I Updated Preferred Payment to Credit Card AFTER purchasing CP Shipping label, will it charge to CC?

Hello everyone,

I just sold my first item in a very long time... (stopped listing long ago but decided to throw a few items up from time to time)

...went through the shipping label purchase and printed it but I realized they didn't give me an option to choose to pay with Credit Card. I went to payment options and noticed I had to choose "Preferred for selling costs" when adding a credit card. So my question is, will the Canada Post shipping label be charged to the credit card even though I set it as "preferred" after I printed the label? I believe I read somewhere they don't charge for the label until after it is shipped is that correct?

Also, it's hard to find the shipping label purchase details in my sellers hub.

Even though I started selling on here in 2006 I feel like a newbie again with all the changes.

Thanks in advance to all who reply 🙂

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: I Updated Preferred Payment to Credit Card AFTER purchasing CP Shipping label, will it charge to

I don't think that labels will automatically be billed to your credit card.  In my case, shipping has always come from my Available Funds in MP a couple of days after I have printed the label.   My secondary source is my bank account so I am guessing that if I didn't have available funds they would take the amount from my bank account but I haven't had that happen yet.   If you don't have funds available in MP, I suspect that they will keep negative balance for a bit before they would bill it to your credit card but I'm just guessing.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: I Updated Preferred Payment to Credit Card AFTER purchasing CP Shipping label, will it charge to

Okay. The world has changed. Fasten your seatbelt.

You must now be signed up for Managed Payments.

EBay and Paypal have parted ways. Buyers can still pay with a card, or Paypal and now with ApplePay and GooglePay, but to receive those payments you need an MP account.

So.

Do you have an existing chequing account with a Canadian bank?

That's the first thing you need.

And you will need some secondary identification- just as all of us did when this changeover started in  2020.

I used my passport. DH used his driving license. EBay asks for your SIN, but you are never required to supply that. You can if you want.

Don't use the micro-payments option. It doesn't seem to work with the currency exchange.

This can be frustrating to set up.

If you don't have a chequing (not savings) account, many sellers have set up a new online account specifically for online transactions.  I chose Simplii (CIBC) (because they mail me paper statements and I am old and set in my ways.)  but others like Tangerine (TD).

When you are told you have a cleared payment, it will still be Held for up to 21 days. Don't panic, this is a Buyer Protection and every new/returning seller faces it. Sigh.

If you can provide tracking/proof of delivery, the Hold is shorter.

With MP you can't run a balance as we could with PP. ( So we can't use our payments to buy on eBay. Someone forgot about that.)

Instead your cleared payments are transferred to that chequing account weekly**.

This is a lot to take in at once.

It can be frustrating. Please come back if you need advice or a place to vent.

FWIW- I had some troubles setting up MP accounts but once they were in place, all the Held funds (two months worth!!!) were promptly transferred. 

*It is beyond annoying that new, returning and occasional sellers can upload a listing without having this set up in advance. tyler@ebay 

** There are other options, but steady sellers can look on it as a weekly paycheque. Or not.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

You can still use cleared payments to buy shipping labels. I'm a stamps on the box shipper so I can't tell you much about that, but someone will Real Soon Now.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

"It is beyond annoying that new, returning and occasional sellers can upload a listing without having this set up in advance."

It does just boggle the mind.  How many new thread posters are in the weeds because of this, and that would be the tip tip of the iceberg of the total.      When paypal got pulled, there were hard stop dates that MP had to be put in place or you lost the ability to list.  I don't see why anyone should be able to list without MP set up, it is just asking for delays and problems for buyers and hurting the Ebay name.    With the risk mitigations in place for new sellers, this is a huge hole. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Hi Femmefan, Thanks for your reply 😁

Yeah, I have the MP all set up and confirmed with the 2 micro payments so no problems there you won't be annoyed since I had that set up already LOL. Not really different than setting up the PayPal link to bank account. So no problem there.

The payment is on hold. Says until March sometime LOL but I'm not worry about that either.

But my issue is, when I purchased the shipping label it didn't tell me where it was being charged to nor did it give me a choice. After the fact I chose "Preferred for selling costs" on the credit card settings.

I have a cash back credit card so that works better since I use that for everything and pay the full balance every month to avoid any interest of course since interest would defeat the purpose of using it LOL. At the end of the year the cash back pretty much pays for my Christmas shopping LOL.

I finally found where the label transaction is in seller hub but it doesn't say where it was charged to and I don't see it in my bank or credit card transactions. Usually you'll see charged to card ending in 1234 but I don't see anything like that anywhere on the transaction. In the label email it just says "Payment - Billed Now".

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I suspect that means it was charged to your MP account.

As I said, I don't use labels often so another would have to confirm how you can check that.

I assume you also have a Solutions for Small Business account set up with the post office?

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

Since other newbies and returnees may read this, it's worthwhile adding that info to any question about shipping.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Ok Thanks again femmefan...guess I'll will have to wait and see.

The payment on hold says the full payment minus just the ebay fees, so I will see if they deduct the label price from that or if it appears in the bank or credit card transactions today, tomorrow or what not.

Yeah, I still have a Solutions for Small Business. Do I need to connect that to here on ebay somehow or isn't the discount on here the same as that? I believe when I purchased shipping labels on PayPal I think that is how I was set up with Canada Post Solutions for Small Business and received the card in the mail.

I've considered stamps like you since I purchased a lot at a huge discount, but the shipping charge of $20something would require a lot of stamps since I have a lot of lower value stamps but just wanted to take the easy route with this package.

It's not a large box at 34x28x12cm. The actual weight of package I entered was 1.2 KG and the weight they converted to on label was almost double that at 2.29 KG which is weird. I don't think I ever noticed that when I shipped before.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I don't think that labels will automatically be billed to your credit card.  In my case, shipping has always come from my Available Funds in MP a couple of days after I have printed the label.   My secondary source is my bank account so I am guessing that if I didn't have available funds they would take the amount from my bank account but I haven't had that happen yet.   If you don't have funds available in MP, I suspect that they will keep negative balance for a bit before they would bill it to your credit card but I'm just guessing.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@pjcdn2005  knows more about dimensional shipping charges.

It's not just weight anymore.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@grandmas-great-items wrote:

Yeah, I still have a Solutions for Small Business. Do I need to connect that to here on ebay somehow or isn't the discount on here the same as that? I believe when I purchased shipping labels on PayPal I think that is how I was set up with Canada Post Solutions for Small Business and received the card in the mail.

No you don't have to connect your small business account. Ebay automatically gives everyone the level one discount and it is NOT associated with your small business account. Those who qualfy for a level 2 or higher discount probably don't use ebay for printing labels.

It's not a large box at 34x28x12cm. The actual weight of package I entered was 1.2 KG and the weight they converted to on label was almost double that at 2.29 KG which is weird. I don't think I ever noticed that when I shipped before.

Canada Post has shows the weight on the label as the dimensional weight if that is more than the actual weight. 

34x28x12cm = 11424/5000=2.28

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Ok thanks pjcdn2005 😁

I'll reply here when I figure out which one they charged the label to. I just prefer the cash back credit card because the cash back adds up over time. I'll reply here when I figure out what they charged the label to.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thanks again pjcdn2005

Ok I thought ebay gave the same discount as Canada Post so that's good.

And your calculation is bang on... 👍 the weight they have on the package is 2.29 kg

Edit to add a link to the volumetric weight on Canada Post:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/abcs-of-mailing/examples-of-how-to-cu...

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

This is what has happened. It just posted today as a negative balance.

The payment is on hold so I hope your final guess about the credit card is correct just for the cash back. There is no benefit for me by them deducting from the MP or even from my bank account funds.

Thanks again for all who replied 😁

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

If you sell something else shortly I'm sure the postage will come out of that amount.  They probably have to pay extra to charge it to a credit card so  probably aren't in a rush to do that.

On .com the sellers have the option of billing the labels to PP.  Some sellers do that and then have their cc as the default on PP.  For some reason we are not able to do that.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I've had Store fees taken from my bank accounts when the subcription fee hits on a Wednesday but the bank transfer took place on Tuesday.

Another unexpected result along with the inability to carry balances and to buy with Held MP balances.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply