How would you handle this?

I'm wondering if any experienced sellers have ever set up a "swap" transaction on eBay, and how you would do it?

I've had a proposal presented to me by another seller, who wants to exchange a few items I'd be interested in for the same number of items of mine that she is interested in.  Value-wise it's a fair swap. 

I'm thinking that if each of us set up an auction for our items at a mutually agreed time, starting at, say $0.99 with a BIN of, say, $1.50, (and with free shipping), that, if necessary, we could each cancel any other bids that happened to occur.  The auctions would have to have the shortest possible timeframe -- 3 days is the shortest, I believe (I don't run many auctions).

The alternative would be for each of us to create a Fixed Price listing, of say, $1.00 with free shipping, the title consisting of the other's eBay ID, and just one generic picture.  The description would contain only a notice that the listing was for that particular eBayer.  The risk I can see with this is that if someone else picked up the item before the intended purchaser did, we'd have a big problem.  I have  used this approach for my custom listings, but not for a "swap".  BTW, I've been told by an eBay staffer that they no longer want ordinary sellers using "Exclusive" listings -- too bad, that used to be the easy answer years ago. 

I want to try to protect both of us from undue difficulties or trust issues.  My inclination at the moment is to use Plan "A" (mutual auctions).  Any other suggestions?  I don't really want to do this outside eBay, for various reasons.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: How would you handle this?

Sorry, I just checked, and I see that 1-day auctions are possible -- even better.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

I know what id' do, but you've said you dont want to do that.  

Don't see the point in what you are doing.  The deal goes badly, so you are going to make a paypal claim to get your $1 back?  If one of you hammers fb, the other can do it back on the other transaction.  Don't see the point in doing that to make it ebay legit ether, still avoiding fees by doing the undervalued transaction

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

That is far too much thinking for me. either go full value, or, what is the point of the listing?

How about you each mail to each other as a gift?

Photobucket
Message 4 of 45
latest reply

"how you would do it? "

The trade has nothing to do with eBay.

KISS

You mail your stuff to each other without any exchange of money.  It is that simple.

There is no point whatsoever in having both eBay and PayPal participate in that trade and get their share of an exchange when no money changes hands.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

You mail your stuff to each other without any exchange of money.  It is that simple.

There is no point whatsoever in having both eBay and PayPal participate in that trade and get their share of an exchange when no money changes hands.

Thanks to all for your replies, much appreciated. 

Pierre, I would go the route you suggest, but there's a practical problem -- eBay says it does have to do with eBay because this member contacted me through eBay messages (after viewing my listings). 

So, of course, eBay deleted my message when I attempted to pass along my email address (even in "stealth" format -- those bots are smart).  It's ridiculous, but I don't think I have any way of directly dealing with this person outside of eBay.  I wonder if a phone number and/or address would be verboten?  I might try it.

The other concern in just mailing our items to each other is mutual trust.  I don't want (or need) to use tracking, and I doubt she will -- these are fairly lightweight, and not high value items -- so there would be no way of providing proof of mailing (or of delivery).  And neither of us knows the other, so there's no trading history or commercial relationship to rely on. 

My thanks to 'toby' for the following: "Don't see the point in doing that to make it ebay legit ether, still avoiding fees by doing the undervalued transaction".  The fee avoidance issue hadn't occurred to me at all -- it would be just my luck to get a black mark for trying to make a simple exchange work on their site as they tell us to do!  I'm not worried about FB, etc.  I really don't think that's an issue in this case, although who really knows -- maybe this is a competitor trying to give me a sharp pointed stick in the eye, but I doubt it.  Besides, it would be like the proverbial Mexican stand-off -- who dares leave FB first, fearing instant retaliation?

I guess Mr. Elmwood's suggestion of listing at fair (full) value with free shipping might be the only way to make it safely work within eBay.  Then we each pay the same amount to the other, and each go away happy (and agree in advance not to leave any DSRs/FB?).

Yikes, I may just give up on the whole thing...

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Thanks to all for your replies, much appreciated. 

Pierre, I would go the route you suggest, but there's a practical problem -- eBay says it does have to do with eBay because this member contacted me through eBay messages (after viewing my listings). 

So, of course, eBay deleted my message when I attempted to pass along my email address (even in "stealth" format -- those bots are smart).  It's ridiculous, but I don't think I have any way of directly dealing with this person outside of eBay.  I wonder if a phone number and/or address would be verboten?  I might try it.

The other concern in just mailing our items to each other is mutual trust.  I don't want (or need) to use tracking, and I doubt she will -- these are fairly lightweight, and not high value items -- so there would be no way of providing proof of mailing (or of delivery).  And neither of us knows the other, so there's no trading history or commercial relationship to rely on. 

My thanks to 'toby' for the following: "Don't see the point in doing that to make it ebay legit ether, still avoiding fees by doing the undervalued transaction".  The fee avoidance issue hadn't occurred to me at all -- it would be just my luck to get a black mark for trying to make a simple exchange work on their site as they tell us to do!  I'm not worried about FB, etc.  I really don't think that's an issue in this case, although who really knows -- maybe this is a competitor trying to give me a sharp pointed stick in the eye, but I doubt it.  Besides, it would be like the proverbial Mexican stand-off -- who dares leave FB first, fearing instant retaliation?

I guess Mr. Elmwood's suggestion of listing at fair (full) value with free shipping might be the only way to make it safely work within eBay.  Then we each pay the same amount to the other, and each go away happy (and agree in advance not to leave any DSRs/FB?).

Yikes, I may just give up on the whole thing...

That has nothing to do with nothing. Delete the listings and mail them to each other.

You have a nasty case of big brother looking over your shoulder, don't ya!

Photobucket
Message 7 of 45
latest reply

yes its hard to send email adresses.  They still let you attach a photo

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

You have a nasty case of big brother looking over your shoulder, don't ya!

Yup, they've put the fear of the Big Bad Bay into me! Woman LOL

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Aha!!  Got it, thanks!

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

Get the other party's cell phone number, then call / text each other your e-mail if you want to communicate via e-mail... or just text each other? Smiley Wink

No money is changing hands so eBay is not entitled to any final value fees from you two - is my opinion. Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

... or just text each other? Smiley Wink

You must be under 50?  You youngsters are so cute -- I've never even owned a phone/device that I could send texts on.  My cell phone, such as it is, is ancient, and doesn't even take messages Woman Wink

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Great idea!  I never thought of that.  I've tried all sorts of covert methods with no success!

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@zee-chan wrote:

... or just text each other? Smiley Wink

You must be under 50?  You youngsters are so cute -- I've never even owned a phone/device that I could send texts on.  My cell phone, such as it is, is ancient, and doesn't even take messages Woman Wink

That's the first time anyone ever asked me that! Usually it's "What grade are you in?" or "What's your major?" Smiley LOL

The very first cell phone my mom got me when I was a kid also cannot send texts Smiley Happy 

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

I have a cell phone. It is in a drawer and does not work. My Mrs says that is good enough for me.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 45
latest reply

I got a free iPhone from my phone/internet provider and all I use it for is to check the weather.  My nails are too long to text and by the time I find a stylus and type out a couple of sentences, I've received 3 more texts from the impatient person at the other end.

I could so easily live without one.

Message 16 of 45
latest reply

tsk tsk tsk. The regulars here advocating selling outside of ebay and showing members how to circumvent ebay rules. 

Better be careful or you will be banned. 

Better not listen to these people or you might be banned as well. 

Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay

We don't allow our members to use eBay to contact each other to make offers to buy or sell items outside of eBay. Also, members can't use information obtained from eBay to contact each other about buying or selling outside of eBay.

EXAMPLE:

NOT ALLOWED:

Some examples of activities that aren't allowed include:

•  

Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay system to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay

WHY DOES EBAY HAVE THIS POLICY:

Additionally, these offers may be an attempt to avoid eBay fees. This is unfair to other sellers and violates our policies.

Looks to me like some very bad advice being handed out here. 

Unless I am reading this wrong you and this other person contacted each other outside of ebay from the beginning then you are OK to sell outside of Ebay, but if you contacted through ebay, then you are in violation of ebay's policies if you try to sell outside of ebay. 

You are definitely not allowed to circumvent Ebay's restrictions and attempting to show people how to circumvent these restrictions is against ebay policy and also against forum rules. 

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

tsk tsk tsk. The regulars here advocating selling outside of ebay and showing members how to circumvent ebay rules.

Better be careful or you will be banned.

Better not listen to these people or you might be banned as well.

We don't allow our members to use eBay to contact each other to make offers to buy or sell items outside of eBay. Also, members can't use information obtained from eBay to contact each other about buying or selling outside of eBay.

EXAMPLE:

NOT ALLOWED:

Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay system to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay

Additionally, these offers may be an attempt to avoid eBay fees. This is unfair to other sellers and violates our policies.

Unless I am reading this wrong you and this other person contacted each other outside of ebay from the beginning then you are OK to sell outside of Ebay, but if you contacted through ebay, then you are in violation of ebay's policies if you try to sell outside of ebay.

You are definitely not allowed to circumvent Ebay's restrictions and attempting to show people how to circumvent these restrictions is against ebay policy and also against forum rules.

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

EXAMPLE:

NOT ALLOWED:

Additionally, these offers may be an attempt to avoid eBay fees. This is unfair to other sellers and violates our policies.

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

@ack_thbbft wrote:

Just hold on a half a second.  Rose-dee wants to do the right thing ... the discussion has revolved around whether or not this is a violation since no money is changing hands.  In her original post, she has outlined many different ways to achieve this exchange on eBay, all of which are very complex and many of us feel unnecessary since, again, in the end, there is no money involved.  To state that we're all advocating selling outside of eBay is simply not true.

A secondary issue here is the inability to include an e-mail address using the eBay messaging system.  There are countless reasons why one might want to do this and to assume that the reason is to conduct a transaction outside of eBay is absurd!  You meet a lot of nice people during the course of your transactions ... people with whom you have a lot in common and would like to pursue a dialogue.  Perhaps you have mutual friends; perhaps you want to discuss hobbies, travel or any number of things which are so much easier and convenient to do with through personal e-mail messaging.

Message 20 of 45
latest reply