries. I suppose that's always an option as well. And if you listen to the podcast, go back past episodes, it's actually a two step process. It's not that difficult to do. Each shipping policy that you create has an exclusion list. You can add any countries that you like to that exclusion list. But if you use GSP and I assume moving forward eBay International Shipping, you need to check in your shipping preferences for the setting that says override your exclusions for GSP and make sure that box is unchecked. Unchecked. Anyway, you can hear that in uh, past episodes on the topic. Or if you have any questions, just send them to podcast@ebay.com. "

Good luck with that!

IT

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for your response IT! I had told her I didn't ship to Germany since I was not registered with Lucid and she had messaged me back that "there is a lot of confusion" about the act and that it only applies to commercial sales, not if you send as a private person.

I am still not going to take a chance, since my understanding is as soon as we are selling through eBay, eBay charges the VAT taxes and such so we are no longer a "private person". 

And as you say Germany is not alone, there will be others with similar Packaging acts, just reminds me why I'm only shipping to Canada and the US!

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Not sure what you sell,but lettermail going to Germany as usual.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I did not register. Have shipped 3 times to Germany since July, one letter mail, two packages and have not heard a peep from my buyers or their gov't or eBay. Not yet anyways. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I have not registered either. I did send one order to Germany recently but it was lettermail so didn't worry about it, just mailed it as usual. I don't get many orders from Germany.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I mostly sell dolls/Barbies so lettersize wouldn't work for them but I guess could for the clothing. 

Looks like a few have sent normally as lettermail without an issue which is good to know. Thanks to those who have responded! 😊

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

One must keep in mind, that doll clothing does not qualify as "lettermail"/"oversize letter mail" for shipments outside Canada/International destinations ...lettermail has "no value" attached to it and therefore risky if you are shipping "goods"that may get opened by customs,maybe subject to confiscation, returned to sender,etc,etc..

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yes, that is what I have told the customer, it can't travel as lettermail regardless of how many times she has received items that way. She was asking if I might "change my mind", but I have not!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

easy to glorify/romanticize International Sales when you don't have skin in the game (RE: eBay Open 2022 - eBay Canada presentation) 

stick to Canada & USA, maybe UK & Australia as well if you wish to

the marginal international sales are not worth it...until there is a GSP made available for Canadian sellers that is

untill then, a kind reminder that we have the largest consumer market in the world right across the border and it is easy to access it competitively when using freight forwarding services leveraging the USPS network

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I shipped a "letter" a few days ago. Removed the Ebay logo, disguised it as a personal letter. That's sad we are forced to play that silly game ....  🙄

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Confusion maybe but "Surgery is a piece of cake unless it's you going under the knife!" I wouldn't ship there for now either. Besides UK, France & Germany there's also 3 more countries unavailable due to war. I think the effect on the major online platforms is massive and growing. 

On the bright side I've had no issues shipping to other overseas points including Australia and South America. using proper precautions.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

ct-v
Community Member

Has anybody had any experience shipping to Germany recently? Personnaly I stopped shipping there since the VerpackG was established last year.  However I recently created a new shipping policy and mistakenly made it available to all of Europe. Today someone from Germany bought an item from me. I will probably have to cancel the order but before I do that I would like to know if this VerpackG is really stricly enforced.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply