How to set expected delivery date?

I keep having problems with American buyers because the expected delivery dates set by Ebay are always way earlier than the actual delivery dates, no matter what shipping service I select. Apparently, the expected delivery dates Ebay offers to my American buyers are even earlier than those offered to my Canadian buyers. What gives?! And is there a way I can set my own expected delivery date? Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to set expected delivery date?

Since you are using flat rate shipping for the USA, use one of the generic options like: "Economy Int'l Shipping" to extend the delivery time range.

Generic choices are on the shipping menu below the UPS and FedEx options.

-;-

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

all you can do is add days to your handling time..

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I see you are located in Toronto as well

Consider using freight forwarding services like Chit Chats or Stallion Express.

They basically truck your parcels across the border and integrate them in the USPS network.

Much much faster and cheaper than Canada Post, no customs delays, was a life changer for me, I get praises from US buyers about shipping speed all the time.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Since you are using flat rate shipping for the USA, use one of the generic options like: "Economy Int'l Shipping" to extend the delivery time range.

Generic choices are on the shipping menu below the UPS and FedEx options.

-;-

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I always do that, I also tell each buyer that shipping from Canada to the US can take up to 28 days, I am amazed at how many reply and tell me not to worry, they understand and are content to wait.

I ordered my shipping supplies form eBay a few days ago, and checked on the tracking today, it has not been shipped yet, and the expected delivery date is Jan. 31st. So I don't see how we can expect to get  our mail to the US any quicker when eBay can't get our package to us for over 3 weeks!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I wouldn't use the eBaysuppliesstore as an example of good selling practices.

contrary to what some people would lead you to think , the vast majority of American buyers are very reasonable and it's a pleasure to deal with them. [cough cough "Americans are addicted to tracking", "Americans are xenophobic", "Americans only buy from eachother" type of comments we often see on these boards]

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

And I'm one of those nay-sayers.

Most Americans are just fine but we really have to be prepared for the "others". 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Most of my buyers are American, my listing are mostly easily accessable in Canada. I have rarely had a problem with my US buyers, bad problems with a Russian and an Australian buyer, but really very few problems in all. I think correspondence is very important. I actually have several wonderful buyers who have become really good friends after 20 years, some still purchase from me on eBay.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Good morning

Just now spent some nice time with an Ebay agent that tells me it is Canada Post determines the estemated deliveries times for each mailing. ? 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@labellea wrote:

Good morning

Just now spent some nice time with an Ebay agent that tells me it is Canada Post determines the estemated deliveries times for each mailing. ? 

Yes, eBay always uses the delivery window that Canada Post gives them, it is adjusted to match your handling time. If you want to extend the delivery estimate use a generic service (Standard Economy) instead of a named service. If you do that then eBay does make up the delivery window and it will be longer than using a specific named service.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply