How would you handle this?

I'm wondering if any experienced sellers have ever set up a "swap" transaction on eBay, and how you would do it?

I've had a proposal presented to me by another seller, who wants to exchange a few items I'd be interested in for the same number of items of mine that she is interested in.  Value-wise it's a fair swap. 

I'm thinking that if each of us set up an auction for our items at a mutually agreed time, starting at, say $0.99 with a BIN of, say, $1.50, (and with free shipping), that, if necessary, we could each cancel any other bids that happened to occur.  The auctions would have to have the shortest possible timeframe -- 3 days is the shortest, I believe (I don't run many auctions).

The alternative would be for each of us to create a Fixed Price listing, of say, $1.00 with free shipping, the title consisting of the other's eBay ID, and just one generic picture.  The description would contain only a notice that the listing was for that particular eBayer.  The risk I can see with this is that if someone else picked up the item before the intended purchaser did, we'd have a big problem.  I have  used this approach for my custom listings, but not for a "swap".  BTW, I've been told by an eBay staffer that they no longer want ordinary sellers using "Exclusive" listings -- too bad, that used to be the easy answer years ago. 

I want to try to protect both of us from undue difficulties or trust issues.  My inclination at the moment is to use Plan "A" (mutual auctions).  Any other suggestions?  I don't really want to do this outside eBay, for various reasons.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: How would you handle this?

Hi everyone,

Please remember to keep the discussion friendly. Hostile comments/interpersonal disputes may result in warnings and/or the thread being locked.

Thank you for helping us keep the boards welcoming for everyone!

LizzieR-CA

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

The people do not seem very friendly here and do gang up.

I have yet to have anyone answer my questions. They have all been personal attacks with some outright and others sideways comments. Either way, they don't seem very nice.

It is very disappointing.

As for condescending. It's called in other forums, link or stink.

That is, you don't just say something without backup. So I cut and pasted info from ebay's rules and policies.

It's very interesting and telling that this thread can continue on without anyone willing to answer my two questions.

As of this time, there are hundreds of ebayers who have read this thread and by reading specific posters info can now circumvent ebay's block on sharing email addresses. If that's OK, then just explain why when as I understand it it completeley and directly violates ebay's policies.

Or just ignore it, that's fine too.

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

To ack:

I wanted to give you the courtesy of replying to your further post, since you believe I didn't address your earlier points. 

I'm not sure I understand why this topic has elicited such anger on your part -- are you a seller who has been restricted by eBay due to similar issues by any chance?

I'll try to reply (again) to your comments (in italics):

What I said was that posters were showing how to circumvent Ebay's blocks on sharing email addresses. This is against ebay policy and against these forum rules.

And I did agree with you, strictly speaking, if you'll re-read my earlier post.  However, the problem with the blocks on sharing contact information is that these are run by robotic programmes ("bots") that can't exercise judgment. 

So, for example, in this situation, where someone wants to send me something (for free) and I'm happy to provide something for free as a gesture of thanks in exchange, the "bots" aren't going to understand the distinction, and will simply delete an email with any "key" words in it.  There are no people looking at the correspondence and applying reasonable judgment.  Similarly, if a customer to whom I've sold an item gets in touch with me a month later (through eBay messages) and wants to share more than 5 photos of an item they've made from one of my designs (or just keep in touch), it's difficult. 

In other words, I think the poster who suggested a "workaround" for communicating understood the situation well vis-a-vis the rather arbitrary "bots", and understood that there was no intention of depriving eBay of its fees in this scenario, because there would be virtually no fees on items with nominal value. 

The other side of this coin is that it may be unfair to both parties for eBay to expect fees to be paid at all in such circumstances. 

I also said that while you did not say the items were listed, that another posters specifically advised to delist listed items and sell them outside of ebay. That too is against ebay policy.

This suggestion, it is true, is more problematic, and was not the wisest piece of advice to post in this case (aside from the poster not understanding that my item wasn't a listed item).  However, details can alter whether this is strictly against eBay's policy or not.  For example, if a customer contacts me weeks after a sale, using my personal email information from her Paypal records, and asks if I can delist an item and sell it directly (or create something similar for direct sale), this is clearly beyond the purview of eBay's policies. 

I went on to say that anyone who follows this advice is going to get themselves in trouble eventually with ebay. Is this not true?

Well, I do agree that this could happen, perhaps to those who didn't read my initial post carefully, or who may be inexperienced as sellers and take the advice at face value.  As I mentioned, because the eBay message system is policed by "bots", it's unlikely any awkward attempts at circumventing it would directly affect a seller's status.  You simply get your email message deleted before it's sent. 

I am not going to argue with you about both being sellers. That is clearly impossible. If one is selliing, then one is buying. There is no way around that.  Regardless of the level of value of the item, you both perceive value in the items.

I disagree still.  Why should eBay intervene to tell the two of us that there must be a specific monetary value set on these items if we two sellers agree they are without any inherent value, i.e. both equally valueless?  You're thinking far too narrowly in terms of a regular eBay transaction.  Is it the fact that she contacted me via eBay that is the main objection, or the fact that you see there is fee avoidance, or both? 

I frequently tuck in a small item of low value, free of charge, to my customers as a special thank-you on larger purchases.  Should I be listing those items for sale?  The analogy is the same.  My item in this case is a gesture of thanks to someone who contacted me to let me know they'd send me something that is worthless to them (and to most people on the planet), but that I may be able to turn into something of value, given time and effort.  Believe it or not, she was not looking to sell anything, but was actually being kind and realized she'd found someone who might be able to preserve something that would otherwise be tossed in the garbage.  As a matter of fact, I may never be able to make anything saleable of it -- my interest in this item goes beyond mere money.  It is more in the realm of restoration and preservation. 

You both were introduced via ebay and both wish to transact with each other. If you do want to then you have an obligation to do that transaction within the ebay evironment.

While I agree that she found me as a result of seeing what I sell on eBay, I disagree that there is a transaction involved, in any sense of a usual eBay transaction (see my remarks above).  Hence I don't feel there is any obligation to involve eBay.

The fact that your actions are actively blocked by ebay are proof that that is how ebay perceives it.

Again, eBay "bots" that arbitrarily block everything on their pre-programmed list are not "perceiving" anything; there is no judgment or consideration of the circumstances, and no proof of anything.  As I said, my correspondent worked out how to find me through other channels (I have a website with my email information on it).

I apologize if I was condescending but was just trying to explain things in a logical way as it appeared that people were giving advice that was against ebay policies.

I appreciate your apology, and I understand your initial concern.

I see from the responses that people aren't really interested in advice. Maybe I misunderstood this was  a public forum and not a private messaging system.

I am interested in all suggestions and opinions, as long as they are presented in a respectful and courteous way.  I've appreciated everyone who has posted on this situation, as it is admittedly a difficult one to parse.  

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

Rose-Dee - It appears I was wrong in my original suggestion.

The question about trading goods not listed on eBay - with no money changing hands -  was raised today at the Weekly Board Hour.

Raphael, answering on behalf of eBay:

"The eBay platform does not facilitate bartering for items between members. Hence, as per policy, this would be considered a form a fee avoidance and sellers are not permitted to engage in such an activity via the communications channels provided by eBay."

When asked if this policy reminds him of Big Brother, Raphael offered:

"Not at all. We're only regulating what happens on our platform, of which no one is a prisoner.

If we were to allow people to do what you suggest, how would we differentiate between that and people who decide to take eBay transactions off platform? It would mean additional work force to monitor member to member communications, make the call as to what is simple barter and what is off-site transactions, and that additional workforce and effort would have to be reflected in your eBay fees."

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Rose-Dee - It appears I was wrong in my original suggestion.

The question about trading goods not listed on eBay - with no money changing hands -  was raised today at the Weekly Board Hour.

Raphael, answering on behalf of eBay:

"The eBay platform does not facilitate bartering for items between members. Hence, as per policy, this would be considered a form a fee avoidance and sellers are not permitted to engage in such an activity via the communications channels provided by eBay."

When asked if this policy reminds him of Big Brother, Raphael offered:

"Not at all. We're only regulating what happens on our platform, of which no one is a prisoner.

If we were to allow people to do what you suggest, how would we differentiate between that and people who decide to take eBay transactions off platform? It would mean additional work force to monitor member to member communications, make the call as to what is simple barter and what is off-site transactions, and that additional workforce and effort would have to be reflected in your eBay fees."

Yes, I saw all this today, but unfortunately it still doesn't deal with a situation where there is no inherent value involved.  How can it be fee avoidance if the items are essentially free, and if each party agrees there is no intrinsic value? 

I didn't have time to ask this question today, and while I understand what Raphael is saying, my arrangement is not a "transaction" in the normal sense of exchange of goods from a seller for money from a buyer. 

The real root of the problem, as I see it, is exactly as Raphael describes: eBay has no way of distinguishing between communications related to normal eBay transactions and all other communications, so they had to ban everything.  Raphael has in fact confirmed that the scenario you presented is different from "two people who decide to take eBay transactions off-platform".  Hence it is not "eBay illegal", but they simply have no way of telling which is which. 

Oh well.  In the end, my correspondent found me through another route, she will be mailing her item to me because she knows I won't discard it and may even be able to restore it, and I'll mail her a gift to thank her for thinking of me.  EBay couldn't make a cent in fees from her item even if she listed it with an imaginary value -- in its current state, it's completely unsaleable junk (and I'm expert enough in the area to know). 

Message 45 of 45
latest reply