How to buy a return label on Shippo. Is this possible? If not, how to buy one?

Has anyone used Shippo to send a return label lately? Tried inputting info to buy a return label from US back to Canada. Followed instructions but could not get any rates. Checked Shippo's FAQs and they say return labels not available at this time. I thought you could do one on Shippo?

So, how do you buy a return label to send to someone in the US?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

The one time I had to do this I used PirateShip to purchase USPS postage via their "International Export Rate". The website accepts Canadian credit cards.

I followed the instructions as outlined in this YouTube video. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

You can try phoning Pirate ship but last year when I contacted them to buy a return label I was told they no longer serviced Canadians. Not sure if that's their policy today. 

Buying a USA-Canada return label from Shippo is easy. There is one thing you have to be careful of. The label you buy will expire in 3 days. IE: If you purchase it on Novemeber 20 the package must be shipped by November 23. I recommend 2 steps prior to buying the label. 

1. Before you buy the label confirm the expiry time with Shippo via their CHAT. Confirming via phone is OK but you won't have a record of the call. You need to be sure the CSR knows what they are talking about.

USA-USA return labels have a 7 day expiry date. When a Canadian calls they may forget the 3 Day limit to Canada and tell you it's 7 days.  Depending on how your Shippo account is set up you may also want to figure out how to pay for the label. IE: Credit card or Paypal. Manually generated USPS return labels will not be synced to Ebay.  Pretty sure you have to cut and paste the customer's return address and possibly yours too.  

2. Before you buy the label contact your customer using the Ebay messaging service for proof. Ask them if they can ship the package within the 3 day limit on the label and get it scanned in.  Set up a label purchase day with them at their convenience. Most people are cooperative. If they let the label expire or  abandon the package on a counter without a scan you may end up back where you started. 

When you receive the USPS label from Shippo you can double check it. It should have the expiry date printed on it. IE: If you buy it on Nov 20 the date on the label reads Nov 23. 

I've only had to do this once and didn't have any problem. 

Good luck!

ITWM

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Last i checked Shippo doesnt support return label service for Canadians.  I just buy the label at full price and send it via ebay messages, rare 1 in 1000 sales I need to send a label so its not a big deal.  If it was more often I would possibly rethink your business plan.  Limit international sales or limit risk only selling items under say $50 international. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

You can try phoning Pirate ship but last year when I contacted them to buy a return label I was told they no longer serviced Canadians. Not sure if that's their policy today. 

Bad customer support advice. What they do not do are labels for parcels being mailed from Canada.

From the Pirate Ship FAQ

Pirate Ship only offers postage from the United States Postal Service® and UPS® originating from United States addresses.

It will work if shipping to Canada from a USA address. I know someone who did it earlier this week (USPS label). Payment does have to be in US dollars.

-;-

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

You don't technically buy a return label. You have to buy an entirely new label. The cost is the same, but it's a hassle since you have to manually put in the information.

You sign into Shippo, and in the top right corner is a green button that says 'Create Label'. You place the buyer's info in the 'From' and your info in the 'To'. 

Unless the buyer is going to repackage the item in your original packaging, you also might have to ask them for the dimensions and weight. Usually, it is pretty easy to estimate this if they use your original packaging. 

I haven't used Shippo in a long time, so I don't even remember the format the labels download into. If you need a .JPG of the label to upload in a return case, and if Shippo uses PDFs, you can use the "Snip & Sketch" app on Windows to quickly and easily make a JPG out of the PDF. Just load up the PDF full screen, snip it, and save as a .JPG. 

Maybe there is a function to buy a return label that I am missing. The above is a hassle, but it is a way to do it.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@dinomitesales @ypdc_dennis 

Help please! I have signed up with PirateShip and have a label made and downloaded it as a photo and as a PDF file. When I go to my email to answer my buyer and try to attach the photo or the pdf file I get a message that says "One or more images did not upload due to size or resolution or file type limitations".
How do I send a copy of the label to my buyer please?

I am assuming I have to send this through eBay so that they see I have done so. Maybe there is another way? They have not opened a case.

thanks!!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Are you trying to send it from within your email client, or from within eBay itself?

I assume the buyer has already opened a return request in eBay? If you go to the details on the return request there should be a spot where you can add a message, or upload an image/file. Is it giving you an error when you do that too?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@dinomitesales 

They have not opened a return request through eBay. I was trying to just send it to my buyer when replying to her email that she sent through eBay. Am I covered if I send it to her direct from PirateShip and note  the tracking number in my message to her?

Never had to do a return before.

edit: I won't have her email address will I in order to send the PDF file direct from Pirate Ship! How to get her email address?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

If they had opened a return it is important to send the label through there.

You can ask them for their email address since you are already in a transaction...ebay allows that.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:.

Help please! I have signed up with PirateShip and have a label made and downloaded it as a photo and as a PDF file. When I go to my email to answer my buyer and try to attach the photo or the pdf file I get a message that says "One or more images did not upload due to size or resolution or file type limitations".
How do I send a copy of the label to my buyer please?

What format is the image?  

.JPG or .PNG should work for a message attachment

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis 

Hi Dennis, it is a pdf file so when I downloaded it (both into my documents and my pictures) it still shows up as a pdf file and I don't know how to change it to a jpg. I imported it into my old adobe elements but even it won't allow me to save it as something else.

I asked at Pirate Ship, they said I could only download as a PDF.

If i just send it to my buyer's email as a pdf I think I am still covered if she then opens a case or chargeback? I will have the tracking number, right? That should be proof that I sent the label to her?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

pdf2png.com is one of several free websites that lets you convert a PDF into a PNG file.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply